• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Uber Officially Expanding into Hazelwood (Almono Site)

MasterKNinja

It's official? Uber's been eyeing this location for a while now. I'm wondering what the long term prospects for Hazelwood are with development like this coming in. Is it the next Lawrenceville or East Liberty, pretty radical gentrification from 20 years ago, or more like Homestead after the Waterfront opened? Which seems to not have changed much.

Last edited:

MikesUber

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
It's official? Uber's been eyeing this location for a while now. I'm wondering what the long term prospects for Hazelwood are with development like this coming in. Is it the next Lawrenceville or East Liberty, pretty radical gentrification from 20 years ago, or more like Homestead after the Waterfront opened? Which seems to not have changed much.
Official because until this announcement I haven't seen any definitive statement from Uber or the city of Pittsburgh about Uber's commitment to expand into Hazelwood. This blog post from Uber puts it in writing, previously they were just looking at it as an option which you mentioned.

They also state the test track will be temporary, "Uber’s plan includes construction of temporary test roadways and development of a green space along Tecumseh Street. Mr. O’Connor has said the test roadways could be in place three to five years and then removed." (Post-Gazette) There will be some impact while Uber is here but the space will eventually be used for long term housing (CBS Local).

There's much to be done in Hazelwood to transform the area, I see more ROI coming from further developing East Liberty.

Blunt power