Uber Office (someone with a brain)

Frontier Guy

Decided to swing by the Uber office today and discuss an issue, specifically Coors Field. The "braintrust" I initially dealt with was slightly more helpful than the app.. As we were wrapping things up, and him realizing that I was smarter than he, "Drew" came in. Not sure who Drew is, I think he like #2 for the Denver area, but he was definitely smarter than the other guy.

1. Coors Field, the map that KevRyde posted in the thread I started a few months back about Coors Field, showing MVP/VIP pickup areas is not valid, I explained that we have no access to those lots and the cops and Coors Field staff will chase us out. They aren't sure when that map came out, but they are working on trying to get things sorted out with Coors Field, Mile Hi, Pepsi Center, Fiddlers Green and Dick Sporting Goods field. All they can really say is be patient and ask the pax to work with us (drivers) until things get sorted, BUT, using that intersection or 21st and Market are definitely better options than 20th and Blake, also if possible use the alleys between Blake and Market and 23rd and 21st.

2. DIA, they finally are acknowledging that Tower Rd and Pikes Peak lots are a joke, and totally unrealistic. They are trying to get something worked out with DIA, the idea of parking in short term and going inside is a no-no, DIA parking monitors are instructed to tow Uber/Lyft vehicles if they catch us parking in there and going inside to get a pax (supposedly the inside of the airport is geofenced). They are hoping once the new short term lot is completed on the E. side, they can get something worked out for us. They realize "loops" is a waste of gas, but truthfully, they and DIA acknowledge there really isn't a better option, a suggestion was if nothing pops in 20 minutes, go back downtown, FIFO only works for black cars, and as someone else mentioned, Uber Black fares out of DIA are akin to Hens teeth.

3. They admit they are onboarding too much, but, supposedly they are also having a high turnover, he claimed they are at 30% month to month turnover.

4. They are looking at possibly trying to setup new sub-vehicle categories, within the existing categories. For people like myself and a few other that have pickups as well as some of the larger minivans, creating a "+" subcategory to UberX, Select and XL. This would work for in the winter, as well as people with larger airport trips where an Xl would be inappropriate for the number of people, but not for the amount of luggage ie; skiers in the winter to/from ski areas (vehicles with ski racks, or those of us with pickups where the skis could be put in back), or 4 people but large amounts of luggage which wouldn't be appropriate for regular car or SUV, or other similar situations.

5. They are also looking to work up a marketing campaign to combat the A-Train as well as lies of the Taxi's. Specifically as brought up in a different thread, you take a party of 2 or 3 to Union Station, they've already paid Uber/Lyft $5.00 to $7.00 for the fare, then they have to pay $9.00/pp for the train. While for one person that might be acceptable, for 2 or more people, unless surge or PT is happening, Uber/Lyft essentially cost the same. I also brought up the comment from someone else about a cabbie lying to a pax about the fare from DIA to Downtown, and then charging her higher than $50 for the trip, that would have cost $27 to $35 with Uber/Lyft.

6. Uber itself is also looking at adjusting what qualifies as X, Select, XL in some markets, as they are not overly realistic for the market. I brought up that I've had several pax comment that they thought my pickup was Select or XL, and almost rejected it. FWIW, he came out and looked at my truck and agreed, that with the exception of leather, my vehicle is clean enough, and new enough (2015 model) that it should almost qualify for Select, he said they've discussed that Uber's standards need to vary by market, what might be considered one thing in L.A. or SFO, might not be the same in Denver, Dallas, or other markets. This discussion also tied in with the discussion about creating a "+" subcategory within X and Select.

Obviously, as we all know, they like to lie in order to hear themselves talk, and to make us feel like we have a voice, but the guy I talked to also said that they have been hearing these issues from others, so perhaps there is some reality. He said DIA and the meter maids are the biggest sources of headaches for them.

Uberbrethren

Decided to swing by the Uber office today and discuss an issue, specifically Coors Field. The "braintrust" I initially dealt with was slightly more helpful than the app.. As we were wrapping things up, and him realizing that I was smarter than he, "Drew" came in. Not sure who Drew is, I think he like #2 for the Denver area, but he was definitely smarter than the other guy.

1. Coors Field, the map that KevRyde posted in the thread I started a few months back about Coors Field, showing MVP/VIP pickup areas is not valid, I explained that we have no access to those lots and the cops and Coors Field staff will chase us out. They aren't sure when that map came out, but they are working on trying to get things sorted out with Coors Field, Mile Hi, Pepsi Center, Fiddlers Green and &%[email protected]!* Sporting Goods field. All they can really say is be patient and ask the pax to work with us (drivers) until things get sorted, BUT, using that intersection or 21st and Market are definitely better options than 20th and Blake, also if possible use the alleys between Blake and Market and 23rd and 21st.

2. DIA, they finally are acknowledging that Tower Rd and Pikes Peak lots are a joke, and totally unrealistic. They are trying to get something worked out with DIA, the idea of parking in short term and going inside is a no-no, DIA parking monitors are instructed to tow Uber/Lyft vehicles if they catch us parking in there and going inside to get a pax (supposedly the inside of the airport is geofenced). They are hoping once the new short term lot is completed on the E. side, they can get something worked out for us. They realize "loops" is a waste of gas, but truthfully, they and DIA acknowledge there really isn't a better option, a suggestion was if nothing pops in 20 minutes, go back downtown, FIFO only works for black cars, and as someone else mentioned, Uber Black fares out of DIA are akin to Hens teeth.

3. They admit they are onboarding too much, but, supposedly they are also having a high turnover, he claimed they are at 30% month to month turnover.

4. They are looking at possibly trying to setup new sub-vehicle categories, within the existing categories. For people like myself and a few other that have pickups as well as some of the larger minivans, creating a "+" subcategory to UberX, Select and XL. This would work for in the winter, as well as people with larger airport trips where an Xl would be inappropriate for the number of people, but not for the amount of luggage ie; skiers in the winter to/from ski areas (vehicles with ski racks, or those of us with pickups where the skis could be put in back), or 4 people but large amounts of luggage which wouldn't be appropriate for regular car or SUV, or other similar situations.

5. They are also looking to work up a marketing campaign to combat the A-Train as well as lies of the Taxi's. Specifically as brought up in a different thread, you take a party of 2 or 3 to Union Station, they've already paid Uber/Lyft $5.00 to $7.00 for the fare, then they have to pay $9.00/pp for the train. While for one person that might be acceptable, for 2 or more people, unless surge or PT is happening, Uber/Lyft essentially cost the same. I also brought up the comment from someone else about a cabbie lying to a pax about the fare from DIA to Downtown, and then charging her higher than $50 for the trip, that would have cost $27 to $35 with Uber/Lyft.

6. Uber itself is also looking at adjusting what qualifies as X, Select, XL in some markets, as they are not overly realistic for the market. I brought up that I've had several pax comment that they thought my pickup was Select or XL, and almost rejected it. FWIW, he came out and looked at my truck and agreed, that with the exception of leather, my vehicle is clean enough, and new enough (2015 model) that it should almost qualify for Select, he said they've discussed that Uber's standards need to vary by market, what might be considered one thing in L.A. or SFO, might not be the same in Denver, Dallas, or other markets. This discussion also tied in with the discussion about creating a "+" subcategory within X and Select.

Obviously, as we all know, they like to lie in order to hear themselves talk, and to make us feel like we have a voice, but the guy I talked to also said that they have been hearing these issues from others, so perhaps there is some reality. He said DIA and the meter maids are the biggest sources of headaches for them.
Great stuff, Frontier Guy. Drivers being direct and honest with the company is a good thing. It's the only way they are going to be able to change, adapt and improve.

FAC

Thanks for the update and good information. One comment you made...

They are trying to get something worked out with DIA, the idea of parking in short term and going inside is a no-no, DIA parking monitors are instructed to tow Uber/Lyft vehicles if they catch us parking in there and going inside to get a pax (supposedly the inside of the airport is geofenced).
I'd be rather upset if my car was towed because I have U/L trade dress sticker and I was there for personal reasons not for a pickup.

mattadams

Thanks for the info! Those are some interesting updates! I don't do Coors Field myself, but really wish they could come up with something better for the airport.

Frontier Guy

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks for the update and good information. One comment you made...

I'd be rather upset if my car was towed because I have U/L trade dress sticker and I was there for personal reasons not for a pickup.
Obviously a good reason to not have your trade dress in the window if there for personal reasons

Jimmy Bernat

Man I don't know I feel like whoever was talking to you was blowing a lot of smoke up your ass

Those Greenlight employees don't know shit especially the thought of a tier between UberX and UberXL , as if passengers aren't confused enough lets add an UberPickupTruck option . FrontierGuy you're going to be so screwed if that was an option , I'm sure you know as a pickup owner you are now the person everyone calls whenever they want to move, buy furniture etc.. Now you'll be everyone's friend that has a pickup , it's one of the biggest reasons I no longer own a pick up (use to have a a Dodge 1500 with a gas friendly Hemi lol)

I've thought for sometime that inside of DIA was geofenced since I have never gotten a ride request inside the airport , I usually only go in there for the bathroom or to possible grab a bite while I wait for a large amount of planes to arrive and to maybe let i70 west clear up a bit ha I'm not so sure about the towing thing , as there si a lot of grey area there. I have parked in short term and used the restroom dozens of times . For DIA there is really only two options #1 keep it how it is or #2 create a holding lot with FIFO . Which is weird he said doesn't work for anything but Black since so many cities have that system in place . With a holding lot that usually has portapotties and the lot becoming somewhat of a Rideshare driver social meet

Coorsfield definitely needs a better pick up thing . Could work just like the airport where something could pop up saying to go to a certain area for pick up . But the better option is just stay away from Coors Field, if I find myself around Coors Field while a game is letting out and I get a request with a decent surge I call the PAX find there location and then instruct them to walk to closest pickup spot that I have created in my mind that's within in a block or two from their location . If they have a problem with it I either cancel the ride . Coors field doesn't even get a good surge after a game . So it's really not worth it
I personally avoid working the LoDo area like the plague and stick to the other less BROcentric neighborhoods surrounding that area

FAC

Man I don't know I feel like whoever was talking to you was blowing a lot of smoke up your ass

Those Greenlight employees don't know shit especially the thought of a tier between UberX and UberXL , as if passengers aren't confused enough lets add an UberPickupTruck option . FrontierGuy you're going to be so screwed if that was an option , I'm sure you know as a pickup owner you are now the person everyone calls whenever they want to move, buy furniture etc.. Now you'll be everyone's friend that has a pickup , it's one of the biggest reasons I no longer own a pick up (use to have a a Dodge 1500 with a gas friendly Hemi lol)

I've thought for sometime that inside of DIA was geofenced since I have never gotten a ride request inside the airport , I usually only go in there for the bathroom or to possible grab a bite while I wait for a large amount of planes to arrive and to maybe let i70 west clear up a bit ha I'm not so sure about the towing thing , as there si a lot of grey area there. I have parked in short term and used the restroom dozens of times . For DIA there is really only two options #1 keep it how it is or #2 create a holding lot with FIFO . Which is weird he said doesn't work for anything but Black since so many cities have that system in place . With a holding lot that usually has portapotties and the lot becoming somewhat of a Rideshare driver social meet

Coorsfield definitely needs a better pick up thing . Could work just like the airport where something could pop up saying to go to a certain area for pick up . But the better option is just stay away from Coors Field, if I find myself around Coors Field while a game is letting out and I get a request with a decent surge I call the PAX find there location and then instruct them to walk to closest pickup spot that I have created in my mind that's within in a block or two from their location . If they have a problem with it I either cancel the ride . Coors field doesn't even get a good surge after a game . So it's really not worth it
I personally avoid working the LoDo area like the plague and stick to the other less BROcentric neighborhoods surrounding that area
I'm in complete agreement about Coors Field and lowdo. I'll drop someone off but I turn off the app immediately afterwards. I will not do another pickup in lo do. One violent experience with a drunk pax was one too many.

Uber has Red Rocks figured out. I wish they do the same for fiddlers green that place is worse than them all after a concert. Never experienced Mile High after a game and don't intend to since I'll be going to all the games. Let me think, going to a Bronco game and sitting on the 50 just 3 rows from the field or picking up ungrateful pax after a bronco game. Tough decision but gotta stay with my first choice. Go to the game :smiles:

Jimmy Bernat

I'm in complete agreement about Coors Field and lowdo. I'll drop someone off but I turn off the app immediately afterwards. I will not do another pickup in lo do. One violent experience with a drunk pax was one too many.

Uber has Red Rocks figured out. I wish they do the same for fiddlers green that place is worse than them all after a concert. Never experienced Mile High after a game and don't intend to since I'll be going to all the games. Let me think, going to a Bronco game and sitting on the 50 just 3 rows from the field or picking up ungrateful pax after a bronco game. Tough decision but gotta stay with my first choice. Go to the game :smiles:
Ive tried leaving Broncos game after attending and it's such a nightmare I choose to walk 3 miles home rather then deal with that madness lol
I am not a broncos fan more of a broncos supporter but I won't be caught dead working broncos games.
Coors field holds about 50k people but rarely comes close filling more then half the seats unless it's a big draw opponent or fireworks
Mile high holds almost 80k people and sells out every game
Pepsi center holds less then 20k people

I avoid Pepsi center and Coors event and they're nowhere near the same occupancy

Frontier Guy

I already figure he is

They way he and I were talking was something that would be a downgraded version XL, solely for like trips to the ski areas or someone with bikes or a lot of luggage, not for other hauling. I think I would be rejecting those anyhow. Yes, it is my truck, no I won't help you move.

I think it will depend on the airport, he and a couple of others have already commented that Uber black requests from the airport are rare, but a FIFO system for X, Select and XL would work, they just need a lot for us to stage. Hence, perhaps once the new E. side parking structure is complete.

He said they are trying to get something sorted with Fiddlers, and then work on the other venues. One of my neighbors has been getting quite a few rides out of Dick's Sporting Goods in Commerce City after the Rapids games. Said he hung out there one night, did 3 $5.00 trips, then got one going to Boulder. They almost always surge after the game. I believe there is a pickup area for us on the So. side of the arena, but traffic can be a nightmare.

Jimmy Bernat

I've yet to do a pick up at fiddler's, red rocks
Done one pick up at Ducks but the guy met me on Quebec

Anytime i get a Pepsi center pick up I instruct them to go to the gas station or I don't pick them up

Coors field just blows

Ive done event pickups at mile high but not broncos games just the other smaller things they do there

I'll do event drop offs but I just can't do event pick ups too much Hassel

FAC

Ive tried leaving Broncos game after attending and it's such a nightmare I choose to walk 3 miles home rather then deal with that madness lol
I am not a broncos fan more of a broncos supporter but I won't be caught dead working broncos games.
Coors field holds about 50k people but rarely comes close filling more then half the seats unless it's a big draw opponent or fireworks
Mile high holds almost 80k people and sells out every game
Pepsi center holds less then 20k people

I avoid Pepsi center and Coors event and they're nowhere near the same occupancy
I used to have the perfect system. Park downtown at the Westin. Take a cab over. This is one instance cabs actually are better because they know where the drop off location is on the east side. I'm dropped off right by my door. After the game I'd take the market street bus back downtown and walk a block to the Westin and have dinner at the Palm. But union station changed all that. When the new terminal was opened the market street terminal closed. Now it's a complete disaster. The cab line is forever long. Or you walk a mile to light rail and wait an hour. Or call an uber and have a 50/50 chance of getting picked up. But Uber kinda screwed up the cab lines because the number of cabs available is now shrunk. Getting an uber to my location has yet to work.

Since I have a fear of crowds I typically leave the game early. Luckily my seats are on the aisle but since they are so close to the field of you don't leave early your smashed like sardines while all the aisles above you clear before you can leave. If I plan it right, I can stay for the final seconds but then have bolt almost run up the stairs. Hopefully missing the crowds and don't wait too long for a ride. Yeah I know it's bit odd that someone with a fear of crowds will knowingly put myself in a postion of being stuck in one. Just goes to show I'm a true blue Bronco fan. Dad got his season tickets back in 1965 when it was still Bears stadium. His seats were wooden bleachers first row, 50 yard line. I was four when i went to my first game and I miss the old Mile High and still passionately hate Sports authority field. I hope Denver buys backs the field name since sports authority has gone bankrupt. That was a dirty trick they played on the fans when we voted for the stadium promising they would never sell the rights to Mile High Stadium. Instead they sold the sponsorship rights of the field.

Frontier Guy

I've yet to do a pick up at fiddler's, red rocks
Done one pick up at Ducks but the guy met me on Quebec

Anytime i get a Pepsi center pick up I instruct them to go to the gas station or I don't pick them up

Coors field just blows

Ive done event pickups at mile high but not broncos games just the other smaller things they do there

I'll do event drop offs but I just can't do event pick ups too much Hassel

See and Pepsi Center, I park on 11th St., and tell them to meet me either at 11th and Chopper or by the Transportation tent, although security will chase away from the tent, usually I then go around the round about and pick up across from the tent

Jimmy Bernat

I picked up a post Adele ride from 17th and Wewatta last night 3.8x UberSelect ride
So I almost prefer to try to snag rides away from the stadium , same surge without the hassel

Reactions: FAC

Don Garden

Could you imagine working in the office and seeing people on the internet forum banding together and calling you idiots. I would crap myself knowing every time I spoke with someone, I may be staring down the barrel of an internet hate pistol. Either that or they laugh at people like us for having a bunch of crack pot conspiracy theories, or being convinced we know their product better than them. Could go either way I suppose!

Uber are definitely the ones who can kick in the doors at Coors Field or DIA and demand their own staging areas (if anyone can).

R44KDEN

There's actually room at the Commercial Holding lot for UberX to stage - they would just need to hire people to herd everyone and carefully plan and map out the staging area for ALL drivers and ALL vehicles. It would cost Uber some money, but it could be fixed. Whether or not the bureaucracy at DIA would be open to the idea is another matter, but as in all things Uber related, throw enough money at the problem and it eventually goes away.