• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Uber Off!

KeJorn

It's funny how many companies want their brand name to become a verb (like this guy, Steve Pint); yet some companies achieve that in both realms of positive and negative publicity, such as Uber. :smiles:

"Did you uber to the bar?"
"Uber Off!"

Anyways, I digress...

So more and more I feel like Uber is creating a hostile business environment between Uber management and drivers. As if their disdain for drivers is so apparent and obvious, that they seem to forget we are literally where the rubber-meets-the-road in the face-to-face customer relations and income production aspects of their business model. Clearly it doesn't help when Uber brass make statements like, "Because we can" or they demonstrate their cut throat nature against the media with statements like, "Nobody would know it was us.".

However, the rate cuts and partner support are the most obvious and hard hitting evidence where Uber demonstrates their technological aristocracy, "let them eat cake" attitude. As if we should continue to thank them for the wonderful business opportunity they provide us while looking down their nose when we complain about the rate cuts or ask that we be compensated a cleaning fee when a pax spills a drink on our seats. Their greatest weapon are the denial-savvy CSRs that either continue to regurgitate canned responses that show no digestion of our specific concerns or flat out deny and ignore us with the attitude of, "What are you going to do about it? Uber backs our stance, they do not back you." We have recently learned how Uber has weeded out their more cooperative CSRs that were willing to ensure we were properly compensated and now redirects those requests to the more skilled, Cleaning Fee Nazis.

We have also recently learned that Uber is hemorrhaging millions of dollars every month. While I am sure there are plenty of points these leaks are taking place: such as from lawsuits, legal proceedings, bailing out driver vehicles that get impounded in new markets they are trying to aggressively infiltrate, not too mention recent rate cuts that surely must be affecting their bottom line. Yet the only evidence thus far to correct this, seems to enact steps that continue the same downward spiral of negative impact: Charging new drivers higher percentages, obstructing cleaning fee requests, embracing the revolving door policy of new drivers and allowing the veterans to fall to the wayside. Do they honestly think that word is not getting around and people are hearing the horror stories from drivers, riders, and even previous cities where Uber has forced their way in? Do they refuse to acknowledge that these new markets and new potential riders and drivers are deciding to avoid Uber or block Uber from entry into their city because of their bad behavior? Are they really that tone deaf that they cannot hear the music playing or too blind to see the writing on the wall??

Dear Uber, your partner drivers are NOT your enemy. Stop treating them like one.

We SHOULD be your strongest asset. We should be the one thing that sets Uber apart from the aging decrepit systems that are still sluggish to revamp or update despite the rising tide of expectations that Uber has helped provide a voice to via the market. But to do that, you have to embrace the drivers, Uber.

You start by ending this crusade to drive prices so low that even crackheads in dire need of a fix and low on money see Uber as a real option to get over to their local dealer. Think about the customer base you are attracting. Think about the quality you want us to provide and realize they are NOT compatible right now.

Ensure that we are adequately protected in the event of an accident. 5 years later, UberX drivers are still not well protected. Fix it. This is simply unsatisfactory.

Ensure your drivers are well informed of changes that affect them, whether it relates to local laws and city policies or new projects you are rolling out that we as drivers are expected to support or at least be knowledgeable of when riders ask us about them. Do not tell us that we have to obtain an airport "pre-approved" sticker starting on Monday by going to a transportation office that opens at 8:30am, then fail to provide that office the information they need until 11am that same day (when you finally roll into the office). DO YOUR PART.

You should also consider allowing us drivers to operate with greater control over how we work. Give us the ability to adjust our request range. Some days we may need to keep the range tight, such as when we need to stay close to home or when we work airports and will not accept requests coming from outside the airport. Other times when we are looking for riders we may open that range up, even further than your default. However by allowing us to operate more efficiently, you allow us to be more effective at our job and thereby more apt to stay online, which benefits Uber and passengers in addition to the drivers.

And most importantly, change the inside culture of your management and Partner Support. It is coming from the top down. Stop looking at Uber drivers like doormats - that mentality is shooting yourself in the foot from the get go. If there was ever a time to get things right with drivers, NOW is that time.

Otherwise, the next time you tell us to Uber on, we may just tell you to go Uber Off!

Last edited:

Oh My

It's funny how many companies want their brand name to become a verb (like this guy, Steve Pint); yet some companies achieve that in both realms of positive and negative publicity, such as Uber. :smiles:

"Uber Off!"

Anyways, I digress...

So more and more I feel like Uber is creating a hostile business environment between Uber management and drivers. As if their disdain for drivers is so apparent and obvious, that they seem to forget we are literally where the rubber-meets-the-road in the face-to-face customer relations and income production aspects of their business model. Clearly it doesn't help when Uber brass make statements like, "Because we can" or they demonstrate their cut throat nature against the media with statements like, "Nobody would know it was us.".

However, the rate cuts and partner support are the most obvious and hard hitting evidence where Uber demonstrates their technological aristocracy, "let them eat cake" attitude. As if we should continue to thank them for the wonderful business opportunity they provide us while looking down their nose when we complain about the rate cuts or ask that we be compensated a cleaning fee when a pax spills a drink on our seats. Their greatest weapon are the denial-savvy CSRs that either continue to regurgitate canned responses that shown no digestion of our specific concerns or flat out deny and ignore us with the attitude of, "What are you going to do about it? Uber backs our stance, they do not back you." We have recently learned how Uber has weeded out their more cooperative CSRs that were willing to ensure we were properly compensated and now redirects those requests to the more skilled, Cleaning Fee Nazis.

We have also recently learned that Uber is hemorrhaging millions of dollars every month. While I am sure there are plenty of points these leaks are taking place: such as from lawsuits, legal proceedings, bailing out driver vehicles that get impounded in new markets they are trying to aggressively infiltrate, not too mention recent rate cuts that surely must be affecting their bottom line. Yet the only evidence thus far to correct this, seems to enact steps that continue the same downward spiral of negative impact: Charging new drivers higher percentages, obstructing cleaning fee requests, embracing the revolving door policy of new drivers and allowing the veterans to fall to the wayside... are they really that tone deaf that they cannot hear the music playing or too blind to see the writing on the wall??

Dear Uber, your partner drivers are NOT your enemy. Stop treating them like one.

We SHOULD be your strongest asset. We should be the one thing that sets Uber apart from the aging decrepit systems that are still sluggish to revamp or update despite the rising tide of expectations that Uber has helped provide a voice to via the market. But to do that, you have to embrace the drivers, Uber.

You start by ending this crusade to drive prices so low that even crackheads in dire need of a fix and low on money see Uber as a real option to get over to their local dealer. Think about the customer base you are attracting. Think about the quality you want us to provide and realize they are NOT compatible right now.

Ensure that we are adequately protected in the event of an accident. 5 years later, UberX drivers are still not well protected. Fix it. This is simply unsatisfactory.

Ensure your drivers are well informed of changes that affect them, whether it relates to local laws and city policies or new projects you are rolling out that we as drivers are expected to support or at least be knowledgeable of when riders ask us about them. Do not tell us that we have to obtain an airport "pre-approved" sticker starting on Monday by going to a transportation office that opens at 8:30am, then fail to provide that office the information they need until 11am that same day (when you finally roll into the office). DO YOUR PART.

You should also consider allowing us drivers to operate with greater control over how we work. Give us the ability to adjust our acceptance range. Some days we may need to keep the range tight, such as when we need to stay close to home or when we work airports and will not accept requests coming from outside the airport. Other times when we are looking for riders we may open that range up, even further than your default. However by allowing us to operate more efficiently, you allow us to be more effective at our job and thereby more apt to stay online, which benefits Uber and passengers in addition to the drivers.

And most importantly, change the inside culture of your management and Partner Support. It is coming from the top down. Stop looking at Uber drivers like doormats - that mentality is shooting yourself in the foot from the get go. If there was ever a time to get things right with drivers, NOW is that time.

Otherwise, the next time you tell us to Uber on, we may just reply back, Uber Off!
When the female driver's Uber is recruiting left/right with "incentives" in Chicago get tired of being 'doormats' things will change pronto. Oprah, Ellen Degeneres and Rosie O'Donnell will be all up on this shit. You just wait and see! Michelle Obama, Hillary Clinton and Cher may even chime in about this exploitation.

turbovator

When the female driver's Uber is recruiting left/right with "incentives" in Chicago get tired of being 'doormats' things will change pronto. Oprah, Ellen Degeneres and Rosie O'Donnell will be all up on this shit. You just wait and see! Michelle Obama, Hillary Clinton and Cher may even chime in about this exploitation.
WOW! What a collection of female rights activists.

Corny

"Uber Off!"

Anyways, I digress...

However, the rate cuts and partner support are the most obvious and hard hitting evidence where Uber demonstrates their technological aristocracy, "let them eat cake" attitude. As if we should continue to thank them for the wonderful business opportunity they provide us while looking down their nose when we complain about the rate cuts or ask that we be compensated a cleaning fee when a pax spills a drink on our seats. Their greatest weapon are the denial-savvy CSRs that either continue to regurgitate canned responses that shown no digestion of our specific concerns or flat out deny and ignore us with the attitude of, "What are you going to do about it? Uber backs our stance, they do not back you." We have recently learned how Uber has weeded out their more cooperative CSRs that were willing to ensure we were properly compensated and now redirects those requests to the more skilled, Cleaning Fee Nazis.

We have also recently learned that Uber is hemorrhaging millions of dollars every month. While I am sure there are plenty of points these leaks are taking place: such as from lawsuits, legal proceedings, bailing out driver vehicles that get impounded in new markets they are trying to aggressively infiltrate, not too mention recent rate cuts that surely must be affecting their bottom line. Yet the only evidence thus far to correct this, seems to enact steps that continue the same downward spiral of negative impact: Charging new drivers higher percentages, obstructing cleaning fee requests, embracing the revolving door policy of new drivers and allowing the veterans to fall to the wayside. Do they honestly think that word is not getting around and people are hearing the horror stories from drivers, riders, and even previous cities where Uber has forced their way in? Do they refuse to acknowledge that these new markets and new potential riders and drivers are deciding to avoid Uber or block Uber from entry into their city because of their bad behavior? Are they really that tone deaf that they cannot hear the music playing or too blind to see the writing on the wall??

You should also consider allowing us drivers to operate with greater control over how we work. Give us the ability to adjust our request range. Some days we may need to keep the range tight, such as when we need to stay close to home or when we work airports and will not accept requests coming from outside the airport. Other times when we are looking for riders we may open that range up, even further than your default. However by allowing us to operate more efficiently, you allow us to be more effective at our job and thereby more apt to stay online, which benefits Uber and passengers in addition to the drivers.

Otherwise, the next time you tell us to Uber on, we may just tell you to go Uber Off!

I have to admit that I do not seem to share you Uber experience here in Denver. I assume they set the rates as high as they feel the market will tolerate, not as low as they think the drivers can stand. Locally they seem to be responsive on every level if I have a problem. I am pretty sure that they know what the drivers would like to see changed, and I am guessing that they discuss the business model pros and cons of those changes several times a year. They do not need to call every driver on the phone and hear a million time that we would like the tip option on the app, or that every drivers request range would be the most desirable airport area. They know that.

If we were clever, we would figure out a clever way to nicely inform the passenger that we would like a tip and implement it across all the message boards ...

"Some drivers are beginning to request a dollar tip on minimum fares or for each stop along the way..."

KeJorn

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I have to admit that I do not seem to share you Uber experience here in Denver. I assume they set the rates as high as they feel the market will tolerate, not as low as they think the drivers can stand. Locally they seem to be responsive on every level if I have a problem. I am pretty sure that they know what the drivers would like to see changed, and I am guessing that they discuss the business model pros and cons of those changes several times a year. They do not need to call every driver on the phone and hear a million time that we would like the tip option on the app, or that every drivers request range would be the most desirable airport area. They know that.

If we were clever, we would figure out a clever way to nicely inform the passenger that we would like a tip and implement it across all the message boards ...

"Some drivers are beginning to request a dollar tip on minimum fares or for each stop along the way..."
Hey someone from Denver. Had a rider who recently told me the UberX drivers in Denver make about $20-25/ hr due to mostly long rides and decent fares. Good for you guys. Glad someone is making UberX work for them and having a mostly positive experience. More power to ya. Unfortunately that is not the case here in Dallas, nor was I complaining about tips. I have accepted the fact that 95% of Uber riders do not tip while 75% of Lyft riders do tip. Main difference? Lyft provides the option in app, Uber does not. Coincidence? I doubt it.

Again that was not part of my thread. I specifically referenced my experience with Uber Partner Support and other things that suggest Uber considers driver equivalent to doormats. I do not get the same impression from Lyft though they are not perfect either. However Lyft does come across a lot more people / service oriented.

I stand by what I said and have experienced and perceive by the words and actions of Uber staff.

Peace.

Another Uber Driver

If soap Opera, smEllen, gRossie, Klan-with-a-tan Shelly, Hitlery and Shear all came out against this, I would know that the world was turned on its head because I never have agreed with anything that any of those six have ever had to say. If all of them came out against this, I would have to agree with them. Whodda' thunk it, that I would agree with all six of those at once?

thehappytypist

Author
If by Cleaning Fee Nazi you mean no more cleaning fees for every single little thing, sure! The tier 1 agents basically gave out a fee to everyone who wrote in with pictures, didn't matter. Two pieces of trash, a little sand on the floor mat, normal things that would be expected.

What you should get pissed about is the new policies regarding damage fees, those are goddamn ridiculous, all of us collectively facepalmed. So, I'll give you guys the heads up - if the rider denies that they did the damage or admit they did but don't give us permission to charge them, no damage fee for you. There may be exceptions but those will be very few and approved by management. Why did they do this? Because they charged a rider a damage fee and they went nuts on social media over it. We're all pretty pissed because this is so @@@@ing absurd.

Another Uber Driver

I guess that the first time that a ralpher goes bonkers on social media, that will be the end of the clean-up fee, as well.

This will leave the drunks to the newly onboarded, I guess. As each group of newbies gets wise, there will be another group of newbies to replace them until it all runs out. Under current Uber onboarding standards, it should take a little less than two years before the new driver pool shows signs of drying up. At that point, there will be adequacy-of-service problems for the drunk crowd.

KeJorn

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
What you should get pissed about is the new policies regarding damage fees...
I am glad you mentioned that. After I was denied the cleaning fee, I sent an entirely new email asking an operations manager what the current policy is for cleaning fees, etc and provided examples of two completely different responses from CSRs (well, one CFN and one CSR).

Guess what, NO ANSWER.
@@@@ing crickets.

Spilling a drink on our seats is NOT the same as a little sand on a floor mat or two pieces of trash. Come on now.

You know, it's pretty simple. If someone spills something on our seats, CHARGE THE PERSON THAT DID IT.
If you do not take that action, you will soon have the same smelly cars everyone complains about when they refer to taxis and then everyone pays for it.

"if the rider denies that they did the damage or admit they did but don't give us permission to charge them, no damage fee for you."
Then Partner Support had better be available to inspect every vehicle with a claim immediately upon request - yes at 1am, 2am, 3am every Friday and Saturday night.
Otherwise they can shove that bullshit up their ass. We provided photos. WTF.

This proves my point. Partner Support does NOT support the Partners.
Uber is creating a hostile environment between drivers, Uber, and riders.

Uber Kraus

If by Cleaning Fee Nazi you mean no more cleaning fees for every single little thing, sure! The tier 1 agents basically gave out a fee to everyone who wrote in with pictures, didn't matter. Two pieces of trash, a little sand on the floor mat, normal things that would be expected.

What you should get pissed about is the new policies regarding damage fees, those are goddamn ridiculous, all of us collectively facepalmed. So, I'll give you guys the heads up - if the rider denies that they did the damage or admit they did but don't give us permission to charge them, no damage fee for you. There may be exceptions but those will be very few and approved by management. Why did they do this? Because they charged a rider a damage fee and they went nuts on social media over it. We're all pretty pissed because this is so @@@@ing absurd.
Does this include people throwing up all over the inside of a car?

LarryA

I picked up these 2 girls on Saturday morning @ 2am. One of the girls had an open drink with her which she smuggled into my car. When she alighted from my vehicle, I looked back to make sure they didn't leave nothing behind. That was when I realized my seat was soaking wet. At first I taught she peed on herself but came to realize it was beer spill. Took pictures of the spill and emailed uber CSR 48hrs ago. I am still waiting on a response. #uberoff

Don Oldenburg

"Uber Off!"

WELL WRITTEN! Being fairly new to UBER, and being from a small and isolated market -- A lot of this I was not aware was going on. This past weekend I had a woman blow chunks in my 2014 vehicle. This will be a big test whether or not I stick with them, or transition entirely to LYFT... I'm not happy that my account has been corrupted on LYFT and my name was mysteriously changed by a bug in their system -- but I do feel appreciated more by Lyft and Lyft Riders..

KevRyde

Locally they seem to be responsive on every level if I have a problem.
I'm curious to know what sort of problems you've had that lead to some type of interaction with Uber employees here in the local Denver office. I'm at 2,200+ Uber rides and 900+ Lyft rides since I started last November, and I've submitted only four "serious rider concern" reports to Uber: two clown car; two unaccompanied minors. To the best of my knowledge, these reports were all responded to by Uber CSRs who I assumed to be centralized, remote or even off shore resources and not local to Denver. I've been to the Uber Denver office maybe twice just to grab some replacement USB charger adaptors (the Griffin brand adaptors that Uber provides seem to have a high failure rate).

Hey someone from Denver. Had a rider who recently told me the UberX drivers in Denver make about $20-25/ hr due to mostly long rides and decent fares.
I have shared detailed earnings information below and on several other threads, and based on my experience driving for UberX and Lyft, only during weeks when Uber pays hourly guarantees does my AHEAG (average hourly earnings after gas) exceed $20/hour (and I have been driving 30 to 40+ hours each week since last November). Without Uber guarantees, my AHEAG for the week ranges from $15 to $18. This hourly average includes the Lyft referral fees I hustle from Uber riders who have never downloaded Lyft as well as the "KevRyde" fees I receive from a small number of scheduled airport riders who pay me directly.

DrivePaymentsAug15.JPG

Last edited:

thehappytypist

Author
I am glad you mentioned that. After I was denied the cleaning fee, I sent an entirely new email asking an operations manager what the current policy is for cleaning fees, etc and provided examples of two completely different responses from CSRs (well, one CFN and one CSR).

Guess what, NO ANSWER.
@@@@ing crickets.

Spilling a drink on our seats is NOT the same as a little sand on a floor mat or two pieces of trash. Come on now.

You know, it's pretty simple. If someone spills something on our seats, CHARGE THE PERSON THAT DID IT.
If you do not take that action, you will soon have the same smelly cars everyone complains about when they refer to taxis and then everyone pays for it.

"if the rider denies that they did the damage or admit they did but don't give us permission to charge them, no damage fee for you."
Then Partner Support had better be available to inspect every vehicle with a claim immediately upon request - yes at 1am, 2am, 3am every Friday and Saturday night.
Otherwise they can shove that bullshit up their ass. We provided photos. WTF.

This proves my point. Partner Support does NOT support the Partners.
Uber is creating a hostile environment between drivers, Uber, and riders.
Cleaning fee policies remains the same, we don't give a shit if the rider wants to pay or not (dont' ask me why, doesn't make sense to me either). Damage fees are where the rider has done actual damage to your vehicle that isn't during normal and expected use of the car (and some messes are extensive enough to fall under this).

As for your drink spill, I couldn't way why they didn't pay out. I'd have to see the pictures for myself.

thehappytypist

Author
I picked up these 2 girls on Saturday morning @ 2am. One of the girls had an open drink with her which she smuggled into my car. When she alighted from my vehicle, I looked back to make sure they didn't leave nothing behind. That was when I realized my seat was soaking wet. At first I taught she peed on herself but came to realize it was beer spill. Took pictures of the spill and emailed uber CSR 48hrs ago. I am still waiting on a response. #uberoff
The team who handles cleaning fees now is about 6-7 days behind, if not more after the weekend.