• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Uber now switches accepted trips based on proximity.

Boston Guber

I'm a little pissed. I accepted a trip that was about 4 miles away,but knew the pax. He takes daily trips from Ma., to his job in Newport ($30 fare). As I jumped on Route 24 to get there quickly,Uber switched fares on me. They rerouted me to the street I just came from for an Uber Pool trip. I was already enroute to the first trip ,via the highway & couldn't turn around. I was so pissed I almost crashed,looking at Google maps in disgust!!! When Uber did this,a brief message came up. Something to the effect of "Uber has found you a closer rider". Anybody else ever get this? I've been driving in Massachusetts & Rhode Island for three years,but this is a first. WTF!

Last edited:

joeboston

Not being disrespectful, but this is very old news. They began doing this mid 2016.

I live in the same neck of the woods that you described. I usually drive around Boston, but occasionally, turn the app on around home. I frequently get requests from 20-25 minutes away. Almost never accept them.

Boston Guber

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Not being disrespectful, but this is very old news. They began doing this mid 2016.

I live in the same neck of the woods that you described. I usually drive around Boston, but occasionally, turn the app on around home. I frequently get requests from 20-25 minutes away. Almost never accept them.
I've been driving 3 years. This is the first time they did this to me. I haven't used this forum in so long. Mostly pessimistic posters or illogical advice. Loads of angry cabbies & corporate shammers used to post in here too. I drove in Boston & the NorthEast for the entire first two years I started. I also did R.I. too,until they cut rates in that state. Driver saturation is bad now. Especially in the cities (Boston & Providence). Uber flourishes now in the suburbs & lower part of the state.
How long you been driving?

Gung-Ho

Here's a what if....you continue to the pax who you know is a good ride...ignore the other request like you never got the info. If you get to the pax before any other uber and pax gets in you start trip and punch in their destination and off you go. pax will pay the same so they won't complain, so there you go.

Granted this would only work if you knew the pax and the trip was worth it and you probably couldn't pull it off more than once or twice.

Used to do something similar in the taxi world. Dispatch would send driver a distance to pick up a passenger, a minute before driver arrives dispatch calls and says rider canceled. As a driver you would continue to pick up address like you never got the info.

One of two things most likely will happen. First is pax called a 2nd company because you weren't fast enough but you are so close you will arrive before 2nd cab and pax will take you when you arrive. Second is pax really doesn't want the ride but since you are in their driveway now they think you didn't get the message to cancel and feeling bad will throw you a couple of bucks.

Boston Guber

I'm just about done with Travis Kalenick, self-entitled @@@@s,and over-saturation of drivers. I'm wrapping up 10 years of Army in April & plan to utilize my Class A license again. Trucking is booming again. Funny thing is,I gave up trucking to do Uber. I'm spent from ridesharing.

Here's a what if....you continue to the pax who you know is a good ride...ignore the other request like you never got the info. If you get to the pax before any other uber and pax gets in you start trip and punch in their destination and off you go. pax will pay the same so they won't complain, so there you go.

Granted this would only work if you knew the pax and the trip was worth it and you probably couldn't pull it off more than once or twice.

Used to do something similar in the taxi world. Dispatch would send driver a distance to pick up a passenger, a minute before driver arrives dispatch calls and says rider canceled. As a driver you would continue to pick up address like you never got the info.

One of two things most likely will happen. First is pax called a 2nd company because you weren't fast enough but you are so close you will arrive before 2nd cab and pax will take you when you arrive. Second is pax really doesn't want the ride but since you are in their driveway now they think you didn't get the message to cancel and feeling bad will throw you a couple of bucks.
I'd have to get him to cancel the other rider,and then re-request. It wasn't that big of a deal. At the time,I was bullshit because most rides in that city are $5-$8. The guy that goes to Newport is a fellow soldier. He's a nurse but I think he has war injuries that prevent him from driving. I've brought him to Newport about 6 other times in past. He's a good guy ,so the trip is not only profitable but pleasant. I wanted to drive to the Dorchester Greenlight hub & flip!!!!
LoL

excel2345

Little confused how this could work unless you were charging the pax outside uber. If your pickup was changed by uber that would be the trip you were assigned, if you picked up the good ride and changed the address the pool passenger would be billed for the trip and the good ride guy would get a noshow charge when the other uber showed up. Sounds like either is a good way to get deactivated.

Gung-Ho

Little confused how this could work unless you were charging the pax outside uber. If your pickup was changed by uber that would be the trip you were assigned, if you picked up the good ride and changed the address the pool passenger would be billed for the trip and the good ride guy would get a noshow charge when the other uber showed up. Sounds like either is a good way to get deactivated.
This is why I don't drive much uber. I can't pull off my old time cabbies scams.:biggrin:

Boston Guber

I would have to ignore the Pool trip,cancel it,arrive at the original $30 fare's house, ask him to cancel the other driver,get in my car,and have him
re-request a ride. It would ping me,as I would be the closest driver.
Totally not worth the hassle.

This is why I don't drive much uber. I can't pull off my old time cabbies scams.:biggrin:
I was a cabbie in Fall River ,in late 80's early 90's. I'm 47

I've been Ubering about three years now & although the income/freedoms are still better then most low paying jobs,the Golden Era of Uber is long gone. Everybody and their mothers wants to be an Uber driver now. Oversaturation is a real thing. Eventually this gig will be not profitable. I'm spent and about to move on. Hopefully a lot of drivers in Massachusetts recently got disqualified because of the state regulations. This will give more money to the rest of you that were able to pass the background checks. Good luck guys.

Blunt power