Uber now in Cedar Rapids

Lidman

Like every other city they've invaded they're still using the "shoot first, ask questions later" approach. But you can't blame them. A lot of those city officials are letting them do it.

Now they have their eyes set on a particular town about 20 south of Cedar Rapids. I'm interested to see if they try to charge that 1.15 mile. Well I can tell you this, they are not going to succeed doing that.

IOWA CITY IS WAITING FOR YOU UBER.

Lidman

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I Have nothing against Uber drivers in Iowa city. And if any of you do drive in our state you should be to able to charge at least $2.50 amile, Im not sure what it is in Crapid.

The city sets the rates, not uber.

anoroc

I registered with Uber and am now active in Cedar Rapids. Do they ever call me or is there a conference call or something. It feels strange that I am activated and have never spoken with anyone about anything.

DrJeecheroo

Recently I took a pax from St. Louis to Mt Pleasant. The fare was about $190. It's too bad I couldn't use the $2/mile rates that's in Cedar Rapids. Otherwise the fare would have been over $400. Comes to show you that the rates can really make a difference on long trips.

The plus side though, the couple tipped me $50.

RichR

$2/mile sounds like Fantasyland. $1.15 would be nice. These days, it's 70¢/mile + 11¢/minute + 85¢ Base Fare.

Plus, with Uber taking 28% and almost no tips, I rarely go online without a decent surge. It's just not worth it, especially when the rider is 10+ minutes away.

Jufkii

$2/mile sounds like Fantasyland. $1.15 would be nice. These days, it's 70¢/mile + 11¢/minute + 85¢ Base Fare.

Plus, with Uber taking 28% and almost no tips, I rarely go online without a decent surge. It's just not worth it, especially when the rider is 10+ minutes away.
Did Rich. Is Uber paying you the extra surge rate when it surges on your map? Uber did not pay me the extra surge rate for 6 of the last 8 rides I accepted with surge showing on my map at the time..They claim it wasn't surging at the time the rider made the request. Hate to even accept surges any more either.

RichR

Is Uber paying you the extra surge rate when it surges on your map? Uber did not pay me the extra surge rate for 6 of the last 8 rides I accepted with surge showing on my map at the time..They claim it wasn't surging at the time the rider made the request. Hate to even accept surges any more either.
Sounds like the situation I saw just last weekend when I received a ping from the 2.1x surge area but the ping itself showed NO surge multiplier. Since I was looking right at the map when the ping came through, it had to be that the surge ended and the pax requested before the map refreshed. (With a 60-second refresh cycle, that's bound to happen occasionally).

Regardless, we have to go by what's on the ping. If the ping showed a surge multiplier but I didn't get it on the trip, that's a big problem. But, if it's just that the ping doesn't match what we're seeing on the map, it must be a timing issue (see above). The pax will always see the surge (on and off) before we do.

Maybe we should be thankful the all-powerful Uber doesn't (yet) increase the refresh time to 90 or 120 seconds during a surge, to trap us more often. :rolleyes:

Jufkii

Sounds like the situation I saw just last weekend when I received a ping from the 2.1x surge area but the ping itself showed NO surge multiplier. Since I was looking right at the map when the ping came through, it had to be that the surge ended and the pax requested before the map refreshed. (With a 60-second refresh cycle, that's bound to happen occasionally).

Regardless, we have to go by what's on the ping. If the ping showed a surge multiplier but I didn't get it on the trip, that's a big problem. But, if it's just that the ping doesn't match what we're seeing on the map, it must be a timing issue (see above). The pax will always see the surge (on and off) before we do.

Maybe we should be thankful the all-powerful Uber doesn't (yet) increase the refresh time to 90 or 120 seconds during a surge, to trap us more often. :rolleyes:
No surge means no profit 90% of the time here in CR. Looks like you've caught on pretty quick. I may be bowing out for good pretty soon. Any questions how to work this town let me know and good luck to you.