Uber Drivers Forum banner

UBER now an issue in Nevada US Senate Race (TV Ad)

1K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  observer 
#1 ·
Just saw the first TV ad aired here in Las Vegas. A fairly strong attack ad against Democrat Catherine Cortez Masto for taking big bucks from the local taxi cartel and then on three occasions -- in her past capacity as state attorney general--smacking Uber which was trying to enter Las Vegas market. Pretty hard hitting. Funded by some conservative PAC.

On Channel 3, NBC Las Vegas, about 10 minutes ago

(Wed 29 June 2016)

#6 ·
Yeah a strong attack against someone who is just trying to level the playing field.
I always chuckle when I hear this. Why does everyone think you have to regulate Uber to level the playing field? Has anyone ever thought about de-regulating the taxi industry? If the taxi companies complain they have to do this and that and Uber doesn't, why not stop requiring the extra hoops? This will also "Level the Playing Field". I realize there are some very good rules, but there are many that are BS to discourage competition and raise money for the local governments.

As far as caring for the safety of the passengers, this is total BS also. If they cared about the safety of the passengers then demand the drivers do their job better. Instead of requiring more insurance, hold the drivers up to a higher standard. Actually enforce the long haul rules. Limit the number of speeding tickets they can get in a time span. Drivers cited for reckless driving should be suspended or fired out right depending on the circumstances. If they want professional drivers, then create an actual driving class with practical experience, not just a certificate anyone with $50.00 can buy.

If there were really professional drivers out there, accidents would go down and this would alleviate the need for so much insurance.

#15 ·
if your part time and only doing it to get 100-200 extra every week or even less. paying for fbi background check sucks cause they would be required so it would be 45 same rate as cab drivers pay before you even start. As far as uber they have 13k drivers easily in vegas so 13k × 45 would be 585,000 just for background checks plus the cost of drug test which are about 40 if im not mistaken add that to the 50+ drivers they get daily it's alot of money. would be awesome for drivers as it would cut alot of drivers from doing uber or lyft. And before any of the cab drivers say anything about it cab companies only pay for the drug test and they only do yhem when you start or have a really bad accident. I worked for ycs about 4 years and only I tested the time I applied to be a driver.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.