UBER now an issue in Nevada US Senate Race (TV Ad)

TomInVegas

Just saw the first TV ad aired here in Las Vegas. A fairly strong attack ad against Democrat Catherine Cortez Masto for taking big bucks from the local taxi cartel and then on three occasions -- in her past capacity as state attorney general--smacking Uber which was trying to enter Las Vegas market. Pretty hard hitting. Funded by some conservative PAC.

On Channel 3, NBC Las Vegas, about 10 minutes ago

(Wed 29 June 2016)

Ubbs

Yeah a strong attack against someone who is just trying to level the playing field.
I always chuckle when I hear this. Why does everyone think you have to regulate Uber to level the playing field? Has anyone ever thought about de-regulating the taxi industry? If the taxi companies complain they have to do this and that and Uber doesn't, why not stop requiring the extra hoops? This will also "Level the Playing Field". I realize there are some very good rules, but there are many that are BS to discourage competition and raise money for the local governments.

As far as caring for the safety of the passengers, this is total BS also. If they cared about the safety of the passengers then demand the drivers do their job better. Instead of requiring more insurance, hold the drivers up to a higher standard. Actually enforce the long haul rules. Limit the number of speeding tickets they can get in a time span. Drivers cited for reckless driving should be suspended or fired out right depending on the circumstances. If they want professional drivers, then create an actual driving class with practical experience, not just a certificate anyone with $50.00 can buy.

If there were really professional drivers out there, accidents would go down and this would alleviate the need for so much insurance.

Demon

I always chuckle when I hear this. Why does everyone think you have to regulate Uber to level the playing field? Has anyone ever thought about de-regulating the taxi industry? If the taxi companies complain they have to do this and that and Uber doesn't, why not stop requiring the extra hoops? This will also "Level the Playing Field". I realize there are some very good rules, but there are many that are BS to discourage competition and raise money for the local governments.

As far as caring for the safety of the passengers, this is total BS also. If they cared about the safety of the passengers then demand the drivers do their job better. Instead of requiring more insurance, hold the drivers up to a higher standard. Actually enforce the long haul rules. Limit the number of speeding tickets they can get in a time span. Drivers cited for reckless driving should be suspended or fired out right depending on the circumstances. If they want professional drivers, then create an actual driving class with practical experience, not just a certificate anyone with $50.00 can buy.

If there were really professional drivers out there, accidents would go down and this would alleviate the need for so much insurance.
Uber doesn't want to de-regulate the taxi industry, then Uber would be out of business.

No matter how good drivers are, they would still need insurance.

Lvcab9404

They should start with FBI fingerprint, 6 to 12 month drug test and every 4 months after that, age limit, test for any other health problems etc, that would eliminate a third of cab drivers and probably more than half of uber and lyft drivers. Period.

Freebyrdie

They should start with FBI fingerprint, 6 to 12 month drug test and every 4 months after that, age limit, test for any other health problems etc, that would eliminate a third of cab drivers and probably more than half of uber and lyft drivers. Period.
What age limits do you think should be imposed? I agree on the fingerprinting and drug testing. I would even pay for it myself. It would be tax deductible anyway. BTW! Welcome back...I hope your vacation was good.

Demon

What age limits do you think should be imposed? I agree on the fingerprinting and drug testing. I would even pay for it myself. It would be tax deductible anyway. BTW! Welcome back...I hope your vacation was good.
Age limit for passengers or drivers?

Lvcab9404

Thanks,
Thanks, the other day I saw this cab driver like in his 70s or more, driving really slow, you know that driving fast or slow is not good, I've seen uber and lyft drivers that are slowing traffic, maybe a good test for good reflections in a crowded Street and at a certain speed would work, what you think,

Freebyrdie

Thanks,

Thanks, the other day I saw this cab driver like in his 70s or more, driving really slow, you know that driving fast or slow is not good, I've seen uber and lyft drivers that are slowing traffic, maybe a good test for good reflections in a crowded Street and at a certain speed would work, what you think,
I don't think age alone should determine if somebody can drive a cab or uber. I do think that all drivers should have a driving test though.

Uberx Vegas

Yeah a strong attack against someone who is just trying to level the playing field. Uber is not above the law.
If the county asks for FBI finger print of all drivers uber will shut down office and get out of town over night. I heard FBI finger print coasts about $69bucks.The question is why uber against fbi finger print? Don't you want good people work for you?

Freebyrdie

If the county asks for FBI finger print of all drivers uber will shut down office and get out of town over night. I heard FBI finger print coasts about $69bucks.The question is why uber against fbi finger print? Don't you want good people work for you?
It would be too much of an expense for uber with the low driver retention rate.

Azazel

if your part time and only doing it to get 100-200 extra every week or even less. paying for fbi background check sucks cause they would be required so it would be 45 same rate as cab drivers pay before you even start. As far as uber they have 13k drivers easily in vegas so 13k × 45 would be 585,000 just for background checks plus the cost of drug test which are about 40 if im not mistaken add that to the 50+ drivers they get daily it's alot of money. would be awesome for drivers as it would cut alot of drivers from doing uber or lyft. And before any of the cab drivers say anything about it cab companies only pay for the drug test and they only do yhem when you start or have a really bad accident. I worked for ycs about 4 years and only I tested the time I applied to be a driver.

Ubbs

So you think it's funny that uber will allow just anyone to drive. Like sex offenders, murderers etc.
Wow Chortling, you went way out in left field on that one. I said "I realize there are some very good rules, but there are many that are BS". Your example falls under some "very good rules".