Uber now allowing L.A. area drivers to set their own fares. Will it last?

EM1

Drivers in L.A., Orange Co., Inland Empire, Ventura, Palm Springs can now shut off automatic Uber pricing and switch to 'Set Your Own Fares' mode. You name your price (1.1x, 1.7x...5.0x whatever you want) and when a rider requests a ride, the app sends your 'ride quote' back to them in a $ amount. Rider accepts or declines your quote. Good thing we have potential to make more money of course, bad thing is they're pitting us against each other in a bidding war now. I drove for a bit after my regular FT job, and noticed many more drivers out now than past month or so. Guess we'll see how it plays out...if it lasts.

dauction

That will be interesting to see how it pans out.

When first posted a few months back my reaction was pretty much the same ...race to the bottom. But the more I have given it some thought, I'm thinking, first of all, there are people that money is no object..just get me there and a second group of people that will take the higher rate because they ride with a nicer car or they have ridden with a specific driver before and know that driver will get them to their destination without any drama

So, I am interested to see how this plays out.

keep everyone posted

Last edited:

Stevie The magic Unicorn

I can see this being incredibly useful whenever it's busy, but incredibly useless when it's not, or in rough neighborhoods (that will never pay surge)

But frankly i see this turning into a garunteed bad rating once the media does a few stories on it.

Once the public learns that it' the drivers causing surge now they will start 1 starring every time they get a surge.

MikeSki

Drivers in L.A., Orange Co., Inland Empire, Ventura, Palm Springs can now shut off automatic Uber pricing and switch to 'Set Your Own Fares' mode. You name your price (1.1x, 1.7x...5.0x whatever you want) and when a rider requests a ride, the app sends your 'ride quote' back to them in a $ amount. Rider accepts or declines your quote. Good thing we have potential to make more money of course, bad thing is they're pitting us against each other in a bidding war now. I drove for a bit after my regular FT job, and noticed many more drivers out now than past month or so. Guess we'll see how it plays out...if it lasts.
I wish they’d do that here I’d triple my income. Being the only car within 15 minutes is common lately

mbd

What happens if driver A has gotten 5 pings in 2 hours and driver B has gotten 3 pings in 2 hours, but driver A has the lower rate by .01c?😀 Driver C has made 200$ in 1 hour and he puts the set wage at .03c lower than A and B.
In the future don’t they have to guarantee min wage/hr to all the drivers ?

Last edited:

dauction

You're overlooking the fact that Uber is the "decider", not the pax, and Uber stated the lowest "bid" wins.

Nope. Lowest bid wins.
The Passengers decides..

"But if you do choose a new multiplier, as usual, riders will be able to see an upfront estimate of their fare before they request a trip. If they are matched with a driver whose fare is set higher than the upfront estimate, they will have the option to accept or decline the offer and search for other drivers in the area. "

Sal29

Los Angeles was recently rated as the most unaffordable city in the US, even more than San Francisco. San Francisco is much more expensive but the wages are also much higher making it more affordable than Los Angeles.
The good thing about idiots setting rates too low is that those morons will go bankrupt and have their cars impounded very quickly because of Los Angeles unaffordability.
Drivers setting rates too low could survive a long time in BIRMINGHAM, Alabama or Kansas City. Drivers setting rates too low will go bankrupt so fast in Los Angeles that the remaining drivers will be able to charge reasonable rates if they're able to hold out till the morons fo bankrupt.
The problem in the start is going to be that drivers setting correct rates will get very few paxholes because of all the imbeciles setting rates too low.

Ssgcraig

You're overlooking the fact that Uber is the "decider", not the pax, and Uber stated the lowest "bid" wins.

Nope. Lowest bid wins.
In certain areas I agree, but CA is such a different animal, almost like a different country.

I think you will see people that want a specific car (the ones who don't want to get in a Civic or Prius type). They will want a familiar driver too, one that can speak their language I think will be a deciding factor.

I do find this interesting and hope it will provide drivers with more leverage.

SHalester

You're overlooking the fact that Uber is the "decider"
nope, I think. From Uber's announcement:
" If they are matched with a driver whose fare is set higher than the upfront estimate, they will have the option to accept or decline the offer and search for other drivers in the area."
Post automatically merged:

How long before UBER allows drivers to up 0.9x to 'undercut base fares'
if this is still around in August and rolled out farther what I'd do is the last hour of my 'shift' I'd set the puppy to 5.0 and not worry too much if no pings, would be end of my shift anyway.
Prior, I'd be super ant and just have the default on.

mrpjfresh

I don't think this would be a race to the bottom. Sure, in times of low demand, the desperate would fight to the death for scraps at 0.2x rates (not surge). These drivers are idiots though and essentially running their "businesses" into the ground. Totally unsustainable and insane. Even if I get only 1 ride an hour but at a rate with which I am comfortable, I would much prefer that than having to do 3-5 rides at third world rates just to make that same amount. This would really shine during very busy times and I guess be better for the part timers, so I am biased.

It has potential to be good PR for Uber and shift the ire of high prices off them to their "greedy" contractors. Should their ballot initiative pass this fall, however, I fully expect this program to be scrapped entirely. This is just another strategy to treat drivers more like ICs should that day come.

Gone_in_60_seconds

I don't think this would be a race to the bottom. Sure, in times of low demand, the desperate would fight to the death for scraps at 0.2x rates (not surge). These drivers are idiots though and essentially running their "businesses" into the ground. Totally unsustainable and insane. Even if I get only 1 ride an hour but at a rate with which I am comfortable, I would much prefer that than having to do 3-5 rides at third world rates just to make that same amount. This would really shine during very busy times and I guess be better for the part timers, so I am biased.

It has potential to be good PR for Uber and shift the ire of high prices off them to their "greedy" contractors. Should their ballot initiative pass this fall, however, I fully expect this program to be scrapped entirely. This is just another strategy to treat drivers more like ICs should that day come.
This is fantastic, driver no longer has to chase surge. You just let the surge come to you now. I love it.

goneubering

It’s primarily one more weapon in Uber’s battle against AB5. It might work.

Gone_in_60_seconds

It’s primarily one more weapon in Uber’s battle against AB5. It might work.
Yes, it will work because the drivers are truly independent contractors who have control on who they pick up and and at what rates. Now, keep in mind hand there been no AB-5, Uber would have continued to keep treating their ICs like sh*t and with complete disdain.

Any reason, why Lyft has not done this yet?

Nats121

nope, I think. From Uber's announcement:
" If they are matched with a driver whose fare is set higher than the upfront estimate, they will have the option to accept or decline the offer and search for other drivers in the area."
When Uber introduced this system last December, they said pax will automatically get the lowest "bid". All the news articles said the same thing.

If that's no longer the case Uber changed the rules.

Last edited: