1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Uber not paying minimum amount

Discussion in 'Advice' started by henrygates, Jul 22, 2018.

1. henrygates

henrygates

Driving:
    UberXL
    For the first time Uber did not pay me the minimum fare for a ride. In this region it is $2.28 according to the rate card. They paid $2.14.

Note on this trip they took 67% of the total fare paid by the rider.

The support just wrote back a generic "your fare is correct message."

It was also a VIP trip. Does anyone know if there are different rate minimums for X vs VIP?

2. SuzeCB

SuzeCB

Driving:
    UberX
    If there are, that would be for them, not for you. For that amount of money, it's not worth it, but if this trend continues, go to your local Greenlight hub and have them all fixed and have the situation itself fixed.

henrygates likes this.
  3. henrygates

henrygates

Driving:
    UberXL
    I'm certainly not driving anywhere for it (a hub) and I sent one last message with a screenshot attached of the rate card with the minimum fare amount. It specifically says "you will earn at least this amount for every trip".

However it would be good to know if Uber doesn't apply minimums to VIP. X and XL trips have always paid the listed minimum.

I haven't had any issues with VIP pax themselves, but this would make me think to decline the trips in the future.

4. henrygates

henrygates

Driving:
    UberXL
    I can now confirm that Uber minimum fares for X are different from VIP.

I'm sure the rate will vary but it appears to be lower than X. Something to be aware of.

You'd think Uber would want to encourage us to pick up VIP, not give us every reason to ignore them.

5. SuzeCB

SuzeCB

Driving:
    UberX
    I didn't say to go to the hub about this one thing. I said you may want to think about it if it continues. You're right. You are supposed to be paid a minimum rate, regardless of what the passenger is being charged. What the passenger is charged is between the passenger and Uber. What you are paid is between you and Uber. My suggestion is to send another note to support, or call them and let them know that you do not consider the matter closed. This will leave it open in case you end up having enough things to complain about , in a list that you will keep, that will make it worth taking a trip to a Greenlight hub.

I know it's not worth it for a few pennies.

6. henrygates

henrygates

Driving:
    UberXL
    For sure. But I'm glad I got the verification about the different rates. There's no compelling reason to take VIP.

7. reg barclay

reg barclay Moderator

Driving:
    UberX
    Wow. Here we get $3.66/3.91 (depending on sign up date), and I thought that was low.

8. Surgeio

Surgeio

Driving:
    UberX
    So, because Uber decides to apply the VIP label to a pax, that means we drivers have to transport them for less than the typical minimum fare?

9. henrygates

henrygates

Driving:
    UberXL
    VIP are only paired to high rated drivers. So yeah, they are paying you less to be a better than average driver.

It makes no sense.

AllGold and Zebonkey like this.
  10. Oops! No one told you that VIP stands for "Variation In Payment"? ...or maybe "Virtually Impossible Profit"?

11. SuzeCB

SuzeCB

Driving:
    UberX
    I'm not buying it. I think you just got a poorly informed/trained DRS.

Your contract with Uber says what you get paid is based on base fare + miles + minutes, with a minimum amount of whatever it is in your market. If that changes, you're supposed to be notified before you take a lower-paying ride, and have to either sign your agreement or be unable to drive. Same as with every other crappy thing they've done to driver's.

Fight or don't. That's up to you. But don't b**** if you're not willing to fight for your own.

12. henrygates

henrygates

Driving:
    UberXL
    I'm relaying what the CSR told me. The pay rate card only allows me to view rate info for X and XL. VIP card isn't an option.

If anyone else has taken a VIP on a minimum fare maybe they can chime in whether the rate was the same as X.

LasVegasMellowYellow likes this.
  13. Zebonkey

Zebonkey

Driving:
    UberSUV
    Exactly.
    That's why they are supposed to pay you your minimum fare.

henrygates likes this.
  14. CTK

CTK

I've never known Uber to have a rate card, and I looked but couldn't find one. Lyft, on the other hand, has a rate card. Was this a Lyft trip?

15. henrygates

henrygates

Driving:
    UberXL
    No it was Uber. If you go to the web version there are rate cards for any region you can drive in. There's a drop down to select the rate card for what your vehicle qualifies for.

I sent another request for a link to the VIP rate card. So far they haven't shown me any details on what a VIP trip pays. They are acting like it's a completely different trip type. I thought it was just a classification and the rates were either X or XL. However this doesn't seem to be the case, unless as Suze suggested the CSR is just wrong.

Update... Got nothing useful back from email support so I called phone support. After waiting 20 minutes on hold...yes 20 minutes...the missing 14 cents was restored and *this* CSR said that VIP rates are exactly the same as X rates.

So what they say happened is that my super short trip, because I ended the trip at the front of the pax apartment instead of the rear alley where the GPS was trying to take me, the system prorated the minimum fare, but still charged the pax the same up front amount.

That's useful to know for min trips.

16. steveK2016

steveK2016

Driving:
    UberXL
    No need to look at just a minimum ride. Go to any VIP and see what they are paying for base miles and time. If its a different rate, confirmed.

I rarely take VIPs, if I get one while at the house, I usually dont take it. If I'm in downtown i will, but VIP means they take a lot of Uber rides to qualify. So with all those rides, it gets expensive. They tend to not tip and they tend to be short rides. So unless im already on the road, I rarely take VIPs.

henrygates likes this.
  17. AllGold

AllGold

WTF? That is the dumbest thing I have ever heard (not you, Uber). By definition, you can't prorate a minimum fare.

SuzeCB likes this.