• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Uber no longer paying for inspections?

Jo3030

I had a friend tell me yesterday (that drives for Uber and Lyft) that he had to get an inspection and that Uber no longer paid for it.
Is this evident for y'all? Y'all seeing the same thing?

UBERX_IS_SOSO

I had a friend tell me yesterday (that drives for Uber and Lyft) that he had to get an inspection and that Uber no longer paid for it.
Is this evident for y'all? Y'all seeing the same thing?
I called the the one gas station in Alexandria where Uber paid for it in the pass and they said it was now $20. I called one out Maryland and they wanted $55.

Jo3030

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I called the the one gas station in Alexandria where Uber paid for it in the pass and they said it was now $20. I called one out Maryland and they wanted $55.
I'm guessing a few folks are gonna quit due to this.

Freddie Blimeau

See, like I gotta get 1 of those by Sat. cause mine runs out then, you know?

I went to that place on Col. Pike today & like they said the ship was closed today. Bummer. The guy there didn't seem too bright either, see so maybe he's just dumb or on drugs or something. I don't know, man. There wasn't nobody in the shop.

So I went to the other place on Seminary Rd. & like the guy there said they don't inspect NO Uber cars no more, even if you pay for it, see?

So like anybody know someplace in VA where I can get this dumbass inspection done today? & a place that won't invent shit that's wrong w/your car ?

Like thanks ahead of time, you know?

New2This

See, like I gotta get 1 of those by Sat. cause mine runs out then, you know?

I went to that place on Col. Pike today & like they said the ship was closed today. Bummer. The guy there didn't seem too bright either, see so maybe he's just dumb or on drugs or something. I don't know, man. There wasn't nobody in the shop.

So I went to the other place on Seminary Rd. & like the guy there said they don't inspect NO Uber cars no more, even if you pay for it, see?

So like anybody know someplace in VA where I can get this dumbass inspection done today? & a place that won't invent shit that's wrong w/your car ?

Like thanks ahead of time, you know?
There's a BP station down Columbia Pike by Four Mile Run that does Uber, see.

The Citgo on the other side of Bob and Edith's on Columbia Pike does inspections. Maybe try there ya know?

Like at this point just find any open inspection station. The only thing Uber stations had going for them was Uber paid for it, ya know? The form is the same for Uber and non-Uber cars see?

Esax_08

Check with the dealer where you purchased your vehicle and see if they cover the car’s inspections.

Fairfax Volkswagen, where I bought my Jetta, covers the inspections as long as I’m still its owner

Another Uber Driver

There's a BP station down Columbia Pike by Four Mile Run that does Uber, see.
I went there. From what I could see, they check only to make sure that the horn and the lights work. I had both licence plate bulbs burned out, so they got me for twenty two bananas for that. The guy who does the inspection will remind you verbally that you must pay. In addition, he has a handwritten sign taped to the lift (that he never uses) that says "Uber inspection now $20" or words similar.

I had the same experience that our Resident Stoner had at Seminary Road. If you want to go there, take out your trade dress and do not say anything about Uber or Lyft. I suppose that this means, as well, that only Virginia residents should go there. If you go there with District of Columbia or Maryland plates, they will suspect that you are going for Uber or Lyft and will not inspect it. He told me that they do not do inspections on any Uber/Lyft cars. When I mentioned that I knew that Uber was not paying any more, he said that they still would not inspect it. That place actually does pull a wheel and checks the other things.

When I have gone to the Liberty on Columbia Pike, the guy there actually did pull the wheel, as well, but he did not seem to look too carefully at the brake pads or rotor. He must not have looked at anything too carefully, as the inspections there (and at the Amoco on The Pike at Four Mile) always took far less time than those on Seminary Road. Never have I seen anyone fail at the Liberty.

This concludes this Public Service post.

Another Uber Driver

Tell them you need a va inspection to register the car in va

Does the Commonwealth require that you pass inspection before it will issue licence plates?

The District of Columbia will issue you the plates, registration, a title and a temporary "inspection" sticker to display. You have twenty days to go to the test station. The District no longer does safety inspections on private vehicles, although it does require an emissions inspection every two years. New cars are exempt for the first four years.

It used to be in Maryland that you could get temporary plates and a temporary registration good for thirty days, but you did not get regular plates, registration or a title until you passed inspection.

The District used to have a periodic inspection both for safety and emissions. It was once per year for some commercial and all private vehicles; every six months for taxicabs, limousines and other commercial or public vehicles. Now it is safety and emissions once per year for taxicabs, limousines and certain public vehicles. It is every other year emissions only for all other vehicles. The District requires you to present the vehicle at the one government test station on Half St., S.W. MPD or the U.S. Capitol Police can issue you a summons for "faulty equipment", but, I have seen that one issued only to taxicabs or limousines for purposes of harassment.

Virginia is annually for all vehicles. You go to private garages licenced by the State Police to perform the inspection. Can Virginia law enforcement issue "faulty equipment" summonses that carry fines, or can they order you only to back for inspection?

Maryland is only when you register the car in your name for the first time. You can, however, be stopped by any sworn law enforcement occifer and be issued an "inspection ticket" which requires you to go through the whole process, again. There was no fine with it, back in the day, although that may have changed.

One thing that surprises me about Virginia is that the garages do not have a "standard repair" that they do and for which they always charge you when you go for inspection, as there is a legal limit to what the garage can charge you for the inspection. New York has a periodic inspection law similar to Virginia's. To this day, when you go to the garage anywhere in New York State for an inspection, you will be charged for a headlight adjustment, whether you need it, or not. I am surprised that Virginia garages do not do similarly.

New2This

Does the Commonwealth require that you pass inspection before it will issue licence plates?
Emissions inspection before issuing plates but not safety.

I think the safety inspection sticker is something the cop looks for when pulling you over, and the parking enforcement* people will write you for.

*DC parking enforcement Gestapo will write a VA registered vehicle for an expired or missing inspection sticker. To quote @Another Uber Driver "ask me how I know".

Another Uber Driver

I've seen some Maryland 'vehicles' that looked like the last time they passed inspection was a few months after they were BUILT.
It is just that the police have not pulled over the car and written an inspection ticket, Y-E-T.

It is usually the Maryland Staters that issue the inspection tickets, but, I have seen the Local Yokels do it. When I was still in college, my mother had this hoopty of a VW Squareback. It had two burnt valves, so it was loud. It also had cracked and broken tail light lensess, marker light lenses and directional lenses. I was driving it on a Brew Run when a Montcommiery County Police pulled me over and wrote an inspection ticket. He wrote it for the cracked and broken lenses and the "muffler". Ma took it to a garage and asked up front about the "muffler". The guy could tell the noise was due to burnt valves, and he said that he would not pass it unless she had that addressed. Of course, the car was not worth what the cost was, so she donated it to the high school mechanic shop class and handed in the licence plates. A State Police showed up at her house as she was about to take me to the station so that I could get a train back to school about three months after the fact. He announced that he was looking for her Squareback and was there to take the plates. She went back inside and got the receipt for the donation of the car and the handing in of the plates. She told the Stater that if he wanted to see the car, he could go to the local high school and it might still be there or they could tell him what happened to it.

The point is that if you do not go for the inspection, the State Police will come to your home and take the plates. The same goes if your insurance lapses.

UberPotomac

It is just that the police have not pulled over the car and written an inspection ticket, Y-E-T.

It is usually the Maryland Staters that issue the inspection tickets, but, I have seen the Local Yokels do it. When I was still in college, my mother had this hoopty of a VW Squareback. It had two burnt valves, so it was loud. It also had cracked and broken tail light lensess, marker light lenses and directional lenses. I was driving it on a Brew Run when a Montcommiery County Police pulled me over and wrote an inspection ticket. He wrote it for the cracked and broken lenses and the "muffler". Ma took it to a garage and asked up front about the "muffler". The guy could tell the noise was due to burnt valves, and he said that he would not pass it unless she had that addressed. Of course, the car was not worth what the cost was, so she donated it to the high school mechanic shop class and handed in the licence plates. A State Police showed up at her house as she was about to take me to the station so that I could get a train back to school about three months after the fact. He announced that he was looking for her Squareback and was there to take the plates. She went back inside and got the receipt for the donation of the car and the handing in of the plates. She told the Stater that if he wanted to see the car, he could go to the local high school and it might still be there or they could tell him what happened to it.

The point is that if you do not go for the inspection, the State Police will come to your home and take the plates. The same goes if your insurance lapses.
Is the first time I hear about State police coming to your house.
Md requires inspection ONLY when you purchase the vehicle .Yes , they can pull you over and require a safety inspection if they see something wrong . Then you have to repair the issue , go to a MD inspection station and they verify you fix THAT PARTICULAR issue and sign off on it .
You can also go to the MD STATE POLICE and a inspector will verify it.
It happen to me on a Windshield on a RAMCHARGER I use to own.

Last edited:

Q:

A:

It does not. The safety inspection aspect is not tied in to registration in any way.

The tailpipe emissions aspect for cars garaged overnight (Ill go into detail in a bit on this) in counties of: Arlington, Fairfax, Prince William, Stafford and Loudoun and the cities of Alexandria, Falls Church, Fairfax (Two distinct land areas use the same name), and Manassas/Manassas Park require you to test your vehicle for emissions biannually. Youre allowed a one month extension every year you need to test. When you first title or tag the car, and the car has yet to be tested; you are given a normal metal plate with a one month experation date. You are also allowed to choose a vanity plate during this period if youre tagging for the first time.

Every time after that, you can ask for a one time month extention, which costs close to $20 because the DMV charges $5 for plate transactions. They consider it a transaction you can do online, however you cannot ask for the month extension online.

The emissions is tied to the county you pay taxes in, as the Virginian SSR loves taxes. There is also a 2% sales tax on groceries. How the comminist states of Maryland and DC (I consider VA a totalitarian state, which is really what the USSR was hence me adding SSR to Virginia) havent thought of taxing cars for simply being owned or a sale tax on groceries is beyond me.

But back on topic, if you "garage" your car outside Northern Virginia; you do not need emissions.

The inspection is reported to the state but not the DMV. The DMV does not care about it.

The new blue inspection stickers (they were yellow for at least 30 years) have a serial number on the month sticker that gets applied to the actual sticker. They have done this to "prevent fraud". The older ones didnt. Month and year stickers were simply printed for the yellow sticker, which was the only thing with a serial number. Now both expiration month and the sticker itself have one. Unless they change this for 2020, the year is printed on the sticker now.

Ive driven without an inspection before. As long as you dont get pulled over its a non issue.

It used to be in Maryland that you could get temporary plates and a temporary registration good for thirty days, but you did not get regular plates, registration or a title until you passed inspection.
My understanding of that is that now you get 45 days, the hard tag but not sure of the title.

Virginia is annually for all vehicles. You go to private garages licenced by the State Police to perform the inspection. Can Virginia law enforcement issue "faulty equipment" summonses that carry fines, or can they order you only to back for inspection?
You can have a valid inspection and be summoned for "Defective Equipment". For example, you can be 5 months into your last inspection and get cited that for a cracked windshield or broken glass. Its the equivilent of a fix it ticket.

Legally, youre supposed to reinspect when you change your windshield because the stickers arent meant to be taken off the glass and will raise the letters "VOID" when you do scrape them off but its not enforced. Speaking truthfully, the letters raise up anyway as time goes on because no inspector sets the sticker right and the sticker gets air pockets that unstick the sticker with time.

One thing that surprises me about Virginia is that the garages do not have a "standard repair" that they do and for which they always charge you when you go for inspection, as there is a legal limit to what the garage can charge you for the inspection.
Because it is more beneficial to fail a car for multiple things than it is to "change a bulb".

Virginia's inspection racket works a bit different.

I think the safety inspection sticker is something the cop looks for when pulling you over, and the parking enforcement* people will write you for.
Yup. Motorcycle cops will use this to pull you over for as well. In my experience they have not actually ran the numbers on the sticker although they are supposed to when you are pulled over.

*DC parking enforcement Gestapo will write a VA registered vehicle for an expired or missing inspection sticker. To quote @Another Uber Driver "ask me how I know".

This is a peculiar statement because something that has become "a thing" in DC is that people are registering cars in Virginia but arent getting the inspection done.

Its extremely interesting to drive in certain neighborhoods in DC only to see VA plates and no inspections.
Post automatically merged:

Is the first time I hear about State police coming to your house.
Md requires inspection ONLY when you purchase the vehicle .Yes , they can pull you over and require a safety inspection if they see something wrong . Then you have to repair the issue , go to a MD inspection station and they verify you fix THAT PARTICULAR issue and sign off on it .
You can also go to the MD STATE POLICE and a inspector will verify it.
It happen to me on a Windshield on a RAMCHARGER I use to own.
MD police officers do go to your house and remove your plates if you dont have insurance though. I think the lapse is 3 months or something.

Im surprised you owned a Ramcharger lol

UberPotomac

Q:

A:

It does not. The safety inspection aspect is not tied in to registration in any way.

The tailpipe emissions aspect for cars garaged overnight (Ill go into detail in a bit on this) in counties of: Arlington, Fairfax, Prince William, Stafford and Loudoun and the cities of Alexandria, Falls Church, Fairfax (Two distinct land areas use the same name), and Manassas/Manassas Park require you to test your vehicle for emissions biannually. Youre allowed a one month extension every year you need to test. When you first title or tag the car, and the car has yet to be tested; you are given a normal metal plate with a one month experation date. You are also allowed to choose a vanity plate during this period if youre tagging for the first time.

Every time after that, you can ask for a one time month extention, which costs close to $20 because the DMV charges $5 for plate transactions. They consider it a transaction you can do online, however you cannot ask for the month extension online.

The emissions is tied to the county you pay taxes in, as the Virginian SSR loves taxes. There is also a 2% sales tax on groceries. How the comminist states of Maryland and DC (I consider VA a totalitarian state, which is really what the USSR was hence me adding SSR to Virginia) havent thought of taxing cars for simply being owned or a sale tax on groceries is beyond me.

But back on topic, if you "garage" your car outside Northern Virginia; you do not need emissions.

The inspection is reported to the state but not the DMV. The DMV does not care about it.

The new blue inspection stickers (they were yellow for at least 30 years) have a serial number on the month sticker that gets applied to the actual sticker. They have done this to "prevent fraud". The older ones didnt. Month and year stickers were simply printed for the yellow sticker, which was the only thing with a serial number. Now both expiration month and the sticker itself have one. Unless they change this for 2020, the year is printed on the sticker now.

Ive driven without an inspection before. As long as you dont get pulled over its a non issue.

My understanding of that is that now you get 45 days, the hard tag but not sure of the title.

You can have a valid inspection and be summoned for "Defective Equipment". For example, you can be 5 months into your last inspection and get cited that for a cracked windshield or broken glass. Its the equivilent of a fix it ticket.

Legally, youre supposed to reinspect when you change your windshield because the stickers arent meant to be taken off the glass and will raise the letters "VOID" when you do scrape them off but its not enforced. Speaking truthfully, the letters raise up anyway as time goes on because no inspector sets the sticker right and the sticker gets air pockets that unstick the sticker with time.

Because it is more beneficial to fail a car for multiple things than it is to "change a bulb".

Virginia's inspection racket works a bit different.

Yup. Motorcycle cops will use this to pull you over for as well. In my experience they have not actually ran the numbers on the sticker although they are supposed to when you are pulled over.

This is a peculiar statement because something that has become "a thing" in DC is that people are registering cars in Virginia but arent getting the inspection done.

Its extremely interesting to drive in certain neighborhoods in DC only to see VA plates and no inspections.
Post automatically merged:

MD police officers do go to your house and remove your plates if you dont have insurance though. I think the lapse is 3 months or something.

Im surprised you owned a Ramcharger lol
Why are you surprised?
Loved the ramcharger . Alluminun valve covers , big carb , big tires and custom dual exhaust.
Texas Ranger style.