• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Uber Newbie in ILM

Danny Gee

Hello - I appreciate everyone's posts in the forum - they've helped me make some realistic expectations to the ride-share game in town. I took the plunge this weekend, and two days and 18 trips later, I'm pretty happy with how its gone. I have two lingering questions after this first weekend:

1) I get the queue system at ILM. I'm unclear where the queue is? It appears to be the cell phone lot off of Trask Drive? I've seen the bemoaning of waiting in the queue. For me, I'm hoping to source the airport regularly since I live close by.

2) I'm reading a lot of commentary about not chasing surge and I understand the rationale. I'm curious how the surge is created - is it based on the demand? or the lack of drivers in that area?

Appreciate any thoughts and I hope to contribute to other posts going forward. Cheers.

wallae

I'm 5 months in. I have been in solid red for 20 minutes without getting a ride so its not demand

TeeBird100

Regarding the surge, the reason you don't chase it is that it is purely predictive, not reality.

I went down to Carolina Beach one early Friday morning, around 4:30 AM when it was bright red. No other drivers were down there. Sat for an hour while the color remained red and did not get a single ride. Saw a beautiful sunset, but only spent some money on gas.

Wilmington surges except for the beaches in the early evening and Friday and Saturday nights downtown are purely to get drivers to the area in case someone pings you. But it does not mean that there are riders waiting. And when Uber determines it has the driver coverage it wants for potential demand, the surge will disappear.

Good luck and see you on the roads.

thomas brent

Hello - I appreciate everyone's posts in the forum - they've helped me make some realistic expectations to the ride-share game in town. I took the plunge this weekend, and two days and 18 trips later, I'm pretty happy with how its gone. I have two lingering questions after this first weekend:

1) I get the queue system at ILM. I'm unclear where the queue is? It appears to be the cell phone lot off of Trask Drive? I've seen the bemoaning of waiting in the queue. For me, I'm hoping to source the airport regularly since I live close by.

2) I'm reading a lot of commentary about not chasing surge and I understand the rationale. I'm curious how the surge is created - is it based on the demand? or the lack of drivers in that area?

Appreciate any thoughts and I hope to contribute to other posts going forward. Cheers.
ive tried the airport gig several times....major waste of time