• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Uber Navigation Problems

Does Uber ever take you to a totally wrong pick-up location?

• Total voters

Kerux

It seems like every 3rd to 4th trip the Uber navigation takes me to a wrong location. Either it takes me to a wrong house number or a location a half-mile through-the-woods away. This happens with both Google Maps and the native Uber navigation app. (My phone's navigation works correctly with all other apps, so I believe it is something technically wrong on Uber's side of things.)

I am looking to get this resolved, because it the driving experience frustrating and unreliable, and makes me (the driver) look stupid when I can't pick up the person at the correct location. Anyone having these problems? If so, what answers or solutions have you found?

I have tried calling Uber for tech-support, but have received no help, no explanation and no solutions beyond - "try restarting your app". When I ask them if they have received other communication about this the Uber rep always says, "No, you're the first" or "Maybe one other call." I find that hard to believe.

Merc7186

You have to be smarter than the Uber GPS. While there is nothing you can do with a pax dropping a pin in a bad spot, you really do have to know where you are driving in order to get around.

I have a perfect ant story that spotlights this very topic. In September, I ordered an Uber from work to the airport. My building is literally across the street from the cell phone lot. The driver that took my request was driving down Aero Drive heading towards me....but then proceeded to follow the GPS by going in the wrong direction, turning down the side street next to the runway, turning around and headed back towards me...an extra mile of driving and 4 minutes wasted. But then the ant missed my street...twice. Then decided it would be quicker to drive through the airport property rather than pull a U Turn on Genesee.

Ants follow Ubers GPS. Know your area.

Solid 5

You have to be smarter than the Uber GPS. While there is nothing you can do with a pax dropping a pin in a bad spot, you really do have to know where you are driving in order to get around.

Ants........gonna..............ant. Know your area.
FYP.

ROCuberguy585

I have a perfect ant story that spotlights this very topic. In September, I ordered an Uber from work to the airport. My building is literally across the street from the cell phone lot. The driver that took my request was driving down Aero Drive heading towards me....but then proceeded to follow the GPS by going in the wrong direction, turning down the side street next to the runway, turning around and headed back towards me...an extra mile of driving and 4 minutes wasted. But then the ant missed my street...twice. Then decided it would be quicker to drive through the airport property rather than pull a U Turn on Genesee.

Ants follow Ubers GPS. Know your area.
I will say having dealt with this a driver and as a pax that it's harder to set the pin then we'd like to think it is. When I did it if I typed in my address it put the pin way up on the road going through my complex, maybe 100 yards from my apartment and out of line-of-sight from it. If I dragged the pin then it changed the address to the side street behind me. I ended up typing it in, but I made sure I was at the pin location when he pulled up. Not the driver's fault the pin is screwed up.

With that in mind I will make a reasonable effort as a driver to find the pax. That effort though ends at 5 minutes. At that point if I don't have a direct line-of-sight on the pax or they don't appear ready (ex. I pull up at 5 mins, they signal "1 sec" then run back inside) I cancel and move on.

Yesterday in the snow took a ping from a 5.0 which many of you know I'm weary of because they are typically fairly new riders. This lady definitely wasn't used to how this works. The pin was on a busy suburban street that I'm quite familiar with. The GPS tried turning me down a side street, I did pull onto it and turn around because I didn't feel like driving up and down the street 3-4 times in the snow to find here. I normally don't call but it's snowing so I want to keep moving and texting will take to long. I call, she doesn't answer, still have 2 mins to go on the countdown. She calls back. Tell her I'm on the side street, which is right by her and most local residents know and she tells me she has no clue where that is. I throw out some landmarks and she gets me going in the right direction. I pass her little private street/lane ( not on the map and she sees me. That makes me assume she's outside. Turn around and pull down there for about 30 seconds and see no one. By this time the cancel button has popped up and I get a Lyft ping from just 2 minutes away. See ya!! Turns out she was headed to the airport. Hope she didn't miss her flight. I've got no time for new pax that don't know enough to be ready before ordering!

Merc7186

There is one place that always trips up ants in Buffalo is Misuto Chows on Main Street. If pax type in the name, it works out fine but if pax drop a pin on Main Street, it lists the address to the street behind it. Pax always thank me for picking them up there because the drivers usually go to the street address and eventually cancel.

The place is supposed to be a Video Game Bar but like most things in Buffalo, it's a sad representation of one and a shell of an actual place.

Solid 5

There is one place that always trips up ants in Buffalo is Misuto Chows on Main Street. If pax type in the name, it works out fine but if pax drop a pin on Main Street, it lists the address to the street behind it. Pax always thank me for picking them up there because the drivers usually go to the street address and eventually cancel.

The place is supposed to be a Video Game Bar but like most things in Buffalo, it's a sad representation of one and a shell of an actual place.
Here in Charlotte, if you are anywhere southeast of CLT Airport, even if you put in the correct address, the PIN drops the pax off at the BACK of the airport in the cargo area (because according to the app, that part of the address is the closest to the pax when you pick them up; going to the actual entrance is the LONG way according to the navigation). Unfortunately for stupid ants, Uptown is......southeast of CLT. You have no idea how many pax I have had that told me a past driver had done that to them.

And yes, even though I had done a bunch of CLT runs when I moved down here, the first time I took someone to CLT from Uptown, I myself was a "stupid ant". Gotta own up to the mistakes sometimes. At least I fudged my way through my mistake and the pax was cool about it.

ckg927

ACTUALLY, I had a pax yesterday who was heading there yesterday, she works at Misuta Chow's. It had the Main St. location, so I asked her about it and she said to use Washington St. as the drop-off point.

ROCuberguy585

Had a couple just last night that I never would have found because they were back in a plaza at 250 and 31 and their pin was on the wrong street. They texted me the business name and I was like "I know that". GPS would have had me lost and if I didn't know the area I would have had to have the pax direct me to them (always scary).

Fairport Public Landing causes issues because the pin for most of those businesses is on Main Street but most of the businesses are on the 2nd level and open up to the parking lot in back. The app also can't tell if they are at The Landing (bar, entrance on main) or directly upstairs at the UPS Store. You have to be the judge given the time of day. Any driver that's ever been to NAZ knows the GPS will try to take you down a footpath behind the athletic fields instead of on the road around it. At Fisher if they use their GPS and are towards the back of campus the pin will be on the 490 ramp for East Rochester. Strong can be troublesome because if they use GPS and request while they're walking from the back of the building it'll come up as either Golisano or the cancer center. When that's case I typically stay put. By the time you go from the children's or cancer entrance on Crittenden to the main entrance on Elmwood it'll usually be past 5 mins, especially at rush hour which is when most of those pickups happen for me.

Have to be smarter than the app, if what it tells you seems wrong it probably is. If you can figure it out without expending too much energy then great. If not I recommend getting as close as to the pin as possible and just let that timer tick down.

ROCuberguy585

How about texting pax and asking their exact location?
I'll text them my exact location, they are supposed to be at the pin. If they send me their location and I can figure it out easily I'll move. Otherwise it's on them. Seems cold but we don't get paid enough to constantly be on wild goose chases.
Not.............our..................job.................

They know we are coming, THEY ORDERED THE DAMN RIDE lol........
Seriously! When I ordered a ride from my place I walked to the pin. When I ordered a ride from my parent's (who have a long driveway) to the Airport I immediately texted the driver directions on how to find the house. Compared to the stuff we routinely deal with it should be pretty easy for them to be prepared for our arrival. And more to Solid 5 's point, not only do they know we're coming but they can track us the whole way! It's on them. I'm not a jerk about it but I'm not killing myself for pennies over here.

jaystonepk

I simply text them "Main or Pearl?" when I get pickups from Main Street, as I know the pin drops there are FUBAR. I'll move if they respond with their location. If they are too lazy to check their phone and respond they can re-order after I cancel, or if someone responds with "we're at rec room" which is on neither Main nor Pearl.

ROCuberguy585

I simply text them "Main or Pearl?" when I get pickups from Main Street, as I know the pin drops there are FUBAR. I'll move if they respond with their location. If they are too lazy to check their phone and respond they can re-order after I cancel, or if someone responds with "we're at rec room" which is on neither Main nor Pearl.
I had one girl a few weeks ago that I texted her my exact location in detail, no response for a full minute. Then the response I get is "are you here yet?" So at that point I maintained radio silence until 5 minutes and got out of there. Don't need to deal with someone that drunk and clueless for what doubt amounts to a $5-6 ride.

NEZRA

It seems like every 3rd to 4th trip the Uber navigation takes me to a wrong location. Either it takes me to a wrong house number or a location a half-mile through-the-woods away. This happens with both Google Maps and the native Uber navigation app. (My phone's navigation works correctly with all other apps, so I believe it is something technically wrong on Uber's side of things.)

I am looking to get this resolved, because it the driving experience frustrating and unreliable, and makes me (the driver) look stupid when I can't pick up the person at the correct location. Anyone having these problems? If so, what answers or solutions have you found?

I have tried calling Uber for tech-support, but have received no help, no explanation and no solutions beyond - "try restarting your app". When I ask them if they have received other communication about this the Uber rep always says, "No, you're the first" or "Maybe one other call." I find that hard to believe.
In-app Uber Navigation is, not infrequently, misleading and frustrating. As driver you might expect any weird issues you can imagine; from distortion of the map making extreme zooming-in of the highlighted driving road that makes you like blind when only few feet of the whole road is displayed on the screen up to guiding the driver to a completely wrong destination...!!! I wonder why UBER does not take action despite the large number of complains!