1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Uber Melbourne driver partners: does Uber Australia tell you that uberX driving is illegal?

Discussion in 'Melbourne' started by WAKE UP AUSTRALIA, Sep 28, 2015.

1. As at today (September 29th, 2015), there is no state or territory in Australia where driving for uberX is a legal activity. Illegal activities are not 'authorised', they are in fact prohibited.

What exactly does Uber Australia tell uberX drivers? Does it tell drivers that uberX is illegal?

Perhaps forum members would like to share their experience with others. Prospective uberX drivers reading this deserve fair warning about exactly what they are signing up for.

Putting the media to one side, this forum remains the main outlet for uberX drivers to tell the truth about Uber and its business practices.

So, on behalf of all those considering signing up with Uber:

Do uberX drivers set out to break laws and regulations? Or does Uber Melbourne mislead them about these matters when drivers sign up?

Wake Up Australia.

Sydney Uber likes this.
  2. Naomi Mason

Naomi Mason

Driving:
    UberX
    I have just been reading about this. Its not illegal at all. The only caveat is that drivers must have an ABN and register for GST by August 2015. Drivers now must pay tax on their income by submitting BAS statements.

3. Naomi Mason

Naomi Mason

Driving:
    UberX
    Forgive me as I am a newbie, I have been looking around and to me it would seem that if you have a hire car registration, are properly insured and registered with the ATO, claiming your Uber income. Its then not illegal.

4. If you are referring to UberBLACK, then you may well be correct. If you are referring to uberX, then it would seem not. I would advise you to look through this posting:

https://uberpeople.net/threads/date...enner-now-2pm-sept-25th-melb-mag-court.30899/

Does Uber Melbourne tell drivers that uberX is legal?

5. UberRon

UberRon

Looks like you will be eating them words sooner rather than later.

UberNow likes this.
  6. hunterbb

hunterbb

ACT is legal though :p
    if is illegal...why not police come and catch us? :p isant pretty hard to find 20k uber driver?

7. Sydney Uber

Sydney Uber

Driving:
    UberBLACK
    Uber has yet to agree to the new ACT requirements to allow them to operate legally

At this stage the biggest winners are the Taxis who have had their $22,000 P/A lease slashed by $11,000. And that will be halved again in 2017. Hire car operators have had their license fee smashed from $4160 to $100 p/a.

UBERX cars however NOW require a 6 monthly inspection, proper business registration, correct commercial insurance, correct public passenger third party personal insurance (not the inadequate Uber insurance that is peddled elsewhere). These are EXTRA costs that an UBER driver has to cover.

I haven't EVER heard of UBER raising rates so that its drivers can cover compliance costs and make a fair living..... Have you??

8. Sydney Uber

Sydney Uber

Driving:
    UberBLACK
    UBERX is only legal in the ACT if you comply with the new Public Passenger requirements for UBERX Drivers.

Do you carry the correct insurance? Have you registered your car for business use? Are you happy that no matter how little you go out Ubering you will need to get your car inspected and rectify any faults that are found?

9. AJ87

AJ87

Driving:
    UberX
    Sydney Uber, curious what your angle is here?

So we know that it flouts the letter of the law... Yes. Is it a law that will change in time.... Yes. Is a risk vs reward approach.... Yes.

Not entirely sure why you are posting if you are anti uber, don't you have better things to do with your life. I certainly would prefer not to read your dribble.

10. UberRon

UberRon

Well let's just hope that those plate owners pass on a rate rise to the drivers.
    At the end of the day you would hope that the real winners are the public that use these services...

11. Sydney Uber

Sydney Uber

Driving:
    UberBLACK
    The way I see it panning out, is there won't be any Taxi Fare increases for 3-7 years, with driver payins (shift rentals) remaining static aswell.

What it will allow in the short term is Cab owners bringing forward their plans to renew their vehicles which directly improves the quality of service to the public. Not having to find $211.00 a week to cover plate lease is going to be a huge weight off their shoulders.