• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Uber Mandates Ohio Drivers Get Kentucky Vehicle Inspection To Make Kentucky Pickups

For Ohio Drivers Do You Want To Pickup Passengers In Kentucky

• Total voters

jrich6234

For Ohio Drivers:

If you want to continue working in Kentucky - you have until August 20, 2018 to complete a Kentucky Motor Vehicle Inspection. This directly affects Ohio drivers working CVG.

Screenshot_20180725-185506_Uber Driver.jpg

Lessthanminimum

This is what I was told by the Greenlight Hub in Cincinnati too. However when I call Uber support they say no that's not true. They claim the only time you need a vehicle inspection is for rides originating out of Lexington Louisville or Bowling Green.

The lady at the Greenlight Hub also told me I could take this inspection any Valvoline and they would do it. However when I went to Valvoline and so we don't do this

So do we need an inspection or not?

jrich6234

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yes, you absolutely need to get this done before August 20, 2018 or you will NO longer receive ride requests originating from Kentucky. This is per Uber Corporate and the screenshot I posted came directly from them.

I got mine done on Wednesday, August 8, 2018 and if you go to any Jiffy Lube location they will do it for $20 plus tax. They are an official Uber partner so if you go and the location says they know nothing about the $20 special price, you can go in the app under “Ratings” and then “Driving Rewards”, “Car Maintenance” for details on the Jiffy Lube partner offer.

7he_AlphAOmegA

For Ohio Drivers:

If you want to continue working in Kentucky - you have until August 20, 2018 to complete a Kentucky Motor Vehicle Inspection. This directly affects Ohio drivers working CVG.

View attachment 246525
I just want to know what makes Kentucky’s State Inspection so different and special...I have a Texas State Inspection...My State’s bigger, I win, which means I’ll drive where the hell I want and I’m pretty sure as an “Independent Contractor” there ain’t shit Uber can do about it!

I’ve driven for Lyft in 8 or 9 different states with ZERO issues.

jrich6234

I just want to know what makes Kentucky’s State Inspection so different and special...I have a Texas State Inspection...My State’s bigger, I win, which means I’ll drive where the hell I want and I’m pretty sure as an “Independent Contractor” there ain’t shit Uber can do about it!

I’ve driven for Lyft in 8 or 9 different states with ZERO issues.
WTF...?

How do you drive rideshare and NOT know the law for the state you work in?

Just to be clear -

1. This is an Uber issue, it has nothing to do with Lyft.
  2. The Kentucky inspection is required by state law for rideshare drivers - it is not optional if you want to pickup passengers in Kentucky.
  3. It doesn’t matter what state you happen to be from or how many times your car has been inspected - no KY inspection means you DON’T work rideshare in KY. Period.
  4. Size doesn’t matter here - you can not comply and drive anywhere you want. You just won’t have Kentucky passengers that start their ride in Kentucky.
From Uber’s website for Kentucky drivers:

Annual vehicle inspections

Download an inspection form
Kentucky state law requires Uber partners to have their vehicle inspected by a third party mechanic within 30 days of being activated to receive ride requests by a TNC. This vehicle inspection must be done on an annual basis.​

BTW, Uber requires a new background check every time you change states. Lyft may or may not. So you can’t do something bad in Texas and go drive in Ohio if you work for Uber.

7he_AlphAOmegA

WTF...?

Just to be clear -

2. The Kentucky inspection is required by state law for rideshare drivers - it is not optional if you want to pickup passengers in Kentucky.
  3. It doesn’t matter what state you happen to be from or how many times your car has been inspected - no KY inspection means you DON’T work rideshare in KY. Period.
  4. Size doesn’t matter here - you can not comply and drive anywhere you want. You just won’t have Kentucky passengers that start their ride in Kentucky.

Kentucky state law requires Uber partners to have their vehicle inspected by a third party mechanic within 30 days of being activated to receive ride requests by a TNC. This vehicle inspection must be done on an annual basis.​

BTW, Uber requires a new background check every time you change states. Lyft may or may not. So you can’t do something bad in Texas and go drive in Ohio if you work for Uber.
WTF...?

Just to be clear -

I’ll address your sarcasm first by requesting that you read the Post Title again and pay attention to where it says Ohio & Kentucky, last I checked those are 2 different states. The issue here goes back to the fact that Uber categorizes it’s Drivers as “Independent Contractors” which gives the sole discretion on “WHERE” I choose to drive my car my decision and mine alone so long as the trip originates within the State for which my Background Report was ran for (which is Ohio & not Kentucky). As a Driver in the State of Ohio (not Kentucky) I could care less what the “law for rideshare drivers” is in Kentucky as have zero intention on ever initiating a ride, beginning a trip or picking riders up in Kentucky. If you have not read a post that speaks on this matter then I suggest you do so as it clearly says “You can drop off your passengers anywhere. You cannot pick up anywhere, however.”

So, just to be clear -
  1. This IS an Uber issue because a Company called “Uber” is doing the mandating here...
  2. I understand what you’re saying here, my issue is that there are so many States that DO NOT require Inspection (Tennessee being one of them). Is Uber making Tennessee Drivers get Kentucky Inspection? Or how about Missouri Drivers or any of the 7 State that border Kentucky?
  3. Again read the post title again chief.
  4. All that huffing & puffing for nothing...I drive in Ohio because Ohio is where I feel like driving, if I wanted to drive in Kentucky, I would’ve moved to Kentucky. Pretty sure not be able to pick up Kentucky riders won’t make me lose any sleep.
And to address the rest of your nonsense, this has been an issue that the State of Kentucky initiated back in September 2014 of which the State requested that the Taxi companies provide their input towards the regulations. Basically the Taxi companies teamed up with the State to keep Uber & Lyft in only 2 cities which at that time only operated in Louisville & Lexington with Cincinnati being a city in the State of Ohio, which sits on Kentucky's northern border if you didn’t know that.

jrich6234

The title of the post says it all - specifically it talks about requiring ALL drivers interested in picking up passengers in KY to get the inspection to comply with state law. The message Uber sent said that if you only plan to pickup in Ohio then do nothing.

Reading is essential...

ScottieNATI

My question is why doesn’t this affect drivers that live in KY, we don’t have to go through no “special” inspection, I mean we do go through a sherrifs inspection at their request but that is it.

BigBadBob

I had the same thoughts. There is some comfort knowing my car is roadworthy. 8 years old and 140000 miles. I passed, had to replace a hose and the brake pads and rotors. No big deal. $120 with the inspection

Rosalita

For Ohio Drivers:

View attachment 246525
Doesn't Uber already have standards for vehicles? I mean it's not like we're driving horse and buggies around anymore or able to drive 20 year old vehicles. Looks like a revenue grab by Kentucky to me.
Post automatically merged:

I’ll address your sarcasm first by requesting that you read the Post Title again and pay attention to where it says Ohio & Kentucky, last I checked those are 2 different states. The issue here goes back to the fact that Uber categorizes it’s Drivers as “Independent Contractors” which gives the sole discretion on “WHERE” I choose to drive my car my decision and mine alone so long as the trip originates within the State for which my Background Report was ran for (which is Ohio & not Kentucky). As a Driver in the State of Ohio (not Kentucky) I could care less what the “law for rideshare drivers” is in Kentucky as have zero intention on ever initiating a ride, beginning a trip or picking riders up in Kentucky. If you have not read a post that speaks on this matter then I suggest you do so as it clearly says “You can drop off your passengers anywhere. You cannot pick up anywhere, however.”

So, just to be clear -
  1. This IS an Uber issue because a Company called “Uber” is doing the mandating here...
  2. I understand what you’re saying here, my issue is that there are so many States that DO NOT require Inspection (Tennessee being one of them). Is Uber making Tennessee Drivers get Kentucky Inspection? Or how about Missouri Drivers or any of the 7 State that border Kentucky?
  3. Again read the post title again chief.
  4. All that huffing & puffing for nothing...I drive in Ohio because Ohio is where I feel like driving, if I wanted to drive in Kentucky, I would’ve moved to Kentucky. Pretty sure not be able to pick up Kentucky riders won’t make me lose any sleep.
And to address the rest of your nonsense, this has been an issue that the State of Kentucky initiated back in September 2014 of which the State requested that the Taxi companies provide their input towards the regulations. Basically the Taxi companies teamed up with the State to keep Uber & Lyft in only 2 cities which at that time only operated in Louisville & Lexington with Cincinnati being a city in the State of Ohio, which sits on Kentucky's northern border if you didn’t know that.

I picked up a pax at Cleveland airport and drove them to Detroit. Michigan didn't say I needed to have my vehicle inspected to be able to pick up or drop off pax in that state.

BigBadBob

Doesn't Uber already have standards for vehicles? I mean it's not like we're driving horse and buggies around anymore or able to drive 20 year old vehicles. Looks like a revenue grab by Kentucky to me.
Post automatically merged:

I picked up a pax at Cleveland airport and drove them to Detroit. Michigan didn't say I needed to have my vehicle inspected to be able to pick up or drop off pax in that state.
Without the inspection for KY, you can drop in KY but not pick up