Uber, Lyft: Wait timer so obviously missing!

David Pickett

As I sit waiting for a passenger, or waiting for a mistaken call to cancel, where is my wait timer, to tell me if I have hit 5 minutes yet?

DAS-AUTO

I do like that Lyft fares start as soon as you arrive. I keep getting Uber calls that aren't ready... "oh, you were faster than I thought". Time = money. Of course here in Tampa it's only .11/min, so that wouldn't amount to much.

David Pickett

Even with Lyft, there is a 5+ minute cancel fee paid for arrival without any passenger. The computers should tell us how far into those 5 minutes we are.

When I get a bum request, drive the pickup, sit and wait, call and find out they are duffers in some other state, I am fine with them paying me a little something for the time and money I expended on them. Some contact Uber/Lyft and beg off. That's life.

TClarkeWasHere

Lyft is 10mins in Vegas.. The odd thing is Lyft line actually has the timer but for Lyft line it is a 2min timer. Then you can leave and the passenger gets charged $5

observer

As I sit waiting for a passenger, or waiting for a mistaken call to cancel, where is my wait timer, to tell me if I have hit 5 minutes yet?

There was a forum member a while back that developed a timer app. I think it was a few bux. I'll try and find it.

David Pickett

Yes, but since Uber and Lyft can add this to the app and turn it on at the appropriate times when a 5 minute limit applies, the use of another app is way too distracting, demanding, less accurate, trustworthy (if you start at the wrong moment). At least, they need to just post the time when the 5 minute limit is up. But a full internal timer would release us the second the time was up.

David Pickett

Now with Lyft Line, they are instituting a 1 minute wait time. Will they support the driver with a timer?

As LV has 10 and 2 minute timers, it is even more important that the app. support this. What if I wander from one jurisdiction to another?

Stygge

Yes, but since Uber and Lyft can add this to the app and turn it on at the appropriate times when a 5 minute limit applies, the use of another app is way too distracting, demanding, less accurate, trustworthy (if you start at the wrong moment). At least, they need to just post the time when the 5 minute limit is up. But a full internal timer would release us the second the time was up.
What would the incentive be for uber to implement this? They would prefer you to wait longer.

JMBF831

Uber and Lyft have a $5 no show fee for the drivers, not for the company. They would rather us wait a little longer to ensure the fare. Plus, the fare would potentially be for more than the minimum fare...

David Pickett

Interesting question -- Would Uber/Lyft set the limit higher/lower to make more money over the long run, and which way, and why? They might profit more from releasing a driver earlier from a less profitable situation, no profit after timer is up, unless enough more riders show up just then. If the additional ridership was worth it, would they not move the timer up or down? They have no motive but long term profit and complete control.

Let's assume that where they set the timer represents a break even on the statistical case, so if we capture the fee and get back online, they make more money, as do the drivers. More drivers means lower wait times, higher ridership, fewer cancels, fewer going to taxi, bus, long walk!

Stygge

Interesting question -- Would Uber/Lyft set the limit higher/lower to make more money over the long run, and which way, and why? They might profit more from releasing a driver earlier from a less profitable situation, no profit after timer is up, unless enough more riders show up just then. If the additional ridership was worth it, would they not move the timer up or down? They have no motive but long term profit and complete control.

Let's assume that where they set the timer represents a break even on the statistical case, so if we capture the fee and get back online, they make more money, as do the drivers. More drivers means lower wait times, higher ridership, fewer cancels, fewer going to taxi, bus, long walk!
What you're missing is there is no lack of drivers. They onboard new people every day. Uber wouldn't be hurt if you wait 24 hours for a rider to show up.

David Pickett

Yet they still have huge incentives to sign people up. Not every area, time is overloaded.

Min fare is more than timeout fee. Driver/Uber gets % of both.

EX_

You have to keep track of the time, not Uber. So depend on yourself and get a stopwatch or tell time.

FYI: there actually was a visible noticification in the rider info on how much time had passed during the pax pickup arrival. But I guess drivers were benefiting too much with 5 minute cancellation fees and valuing their own time.