Uber/Lyft need to get a handle on underage pax...

NHDriver

I am at the point that I am about to only drive late nights. I am getting more and more ride requests from minors in my market and having to refuse the ride. If you keep cancelling the rides the pings stop coming and you go into U/L time out which makes earning money even more difficult. I have reported several to U/L who tell me they will look into it. Guess what, they don't. I am in a small market and get a lot of repeat riders. I am getting pings from the same minors several times a week. If i recognize the name an location I don't accept the ride. Minors have debit cards that U/L accept for payment. They don't read the ToS they just click on the box that they have. It is becoming a big problem having to cancel so many rides and wasting time plus the U/L time out for cancellations or not accepting rides. I posted what is below yesterday in a different post on here.

Well today I turned 3 teens away which is not uncommon anymore in the course of a day. However, this is the first time a mother of the teen ran up to my car screaming at me that I needed to get her daughter to field hockey practice as she has no way to get her there. The mother ranted and raved at me and would not let me get a word in edge wise. I slowly rolled up the window and started to pull away and she ran in front of my car as I was turning around to yell at me more lol. She was screaming at me nobody turns away from me. I could not move the car forward until she moved aside. She ranted for a good 5 minutes. Meanwhile the girl went back in the house and a few neighbor started gathering because she was screaming at me. I drove up on her lawn to leave and got out of there. Definitely a first for me. And yes, all on cam lol. Some crazy ass people around for sure.

Cableguynoe

And yes, all on cam lol. Some crazy ass people around for sure.

POST IT!!!!

13giphy.gif

Demon

I am at the point that I am about to only drive late nights. I am getting more and more ride requests from minors in my market and having to refuse the ride. If you keep cancelling the rides the pings stop coming and you go into U/L time out which makes earning money even more difficult. I have reported several to U/L who tell me they will look into it. Guess what, they don't. I am in a small market and get a lot of repeat riders. I am getting pings from the same minors several times a week. If i recognize the name an location I don't accept the ride. Minors have debit cards that U/L accept for payment. They don't read the ToS they just click on the box that they have. It is becoming a big problem having to cancel so many rides and wasting time plus the U/L time out for cancellations or not accepting rides. I posted what is below yesterday in a different post on here.

Well today I turned 3 teens away which is not uncommon anymore in the course of a day. However, this is the first time a mother of the teen ran up to my car screaming at me that I needed to get her daughter to field hockey practice as she has no way to get her there. The mother ranted and raved at me and would not let me get a word in edge wise. I slowly rolled up the window and started to pull away and she ran in front of my car as I was turning around to yell at me more lol. She was screaming at me nobody turns away from me. I could not move the car forward until she moved aside. She ranted for a good 5 minutes. Meanwhile the girl went back in the house and a few neighbor started gathering because she was screaming at me. I drove up on her lawn to leave and got out of there. Definitely a first for me. And yes, all on cam lol. Some crazy ass people around for sure.
I agree with you 100% and you are 100% not to take unaccompanied minors but Uber has no incentive to solve this problem.

BSki

I just sit there and wait for them to cancel, or I wait out the time, place a call and cancel. I am getting my cancel fee for them wasting my time.

The mother could have got in the your car, taken them to practice and you could have brought her back home, only option.

Most do not know that under 18 are not allowed.

NHDriver

I just sit there and wait for them to cancel, or I wait out the time, place a call and cancel. I am getting my cancel fee for them wasting my time.

The mother could have got in the your car, taken them to practice and you could have brought her back home, only option.

I was going to offer that the mom ride with us and I take her home and would have taken her home free just to please her but she wouldn't stop screaming, so F her.

Do you report to U/L when you pull up on a minor?

NHDriver

post in on youtube and share the link. Minors are all over youtube.
So I am going to take your advice and post it, however, I have the last 30 days of cam. I am going to go through the files I still have and take each file that has me asking if a teen is of age and put it all together. Then instead of showing a mad crazy women by itself, I am going to use it to put pressure on U/L. Maybe title it, UBER AND LYFT PUTTING THEIR DRIVERS IN A DIFFICULT POSITION WITH MINORS.

Your thoughts

NHDriver

Yep, right after the cancel for a no show, I send a message that the rider was under age and not transportable and they need an option for Underage rider. I also take a screen shot showing I am at the location of the ping. Just in case.
Besides the initial thank you for reaching out we take this matter seriously BS canned reply, have you ever gotten a follow up as to the action they have taken? Because I have not.

sd1303

I think Uber is/was on the right track with UberTeen. In CA, it's not illegal to transport UMs, you just need a different type of permit with more rules and requirements (and a bit of training for the drivers). Let the drivers who want to offer that service go out and meet the requirements... they'll get a bit of extra business, and will be on firm legal ground.

BSki

Besides the initial thank you for reaching out we take this matter seriously BS canned reply, have you ever gotten a follow up as to the action they have taken? Because I have not.
LSHIDMTAMSFO

So I am guessing with Uber, we need to get to the pin and also wait 5 mins before a no show cancel to get the fee? With lyft, I just drive very slowly away a block or so to make sure the ride doesn't start, then I cancel.

melusine3

Yep, right after the cancel for a no show, I send a message that the rider was under age and not transportable and they need an option for Underage rider. I also take a screen shot showing I am at the location of the ping. Just in case.
Also, take a screen shot of the ride (I always do as soon as I arrive anyway) so you have the pax name and address. They will ask you, because if you cancel and it goes away they will ask for the name.

melusine3

I think Uber is/was on the right track with UberTeen. In CA, it's not illegal to transport UMs, you just need a different type of permit with more rules and requirements (and a bit of training for the drivers). Let the drivers who want to offer that service go out and meet the requirements... they'll get a bit of extra business, and will be on firm legal ground.
It is illegal for rideshare to transport minors in Calif.

Jennttaurus

This is what happened to me Saturday when I would not transport unaccompanied minors. Uber tried to cheat me out of the cancel fee.

Attachments

• B5A9CC1D-C3C6-4A14-807C-99B7DDB44FD5.jpeg
    B5A9CC1D-C3C6-4A14-807C-99B7DDB44FD5.jpeg
    34.2 KB · Views: 96

Atom guy

Uber doesn't really care. The minor policy is only CYA for them - pushes all the responsibility onto the drivers. The parents don't care, either. They just want a cheap way to get their kids around without them having to do it themselves. I've had little kids - like 10 years old, try to get into my car by themselves.

Ribak

I find this story very hard to believe. Kids still play field hockey????