1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Uber / Lyft Mileage Deduction Combined

Discussion in 'Taxes' started by yamafx4dude, Sep 12, 2017.

1. yamafx4dude

yamafx4dude Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    I made a brief search for this but didnt find my exact answer. I was driving Uber only at first and it was simple with tracking mileage. But now that Lyft is thrown into the mix, im a bit confused on how to track the mileage for both.

Does this sound correct the way I plan to deduct the mileage:

Uber rides: Track the entire mileage start app to finish app.
    Lyft rides: Dont track the mileage.
    1099's come in: Take the total mileage I recorded w/ Uber, and deduct the mileage Lyft reports I drove "on trip" with their tax statement. (Does Lyft even report trip mileage? I know Uber does.)

So Ubers mileage deduction should be Total Mileage minus Lyft On Trip Mileage. And Lyft Mileage deduction will be whatever the total On Trip mileage is they report on my Tax Statement.

Is this right?

2. Older Chauffeur

Older Chauffeur Well-Known Member

I think you're overthinking it. Anytime a ridesharing app is on, be it Lyft or Uber, as long as you are available for a ping or driving passengers, all the mileage is deductible. Tracking your start/finish odometer readings for each shift is important, as the IRS requires a contemporaneous mileage log. But it doesn't matter which TNC you are driving for, whatever paid miles they track will serve as back up for your log, which of course will include dead miles.

Disclosure: I'm not a tax professional, but UberTaxProUberTaxPro is, and he may weigh in on this topic.

WettDreams and UberTaxPro like this.
  3. UberTaxPro

UberTaxPro Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    yamafx4dudeyamafx4dude Older Chauffeur is right on. At tax time you'll file one schedule C for all your rideshare activities. Think of it this way for your taxes, you own one rideshare business and Uber and Lyft are your two customers.

Older Chauffeur likes this.
  4. Mears Troll Number 4

Mears Troll Number 4 Well-Known Member

Driving:
    Taxi

Well

"Cash tips" are your third customer.

Like these guys said.. you are your own business and you pay uber and lyft a commission for for them sending you fares.

don't separate it. Most of the time you will be doing lyft and uber at the same time. If your not you should be...

Log on every app in your drive way (apartment building parking lot, ect)
    Write down your odometer
    Work ping to ping, with both services at once
    Log off,
    Drive home
    write down your odometer

That's the best and most reliable way to track your mileages when doing multiple services at once.

Older Chauffeur likes this.
  5. yamafx4dude

Driving:
    UberX
    But you have to enter two 1099s right? Wont they count each 1099 as a business or income?

UberTaxPro likes this.

6. UberTaxPro

Driving:
    UberX
    Yes, you can total all your ride-share 1099's and enter them on one schedule C. Same with expenses.

yamafx4dude likes this.
  7. yamafx4dude

Driving:
    UberX
    Cool thanks

8. NHDriver

NHDriver Well-Known Member

If you don't record your odometer but have a third party app that tracks all your mileage like Stride Drive, is that sufficient?

UberTaxPro likes this.
  9. UberTaxPro

Driving:
    UberX
    It's OK to use whatever tool you want to track mileage as long as you can produce an IRS compliant log that includes odometer readings etc....
    I'm not familiar with Stride Drive but most of these mileage tracking apps claim to IRS compliant.
    https://quickbooks.intuit.com/r/driver/important-elements-irs-mileage-log/

10. NHDriver

Thank you so much kind Sir! How do you handle Lyft runs where they don't show mileage or addresses?

11. UberTaxPro

Driving:
    UberX
    Doesn't Stride record addresses and miles? Check out these trip sheets used by the taxi industry for 100 years. The IRS accepts these.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=tax...Cr2KfWAhVC6oMKHc9MDUkQsAQIJw&biw=1280&bih=844

Well maybe not all of them! This one is good:
    https://www.google.com/search?q=tax...QsAQIJw&biw=1280&bih=844#imgrc=0pTLODSzNjMaLM:

12. Mears Troll Number 4

Mears Troll Number 4 Well-Known Member

Driving:
    Taxi
    You don't need to, you take start/stop readings off your odometer per (shift).

Trusting uber/lyft to correctly track your miles is... not always accurate.

13. NHDriver

OK but I still need to list each and every trip separately for each day correct? If so, my challenge is Lyft never gives miles or addresses and I did not start recording those individually off my odometer. Uber I can just go back and look at each trip.

14. Older Chauffeur

Older Chauffeur Well-Known Member

Individual trip mileage is not necessary. Odometer reading at the start of each shift, and again at the end , along with the date and purpose (rideshare) should be sufficient. If you work at a regular job in between ridesharing, say a couple of hours before and after your day job, or do personal errands with the app off, then note the odometer readings so those miles aren't claimed for business use.

15. UberTaxPro

Driving:
    UberX
    Most of these mileage apps log location when you stop I believe. I"ve been using Trip Log and I know it does a pretty good job at logging locations. I'm always surprised at the number of personal trips I take every month!