Uber/Lyft forcing ADA dogs, but I'm allergic

Joesmith2012

So we can be deactivated for not taking Assist dogs, but I have strong allergies with dogs ever since I was a child. So is uber going to pay for my $300 epi pen, are they going to reimburse me for the ER bills when I go into anaphylactic shock, my face swells up, hives all over and I can't breath, and then I won't be able to work for a couple days and I can't even get in my car again until it's detail really well which will be another $100. My allergies aren't bad enough I would die from being with an animal in a confined small space like my car, but if someone does die they need to sue Uber/lyft

#professoruber

Sorry, but if you are that allergic, time to quit driving.

To answer your question, Uber is not going to reimburse you for the epi pen or the ER bills or your paid time off. We are not employees. We are independent contractors. Based on this policy, you need to decide if this line of work and it's risks are worth it.

By the way, in almost 7K rides, I have had maybe a handful of animals. I had one service animal. If I was severely allergic and happened to get a dog, I think I could calmly discuss the issue with the rider and they would understand. I believe most drivers are deactivated based on how they handle the situation and are outright rude, short, or confrontational.

I think most people with service dogs would ultimately understand if you let them know that you are severely allergic to dogs and that you will cancel without charging a fee and be apologetic to their situation of trying to get a ride, they will order another ride and move on.

Or you can roll up, see the dog, and drive right on by and then cancel. If you cancel before the 5 minutes, the ride is automatically rolled over to the next driver. From experience, Uber CSR's don't have access to the complete log and it would take additional research to find that you were the initial driver that cancelled. At that point, your stance can be, it was due to personal emergency and you had to cancel the ride.

911 Guy

You do realize people can die right, allergies are no joke, especially small children
I understand that very well as an Ex-FF/EMT. How could this involve allergic small children in an U / L scenario? If you are concerned, explain yourself professionally to the rider and cancel w/o charging. Chances are your rider isn't going to want you at risk either since their lives are in your hands.

BigRedDriver

No I have right too. To earn a honest living and be able to breath, I don't understand why my right to breath and earn a living must be trampled on for someone else, why are you favoring someone else's medical condition over another person
Because you are working, motivated by money. The customer, who you agreed to pick up, is not.

Having said that, I don’t agree with the law, but it is what it is.

xerexabante

Spray your car with dog deterrent they use for
Potty training. I bet you that dog wouldn’t go in your car or use a anti barking device and turn it in when you see the dog.

Should solve your problem. Been doing that for years. You should see the dog owners reaction when the k9 won’t go in. I say sorry your dog doesn’t want to ride.

TheDevilisaParttimer

So we can be deactivated for not taking Assist dogs, but I have strong allergies with dogs ever since I was a child. So is uber going to pay for my $300 epi pen, are they going to reimburse me for the ER bills when I go into anaphylactic shock, my face swells up, hives all over and I can't breath, and then I won't be able to work for a couple days and I can't even get in my car again until it's detail really well which will be another $100. My allergies aren't bad enough I would die from being with an animal in a confined small space like my car, but if someone does die they need to sue Uber/lyft
I’ve only had one rider that needed a service dog for seizures, pax was cool and told me ahead of time. Just tell the rider you risk going into shock at the wheel in a confined place with service animal and you can not complete trip. They probably value their life and get another Uber. If you have any problems with Uber mention FMLA and lawsuit in the same sentence and they will change their tone real quick. Uber is liable on both fronts and kind of stuck between a rock and hard place.

FLKeys

It's a real concern and I wish I had a good answer. What happens if you do the ride and have an accident because you went into anaphylactic shock, who is going to pay the damages.

Stop driving means you are being discriminated against. I agree the laws and policies suck. What really burns is you can have a medical certificate showing the allergy could be deadly and a pax with a dog does not have to have anything other than their word that the dog is a service animal, and trust me visit South Florida and you will see the abuse of the service dog policy by many dog owners.

Joesmith2012

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
There needs to be medical exemptions for those with allergies I would be more than happy to provide a doctors note stating my medical conditions. But my worry is also for those who aren't the drivers. What if a person is driving and takes a ADA dog, then picks up their child from day care. Oh look my kid just stopped breathing in my car I wonder why

Pax Collector

No I have right too. To earn a honest living and be able to breath, I don't understand why my right to breath and earn a living must be trampled on for someone else, why are you favoring someone else's medical condition over another person
I think you should take your case to the Supreme Court.

As far as driving, I firmly believe that you need to cease and desist as you'll be endangering your life with a condition like that.

FLKeys

No different than peanut allergies. I had a lady freak out because I had a can of peanuts in my car to snack on during the night. She saw them yelled at me for having them and cancelled the ride saying she was highly allergic to them. Was I wrong to have them in my car? I say no, but I understand her concerns. Not the same as being forced to take someone with a dog, but still a medical concern.

BigRedDriver

I think you should take your case to the Supreme Court.

As far as driving, I firmly believe that you need to cease and desist as you'll be endangering your life with a condition like that.
As well as the passengers life.

Look, it’s not just rideshare. Nearly everywhere you work will not prohibit ADA dogs.

BigRedDriver

No different than peanut allergies. I had a lady freak out because I had a can of peanuts in my car to snack on during the night. She saw them yelled at me for having them and cancelled the ride saying she was highly allergic to them. Was I wrong to have them in my car? I say no, but I understand her concerns. Not the same as being forced to take someone with a dog, but still a medical concern.
Agreed. It’s a problem that’s hard to come to grips with.

Conflicting rights are always problematic