1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Uber, Lyft Drivers Say They Are Being Abused, Plan Monday Rally At O’Hare

Discussion in 'News' started by Wonkytonk, Sep 15, 2018 at 1:11 PM.

1. Wonkytonk

Wonkytonk Well-Known Member

https://chicago.suntimes.com/busine...-advocates-drivers-wages-pay-cap-ohare-rally/

Uber, Lyft drivers say they are being abused, plan Monday rally at O’Hare

[​IMG]

ByEmily McTavish
    email

As a ride-share driver, Mattia Nanfria said she has been propositioned and even been attacked by riders. What’s more, her wages fluctuate widely — but in bad weeks she earns less than minimum wage.

“The weeks where I’m clearing $10 to $12 an hour, that’s what I lose sleep over,” said Nanfria, 41, of Dunning, who says she has completed 15,000 rides for Lyft and Uber in the past four years.

Her concerns about the working conditions led her to become a co-organizer of Chicago Rideshare Advocates, a group that is trying to unite the thousands of drivers in the city to negotiate better pay and working conditions for the fast-growing profession.

The organization held a demonstration outside City Hall last week — “Uber/Lyft Stop Abusing Workers,” one sign at the protest read — and is headed to the O’Hare Transportation Network Providers’ parking lot from 7-10 p.m. on Monday to rally and connect with more drivers.

Lee239 likes this.
  2. heynow321

heynow321 Well-Known Member

Good for them for trying

Clothahump, mrpjfresh, Tnasty and 3 others like this.
  3. Wonkytonk

My thought as well. When I saw it I couldn't help but think it puts the lie to the oft held belief here that it can't be done.

Really just holding it is a big win.

HotUberMess and Marco Solo like this.
  4. heynow321

heynow321 Well-Known Member

Do other markets have the equivalent of “drive forward” like Seattle does? “Drive forward” is a nonprofit started by the regional manager of the Seattle market a few years ago when the threat of unionization was over their heads.

In typical boober fashion, they lie and claim it’s “independent” of boober which, of course, is complete horse****.

They have 10 to 15 Disgusting people who claim to be drivers Who do nothing but lie in front of the city Council and the media and sing boobers praise. They remind me of hitlers soldiers

5. FormerTaxiDriver♧

FormerTaxiDriver♧ Well-Known Member

Driving:
    Lyft
    My hiney hurts

6. Wonkytonk

You should probably get that checked out, unless, you know...you like it that way.

I don't know, but maybe someone who does will chime in, hopefully without feeling the need to let us know about their ongoing posterior situation.

7. Tnasty

Tnasty Well-Known Member

I think doing it at the airport is really good

HotUberMess and Wonkytonk like this.
  8. Wonkytonk

I'm really hoping this goes well for them. If nothing else it helps put Uber on notice and may get a decent amount of news coverage.

Cumulativly let's hope it all has the effect of forcing driver positive change on Uber and lyft.

HotUberMess likes this.
  9. SEAL Team 5

SEAL Team 5 Well-Known Member

Driving:
    Livery
    How did that rally go?

10. Tnasty

Tnasty Well-Known Member

I made it a point to log in and let the pool jobs timeout all day, but I hope Siberian Brian wont tell his handlers.lol

SibeRescueBrian likes this.
  11. Wonkytonk

I don't know. Hopefully someone from the Chicago Metro area will chime in and let us know. I stream a radio station from Chicago, but missed today's broadcast that airs again early tomorrow morning. If they bring it up I'll pass on what they cover.

SEAL Team 5 likes this.
  12. Wonkytonk

I'm in hour two of the rebroadcast and so far nothing on the rally.