1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Uber/Lyft Collusion to Suppress Driver Wages

Discussion in 'Advocacy' started by Maven, Aug 1, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Maven

Maven Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Is there any evidence to support collusion between Uber, Lyft, and others to suppress driver wages? How suspicious is it that with few exceptions, Lyft matches Uber's pricing structure nationwide? Whenever Uber raises booking fees, Lyft is not far behind.

Uber is known for skirting the edge of the law, delaying adherence to adverse court rulings, not extending local court rulings nationwide, and zealously fighting to keep drivers classified as independent contractors rather than employees. How hard is it to believe in collusion?

There is plenty of evidence of other major companies, more respected than Uber, colluding in the USA. Examples here and there.

What do you think?

2. uberebu

uberebu Well-Known Member

Truth be told...Little financial innovation takes place within the boundaries of law and policy and those enforcing them. It's just outside the boundaries where your actions aren't worth the cost of legal action. However, there comes a point where the powers that be will either push you all the way out or wrangle you back in.

You don't stop when you get the injunction, you run triple shifts and drive it like you stole it until the Sheriff shows up at the door with new law in hand and you...hang the bill on the LLC, and start your next business. Uber was born of such money. Travis was file sharing before Napster

3. uberdriverfornow

uberdriverfornow Well-Known Member

I've been saying they've been colluding for as long as I've been posting here, due mainly to the same reasons you put forth. But there will never be an investigation since Travis is in bed with Trump.

4. day tripper yeah...

day tripper yeah... Active Member

5. I_Like_Spam

I_Like_Spam Well-Known Member

Probably not true.

There is competition between the outfits, and they match each other's prices.

you can that about a lot of areas of commerce

6. Maven

Maven Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    "Skirting the Edge" and "Pushing the boundaries" of the law are characteristic of Uber business practices. So are denial, delay, and limitation of adverse court judgements.
    Yes, TK has had a "colorful" history that became part of the Uber corporate culture, learning the tricks of staying one step ahead of the law,
    On what is your unsupported statement based? I'll give you a hint. It is difficult, but not impossible, to prove collusion in a court room because "Competitive Pricing" is a well-known business practice.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
  7. Safe_Driver_4_U

Safe_Driver_4_U Well-Known Member

it is interesting how Lyft's power zones kill Uber surge!

8. UBERPROcolorado

UBERPROcolorado Active Member

Driving:
    UberX
    What uber and lyft do, as it pertains to pricing, is very normal and not price fixing or manipulation. Gas stations, as one example, don't be same thing.

9. ShinyAndChrome

ShinyAndChrome Well-Known Member

I doubt they are colluding. Uber owns the majority of the market and, rather like with something such as facebook, lyft knows they are going to have to fight tooth and nail for market share. This is not a market that can ultimately withstand two rideshare companies IMO, so lyft is going to have to live or die by the sword.

10. SEAL Team 5

SEAL Team 5 Well-Known Member

Driving:
    Livery
    Collusion? Ha, that's a friggin joke. There was no collusion when UberX cut the rates 50% back in June of '14.
    It's not collusion. It's called persuasion, and very easily at that. UberX drastically cut the rates, threw out a bunch of hype on the media about "making great money" and on boarded a mass amount of ignorant Americans. Where's the colluding in that? If there's any collusion happening it is with the drivers. It seems as if all the drivers conspired together and asked "are we all stupid enough to drive for pennies?" Well the answer is an emphatic YES!!!

crookedhalo and Lowestformofwit like this.
  11. ChortlingCrison

ChortlingCrison Well-Known Member

Abieu agrees

TheSnoozer likes this.
  12. TheSnoozer

TheSnoozer Member

Where is adieu anyways?

13. Friendly Jack

Friendly Jack Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Was Travis in bed with Obama too? Just wondering, because I don't remember any investigations the past eight years either.