UBER / Lyft algorithm

I had a driver tell me that UBER and Lyft use a different algorithm for premium rides. Instead of proximity based they use some variation of a FIFO method. Does anyone know anything about this? It would certainly alter my strategy at times.

Bphelps

I rarely get the request from someone sitting in my car.. rarely. They have to get out and wait 10 min for their rides. Stupid...

UberDez

I've discovered I almost never get request when the person is in my car , but if I move their pick up 50 feet in front of us I always get it . I think they have way to discourage pre arranged rides or street hailing . Next time you have someone in your car trying to request you either instruct them to put their pin in front of you or ask for their phone and do it for them

rickasmith98

It appears to be a combination of several algorithyms. If there isn't enough ride requests for the number of drivers and there are several drivers less than 5 minutes away, whether the rider is in your car or not, they send it to who they want. Maybe one driver has been online a long time that day with very few or no rides so they might get it.

Also factor in, especially on Uber that they like to "throttle" rides to newbies to get them hooked so you have a situation where their claim of sending the request to the closest available driver is down right WRONG. They just need to stop claiming the ride goes to the closest driver or at the very least say, "In most cases, the ride goes to the cloest driver". While I appreciate that they might be trying to spread the demand around given that drivers are approximately in the same vicinity, (less than 5 minutes), don't think it fair to push rides to newbies over vets. How can that make good business sense? Even if a vet might pass on a 15 minutes away trip, it will roll to another driver that will take the trip. If I were doing the business model, would prefer a rider be matched with someone with a proven history of delivering good customer service vs a newbie who is learning the ropes, everything else being equal.

It does seem ridiculous when you have a rider in your car and have them request the ride but instead they get a driver 10 minutes away. One night my coworker texted me and I went to her location. She got in the car and 10 times tried to request and each time got a different rider. We finally gave up.

Archie Nelson

I will try and copy the response I got this morning it seemed the most helpful. But dis not explain why I was at one of my spots this morning. I'm the only uber driver forever. Yet surge of 2.1 pops up. No requests. Then a surge of 3.5 comes up still no requests. Then 5 mins later while we are still surging I get a request 20mins away I don't except. Still sitting in a surging fares for over 30 mins. Before I left the area to finally get a request. Uber of course gives me the typical because it's surging does t mean you will get a trip response which I respond back after several attempts I fi ally got a response that was half way intelligent

mattadams

I have had that happen in Longmont before, but rarely that high. Usually when I'm the only driver around, have no filters on, etc. NO surge, no rides... suddenly, surge... still no rides... surge higher, still no rides... then after a period, surge dies down, still no rides.

Archie Nelson

I have had that happen in Longmont before, but rarely that high. Usually when I'm the only driver around, have no filters on, etc. NO surge, no rides... suddenly, surge... still no rides... surge higher, still no rides... then after a period, surge dies down, still no rides.

Exactly. I didn't have filters on I was just positioning. I WATCHED IT all happen before my eyes. The weirdest thing of all though is before it happened my uber App shut itself off. So I was offline for about a min. Before I noticed it.

Daisey77

I've discovered I almost never get request when the person is in my car , but if I move their pick up 50 feet in front of us I always get it . I think they have way to discourage pre arranged rides or street hailing . Next time you have someone in your car trying to request you either instruct them to put their pin in front of you or ask for their phone and do it for them
That is because the app anticipates where Vehicles will be. They assume vehicles are moving. So when someone is requesting, they won't give it to the car directly beside them or a few feet in front of them because by the time they order, the request goes through, and the driver receives it, the driver will have already "passed them". Does that make sense? So let's say there's a passenger requesting on 20th and Blake. They're not going to give it to a car passing by, even though they are technically the closest because by the time the driver receives the request, he'll already have passed them . So they will give it to a driver on 22nd and Blake. That way, proper time is allotted to get the request out, the driver to accept it, and be able to pull over to pick up the passenger, prior to passing up the passenger. The driver who was next to them, would have technically taken longer to circle around and come back by than the driver who was 2 blocks away. when you're online as a driver and you bring up the passenger app, if you are trying to set the pickup location according to your GPS, you'll notice it always throws you a little bit in front of your actual car

Duber12

That is because the app anticipates where Vehicles will be. They assume vehicles are moving. So when someone is requesting, they won't give it to the car directly beside them or a few feet in front of them because by the time they order, the request goes through, and the driver receives it, the driver will have already "passed them". Does that make sense? So let's say there's a passenger requesting on 20th and Blake. They're not going to give it to a car passing by, even though they are technically the closest because by the time the driver receives the request, he'll already have passed them . So they will give it to a driver on 22nd and Blake. That way, proper time is allotted to get the request out, the driver to accept it, and be able to pull over to pick up the passenger, prior to passing up the passenger. The driver who was next to them, would have technically taken longer to circle around and come back by than the driver who was 2 blocks away.
That makes a lot of sense.

UberDez

That is because the app anticipates where Vehicles will be. They assume vehicles are moving. So when someone is requesting, they won't give it to the car directly beside them or a few feet in front of them because by the time they order, the request goes through, and the driver receives it, the driver will have already "passed them". Does that make sense?

Yes this is the common sense behind it , didn't know people would need it to also have a lovely explanation such as this lol

graphicgenie

That is because the app anticipates where Vehicles will be. They assume vehicles are moving. So when someone is requesting, they won't give it to the car directly beside them or a few feet in front of them because by the time they order, the request goes through, and the driver receives it, the driver will have already "passed them". Does that make sense? So let's say there's a passenger requesting on 20th and Blake. They're not going to give it to a car passing by, even though they are technically the closest because by the time the driver receives the request, he'll already have passed them . So they will give it to a driver on 22nd and Blake. That way, proper time is allotted to get the request out, the driver to accept it, and be able to pull over to pick up the passenger, prior to passing up the passenger. The driver who was next to them, would have technically taken longer to circle around and come back by than the driver who was 2 blocks away. when you're online as a driver and you bring up the passenger app, if you are trying to set the pickup location according to your GPS, you'll notice it always throws you a little bit in front of your actual car

We got a genius here people! Why do i feel so dumb most of the time... ok... ok.... ok i got one.... if you're gonna stage, park on the side of road with fastest posted sign ie 40mph instead of 25mph... example: east colfax > nome st

Last edited:

Duber12

We got a genius here people! Why do i feel so dumb most of the time... ok... ok.... ok i got one.... if you're gonna stage, park on the side of road with fastest posted sign ie 40mph instead of 25mph... example: east colfax > nome st
This board is turning into an unnecessary snark fest. Let's save our energy for helping people on this board to make money and be efficient.

We need that as Uber and Lyft are constantly turning the screws on us. Uber--soon to have no DF's in rush hour...

MichaelMax

I wish they would get a little bit better at it like when they tell me the passenger is two minutes away but unfortunately they sent me the request two seconds too late and I have to go all the way to the next exit and backtrack making the two minutes turn into 12 minutes sometimes

mattadams

There are some things uber can't possibly know. Can't say how often I'll be sitting in traffic, waiting to take a left turn or something, get an uber request, but it'd require me to take a RIGHT turn at that specific intersection or go several minutes out of my way and it's kind of hard to know until you've accepted the ride. They know about where I'm at, but they couldn't possibly know that I was trying to turn left not right. Same thing with missing interstate exits... they make the request based on where you are when the request was made, not where you'll be 20 seconds from there once you accept the ride and it's figured out your route from there.

Archie Nelson

This board is turning into an unnecessary snark fest. Let's save our energy for helping people on this board to make money and be efficient.

We need that as Uber and Lyft are constantly turning the screws on us. Uber--soon to have no DF's in rush hour...

Some of the people on here.. Some of the long time drivers I have noticed in the past week or two are getting very very snarky and rude. MAKES me wonder how many would have the balls to talk to you to your face like that.

There are some things uber can't possibly know. Can't say how often I'll be sitting in traffic, waiting to take a left turn or something, get an uber request, but it'd require me to take a RIGHT turn at that specific intersection or go several minutes out of my way and it's kind of hard to know until you've accepted the ride. They know about where I'm at, but they couldn't possibly know that I was trying to turn left not right. Same thing with missing interstate exits... they make the request based on where you are when the request was made, not where you'll be 20 seconds from there once you accept the ride and it's figured out your route from there.

Good ole GPS lol