• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Uber loves to make it harder on pax sometimes

Mista T

Author
There is a place in my city where it is extremely challenging to cross the street... as in, 45 mph, 6 lanes of traffic, and a big concrete barrier blocking u-turns. No intersection.

On one side of the barrier is a light rail station, lots of passengers.

On the other side is a strip bar and a dispensary, also lots of passengers.

Uber, in their infinite wisdom, loves to hide the name of the place on pickups. So instead I get something like "1200-1249 Main st" and I am left to guess which side of the road it is on. If I guess wrong, it will have to travel roughly .6 miles to go across the street.

I get a lot of cancel fees from this spot. You would think that Uber and Lyft would figure it out by now, sometimes you need to show the driver where the pickup is to take place.

Notch Johnson

It is based on where the pax dropped the pin. You can tell which side of the street it is by looking at the numbers in the range they provide, even numbers will be one side, odd the other.

Uber Crack

Author
I have had this exact same issue Mr T and discussed it before.
I get a range address and it makes me nuts. Once I asked pax, "please enter your exact address in writing in the space provided". He said, "I did that".
Then he showed me because I didn't believe him. It's not always the pin drop issue. I don't know why it happens that we get different info from what pax enters. :rolleyes:

Jufkii

There is a place in my city where it is extremely challenging to cross the street... as in, 45 mph, 6 lanes of traffic, and a big concrete barrier blocking u-turns. No intersection.

Uber, in their infinite wisdom, loves to hide the name of the place on pickups. So instead I get something like "1200-1249 Main st" and I am left to guess which side of the road it is on. If I guess wrong, it will have to travel roughly .6 miles to go across the street.

I get a lot of cancel fees from this spot. You would think that Uber and Lyft would figure it out by now, sometimes you need to show the driver where the pickup is to take place.
At least you get a lot of cancellation fee's out of those situations. I mostly seem to get "One of your riders suggested your pickup location could of been better" bot emails instead. Need to step up my cancellation game.

Mista T

Author
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
It is based on where the pax dropped the pin. You can tell which side of the street it is by looking at the numbers in the range they provide, even numbers will be one side, odd the other.
Agreed. But... when Uber adjusts the correct address to a range, they may change the side of the street on me.

SoFlaDriver

I had a pickup the other day to "1801-1899" on whatever street it was. That's an entire block! Fortunately the pax was at 1801. I mentioned the oddity to him and he said he noticed it too, but since he lives at 1801, figured it didn't matter.

Another time Lyft sent me to just a street. No building number at all. Just the name of the street. It turned out to about 12 blocks long. I called the pax and she told me the number but I couldn't find it. It turned out to be one of those streets that ends and then picks up somewhere else. I gave up and cancelled.

UberBeemer

I suggest you text or call and ask where they are.

Julescase

I think OP is saying that the pickup address provided by Uber (1200-1249 Main St) actually prohibits him from being able to tell whether it's the odd or even side of the street, since it begins with an even number and ends in an odd number.

Different issue, but I can't deal with idiot pax who enter an even-numbered address for pickup, so I maneuver the car before arriving to make sure I pull up to them on the even numbered side of the street, only to have them call me from across the street (ie the odd numbered side) and say to me as we look at each other and speak on the phone "We're over here - you're on the wrong side of the street!" I've actually cancelled trips and just driven away when this has occurred. I'll shake my head and say "no, YOU are on the wrong side, either that or you entered the wrong address. That's why I'm over here - on the side you said you wanted to be picked up on. Buh-Bye!"

Los Angeles has made it so very simple for drivers: even numbered addresses are either the south side or the east side of streets. Odd numbers are north or west sides of streets. So when a pax can't do their part and simply figure out where they are standing (??!!), well, I really don't want anyone with that low of an IQ in my car with me.

jazzapt

I have had this exact same issue Mr T and discussed it before.
I get a range address and it makes me nuts. Once I asked pax, "please enter your exact address in writing in the space provided". He said, "I did that".
Then he showed me because I didn't believe him. It's not always the pin drop issue. I don't know why it happens that we get different info from what pax enters. :rolleyes:
On three separate occasions just this week I had the wrong address show up in the Uber app, and it wasn't pax fault. On each occasion, pax told me they have their home address saved in the app and they just select they want to be picked up from home. On of them even showed me. But the address that shows up in Uber is different.

I had an apartment complex where the guy's home was #4 but Uber sent me to #3 (around the corner, so he had to drag his bags to find me).

Another at an apartment building whose number is 175. But Uber sent me to 185 which is on the opposite side of the building.

And another couple who live on the corner of Pearl and Perry st. Their address is 213 Perry but Uber had the pickup at 260 Pearl street. Across the street and 3 houses down from the corner where they live.

Drives me nuts.