Uber loses license to operate in London

Dutchie

Attachments

• IMG_6474.JPG
    IMG_6474.JPG
    102.2 KB · Views: 46

Jaackil

This is exactly why we fought a war to get away from their stupidity. Do you realize that to drive a cab in London you have to be tested and prove you have every street memorized as well as all routes. So they get asked questions like "You have a rider going from 4 Whitehall place to 221B Baker St There is severe traffic on the east side and a fire closing off streets on the west side what is the quickest route street by street and how long will it take you. ". While this knowledge is impressive there is a new invention called GPS that will do all of that for you! They are just trying to protect their black cabs.

ubermaster5000

Unless London is doing this to make room for and implement it's own rideshare service, this is one huge step back for innovation. Also there will enough riders and drivers that will be pissed off because of this that I am sure London is going to have to reconsider.

bostonwolf

You realize the U.S. is turning back into the U.K. more and more everyday right?
In what ways?

Unless London is doing this to make room for and implement it's own rideshare service, this is one huge step back for innovation. Also there will enough riders and drivers that will be pissed off because of this that I am sure London is going to have to reconsider.
They are far less concerned with innovation than they are with protecting the taxi union (Labour runs London)

Bostonken

This is exactly why we fought a war to get away from their stupidity. Do you realize that to drive a cab in London you have to be tested and prove you have every street memorized as well as all routes. So they get asked questions like "You have a rider going from 4 Whitehall place to 221B Baker St There is severe traffic on the east side and a fire closing off streets on the west side what is the quickest route street by street and how long will it take you. ". While this knowledge is impressive there is a new invention called GPS that will do all of that for you! They are just trying to protect their black cabs.
What is wrong with that. Black cab is expensive but you always get preffesional efficient ride. Do you want to have confused lost Joe Sixpack giving ride.
Great let's have hundred thousand uber cab drivers in every major city.

Jaackil

What is wrong with that. Black cab is expensive but you always get preffesional efficient ride. Do you want to have confused lost Joe Sixpack giving ride.
Because it is 2017 not 1917 technology can do the same thing with out the need for a driver to go to school for 3 years to learn all the streets in the city. It's not about being a professional driver. Being proffesional and using technology are not mutually exclusive.

NHDriver

This isn't about anything the article claims. They wanted Uber to renew with $3 million and Uber refused to pay that much. Uber will appeal and then pay and will continue to operate.

Jc.

If a cab is too expensive, then you can always use the bus.
The problem with uber is that they want to replace public transportation at drivers expenses...

Bostonken

Because it is 2017 not 1917 technology can do the same thing with out the need for a driver to go to school for 3 years to learn all the streets in the city. It's not about being a professional driver. Being proffesional and using technology are not mutually exclusive.
I understand technology but uber exploiting drivers. You see here in Boston when they take almost 50 percent and pay drivers lousy regular rate. Thousand of drivers. I guess it is good for consumer but you as driver end up with lousy gig which barely make minimum wage.

Jaackil

I understand technology but uber exploiting drivers. You see here in Boston when they take almost 50 percent and pay drivers lousy regular rate. Thousand of drivers. I guess it is good for consumer but you as driver end up with lousy gig which barely make minimum wage.
Hey I agree with your point about Uber taking 50% at times. But you have this backwards. Who is really being exploited? The driver is still paid a flat rate based on miles and time and if you don't like that you don't have to drive so it really is not exploiting the driver. It's the pax that are being over charged how is that good for the consumer? Drivers get paid the same regardless Pax pay based on demand. Who is really being exploited?

Jc.

Hey I agree with your point about Uber taking 50% at times. But you have this backwards. Who is really being exploited? The driver is still paid a flat rate based on miles and time and if you don't like that you don't have to drive so it really is not exploiting the driver. It's the pax that are being over charged how is that good for the consumer? Drivers get paid the same regardless Pax pay based on demand. Who is really being exploited?
Likewise if pax don't like the price they don't have to use ewwber.

Uber is exploiting both ends of its business

Jaackil

Likewise if pax don't like the price they don't have to use ewwber.

Uber is exploiting both ends of its business
Not really because Pax do not know what the rate variance is. There are no posted rates for Pax. Get into any cab and you will see the Meter rates posted. Pax have no idea. The rider from Boise Idaho who pays $15 to go from Seaport to Quincy Market has no idea whether that is the normal fare in Boston or a higher rate because demand is high. Drivers know what their base rate is. We are aware of what we are being paid per mile and per minute. I don't neccesarily like that I am not getting a piece of Uber's higher fares but it is transparent to the driver.

Bostonken

You made my point. So both drivers and consumer being taken advantage by uber. Why drivers? Because sooooo easy to be driver. Take 5 minute to fill online form, 24 to 48 hour wait for background and boom you on the road. It create illusion that you making money because the gig is very convenient.
If you smart enough and have good full time job then realize this gig is not worth it but if you are guy between jobs don't have very good credit, have part time job or lousy full time job, or on disability or welfare make it some how ideal gig. However after 5 years of doing rideshare you are still uber cab driver with no advancement, retirement, and you maybe making less money than 5 years ago. It is your life. The choice is clear and written in a wall but you are so in love with convenient of gig can't see the writing.

bostonwolf

EXACTLY

Jaackil

You made my point. So both drivers and consumer being taken advantage by uber. Why drivers? Because sooooo easy to be driver. Take 5 minute to fill online form, 24 to 48 hour wait for background and boom you on the road. It create illusion that you making money because the gig is very convenient.
If you smart enough and have good full time job then realize this gig is not worth it but if you are guy between jobs don't have very good credit, have part time job or lousy full time job, or on disability or welfare make it some how ideal gig. However after 5 years of doing rideshare you are still uber cab driver with no advancement, retirement, and you maybe making less money than 5 years ago. It is your life. The choice is clear and written in a wall but you are so in love with convenient of gig can't see the writing.
Ok so you don't think Uber is a good gig don't drive(I don't mean you personally I am talking in general). The entry is not simple you still have to have a vehicle and a clean driving record. On the other hand if you own a vehicle and a clean driving record you can make decent money with little skill or required training. There are plenty of drivers making $30 an hour or better net. Like any job it requires hard work but it can be done. If you are a laborer on a construction crew making $25 an hour working for someone you have to have your own tools and in many cases your own vehicle. The company he is working for is charging him out at $50 an hour or more. Those guys bust their ass compared to us. My wife is an RN she makes a ton more than $30 an hour she works very hard but also has a ton of education which cost a lot of money. Recently there was a post by an EMT who is doing this part time. Those guys make a little over minimum wage and work much harder than Rideshare drivers do. We complain about people puking in our car they have people puking on them! Bar tenders can make really good money on good shifts but not every shift is a $300 take. They have to take slow shifts along with the busy ones. The ones I know doing it full time make about the same as a good Rideshare driver. If a driver is not making decent money driving why do it? All and all I would say ride share driving can be a pretty good gig given what you have to put in. Are you going to get rich? No definately not. Exploited? No I can't agree that drivers are exploited.

TheAntMiami

Ok so you don't think Uber is a good gig don't drive(I don't mean you personally I am talking in general). The entry is not simple you still have to have a vehicle and a clean driving record. On the other hand if you own a vehicle and a clean driving record you can make decent money with little skill or required training. There are plenty of drivers making $30 an hour or better net. Like any job it requires hard work but it can be done. If you are a laborer on a construction crew making $25 an hour working for someone you have to have your own tools and in many cases your own vehicle. The company he is working for is charging him out at $50 an hour or more. Those guys bust their ass compared to us. My wife is an RN she makes a ton more than $30 an hour she works very hard but also has a ton of education which cost a lot of money. Recently there was a post by an EMT who is doing this part time. Those guys make a little over minimum wage and work much harder than Rideshare drivers do. We complain about people puking in our car they have people puking on them! Bar tenders can make really good money on good shifts but not every shift is a $300 take. They have to take slow shifts along with the busy ones. The ones I know doing it full time make about the same as a good Rideshare driver. If a driver is not making decent money driving why do it? All and all I would say ride share driving can be a pretty good gig given what you have to put in. Are you going to get rich? No definately not. Exploited? No I can't agree that drivers are exploited.
You have direct knowledge of drivers making $20-$30 per hour after taxes/expenses/commission; on a regular basis.....the jobs you mentioned, I agree are much tougher, but the pay rate is guaranteed and with hard work, promotion, bonus, etc. there is a possibility to move up. With Uber, after hard work and lots of hours, the only guarantee is you'll need $30,000 for a new car after 2-5 years...