• IMG_7393.PNG
    IMG_7393.PNG
    42.1 KB · Views: 140

Hugh G

Not bad for a rickshaw

Uber begins trial version of ride-hailing app in Kingdom
Fri, 23 June 2017
Matthieu de Gaudemar

http://www.phnompenhpost.com/business/uber-begins-trial-version-ride-hailing-app-kingdom

Uber, the world’s biggest ride-hailing service, has launched a “test-mode” version of its smartphone application in Phnom Penh, bringing it a step closer to becoming the first international heavyweight to officially operate a ride-hailing service in the Kingdom.

A Post reporter booked and completed a ride in the capital using the Uber app yesterday, though the service appears currently only to be accessible to riders through a promotional code provided by the company, with trips provided free during the trial phase.

According to the receipt from the free trip, Uber charges a base fare of $1, with further charges levied according to the distance and duration of the trip. At the end of the trip, riders have the choice to pay the fare digitally from a bank account connected to the app, or in cash – a feature that Uber has made available in other cash-dominated markets.

US-based Uber operates ride-hailing services in over 570 cities worldwide, pairing passengers and drivers using the company’s smartphone app.

A driver, who spoke to The Post, said he had only picked up one rider through the Uber application as of yesterday, though the company had only confirmed his status as a registered Uber driver the day before.

The driver, whose sedan carried the markings of a local private taxi fleet, said he works for a taxi company and earns extra income as an independent contractor for various ride-hailing services, including Uber and Cambodian-owned Exnet Taxi.

Uber, which registered a local subsidiary in Cambodia in May, declined to comment on its activity in the Kingdom. However, the effort represents the company’s latest foray in Southeast Asia after the ride-hailing giant established operations in Myanmar earlier this year.

The company faces increased competition in the region from rival ride-hailing services, including Singapore-based Grab and Indonesia’s Go-Jek.

Uber representatives met with Transport Minister Sun Chanthol and municipal officials last April to discuss the company’s business model and local regulations, according to state officials.

Cambodia, like much of the world, does not have a specific law for ride-hailing platforms.

Uber RICKSHAW.jpg

Cornuto

Been coming here for years. The Tuk's Tuk's monopoly is over. The tourists and locals alike are growing tired of their inflated prices, shoddy service and craply maintained vehicles.
Sounds familiar...
The passapp I have been using, pretty much is similar to uber , offering 3 levels of class. Now even has a direct credit card payment.
In the year that has passed since using the app, am noticing more and more of the little yellow Tuk's , wait times have come down.
After my mishap the other evening with a regular tuk tuk, ain't no way I'm going back

Still not bad!!! $2 or so per hour is incredibly huge money over there. Many make only $2 per day.
While still true in parts, the gentrification of Phnom Penh is full steam. A developing middle class is emerging, while the affluent clearly boast their $$$.
It's no longer the Wild West , which is some ways is a shame.

Homebrand Taxi

The people of Hun Sen's kleptocratic dictatorship deserve much better than what they have. They were promised democracy and have ended up with a state where a mad dictator is the new Brother No. 1.

Cornuto

The people of Hun Sen's kleptocratic dictatorship deserve much better than what they have. They were promised democracy and have ended up with a state where a mad dictator is the new Brother No. 1.
Agreed
The next year... to be honest I'm fearful.
Im here for 3 months, a lovely Khmer partner and new addition to my brood in 6 weeks. It scares me, whether there is change or the current regime stays... either way there will be chaos

Homebrand Taxi

Correct. That "one-eyed bastard" (as Sihanouk once called him) will cling to power until the day he has one Botox injection too many. In an interview I have that he gave in 1987, he said he didn't want to be Prime Minister. He would prefer to be a simple farmer growing a little rice and raising fish by the Mekong. Then he realised he could just steal everyone else's fish and rice (and money and gold and land and Human Rights) instead. Hope that goes well for you and your partner. If it goes to guacamole, make sure you catch a Grab to the border (don't get an Uber: 5X surge once the gunfire starts).

Cornuto

Correct. That "one-eyed bastard" (as Sihanouk once called him) will cling to power until the day he has one Botox injection too many. In an interview I have that he gave in 1987, he said he didn't want to be Prime Minister. He would prefer to be a simple farmer growing a little rice and raising fish by the Mekong. Then he realised he could just steal everyone else's fish and rice (and money and gold and land and Human Rights) instead. Hope that goes well for you and your partner. If it goes to guacamole, make sure you catch a Grab to the border (don't get an Uber: 5X surge once the gunfire starts).
It's a situation that right now is a slow burn.. eliminating his opposition through killing or imprisoning them.
Up until the election, it will continue.
These beautiful people have suffered enough.
And our esteemed government thinks well and good to send refugees here. Go figure

Homebrand Taxi

Yep. Just as Queen Elizabeth invited Ceausescu to stay at Buckingham Palace so our government reckons people seeking asylum or refuge are better off under South East Asia's own version of that deranged Romanian dictator.