• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Uber keeping most of the surge $

Anyone else notice that Uber is charging the passengers a lot more for the surge but only giving us the minimum surge amount. I’ve been watching this a lot lately and I have many screenshots to prove it (I’ll post some later). This happens on both short and long trips. Of course they take a lot more on the long runs but I still only get the minimum. I thought we were supposed to get the whole surge amount and Uber takes their normal percentage.

nosurgenodrive

The way around this is to get the sticky surge and set your destination filter as the surge disappears. I had a very long ride from Shawn Mendes last night and Uber only got $7.50 from the whole fare because the surge died but I still had the sticky surge on me.

Overall, Uber needs to work on their surge build up. During a busy event, it takes 5-10 minutes for the surge to build up, even though everyone is outside the event with their phones out. The surge needs to anticipate the event. As a driver, I have to go often a mile away from the actual surge to get the most sticky value, sit there, wait for the surge to build up (as half of the pax have already found cheaper rides), turn my app on and then go get what's left of the pax with a $9 sticky surge.

The whole process is counter intuitive and should be fixed.
Post automatically merged:

Attachments

Last edited:

doyousensehumor

You mean more than usual? Everywhere you look uber is screwing over the drivers. I admit, I stopped keeping track. Just focusing on myself. Mario cart whenever possible, but often thats not worth it as sometimes you dont get any pings for a half hour after hetting sticky surge..

.......... I thought we were supposed to get the whole surge amount and Uber takes their normal percentage.
There are no rules regarding what Uber has to do with surge. Although I amazingly got an $8 share adjustment a few days ago. Screenshot is here somewhere.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
There are no rules regarding what Uber has to do with surge. Although I amazingly got an $8 share adjustment a few days ago. Screenshot is here somewhere.
You got an $8 surge but they probably charged the passenger a lot more, maybe $20. So they kept another $12 that you should have gotten

Here is one example. Uber should have only taken $6.30 that 28% because it was comfort run. They took almost $10 more.
B764A0B8-473D-4FC9-A35B-1080962EE6FB.jpeg
B764A0B8-473D-4FC9-A35B-1080962EE6FB.jpeg

Last edited:
You got an $8 surge but they probably charged the passenger a lot more, maybe $20. So they kept another $12 that you should have gotten

Here is one example. Uber should have only taken $6.30 that 28% because it was comfort run. They took almost $10 more.
View attachment 335019View attachment 335019
You don't get a percentage of anything. You get your agreed upon mileage/ time rate + whatever surge amount is shown. So if Uber charges a $20 surge, but you only offered you $3.50 surge and you accepted the ping... you agreed to the $3.50 surge and your standard mileage/ time rate.

The days of splitting the fare were over when they instituted up front pricing.

And YOU agreed to it when the new TOS appeared when you logged in after that. Or you wouldn't be driving.

All these percentage posts are starting to aggravate me. You guys don't understand the compensation plan, but then whine about it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
The other day I took a trip to casa grande the surge from the airport was $6.50. When I dropped them off I got like double the mileage not just the $6.50 minimum surge. It showed a larger amount for the surge I got paid

I actually got 5.50 in surge, then the extra $8. Pax paid 46, I got 29. I was shocked that they kicked in any extra because We all know they don't have to pay us anything more than base per mile and minute rates! It's the current ride share reality.

Uberfenix

Uber shares some profit from time to time in surge trips that are lengthy, Lyft does that as well but it's more rare, like when you're on a personal power zone of $20 extra, very obscure and a***hole way of doing stuff

BlackBeast

The other day I took a trip to casa grande the surge from the airport was $6.50. When I dropped them off I got like double the mileage not just the $6.50 minimum surge. It showed a larger amount for the surge I got paid
Thats called the conversion. Uber doesnt show us the details which trigger the flat rate surge aka token surge to turn into the converison.

Ajaywill

I've posted this before, but it is the best speculation I've heard and makes the most sense.....

If the rider pays the surge price under the old multiplier system, which is still used to calculate rider fares, and the trip is long enough that the surge under the old multiplier would be more than the sticky surge amount, the driver will get the multiplier surge amount. It's a crapshoot everytime you accept a surge ride.

BlackBeast

I've posted this before, but it is the best speculation I've heard and makes the most sense.....

If the rider pays the surge price under the old multiplier system, which is still used to calculate rider fares, and the trip is long enough that the surge under the old multiplier would be more than the sticky surge amount, the driver will get the multiplier surge amount. It's a crapshoot everytime you accept a surge ride.
craps uber style