• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Uber is vulnerable to charges of lying to pax by claiming surge pricing is needed to entice more drivers

Nats121

As you can see, despite the decimation and even absence of surge pay for drivers, uber is LYING to the pax by telling them that higher fares during "busy periods" attracts more drivers to the area.

This is FALSE ADVERTISING.

While charging pax "high demand" fares, in many and probably most cases, uber pays the drivers little to no surge pay.

Uber is vulnerable to charges of false advertising and possibly fraud.

The media and the govt should be told about this.

Last edited:

BenerD

Now i have a question.When I have rides with surge pricing there are two types of fares that I don’t understand.
For example if it’s $6 surge;
I can get only $6 extra sometimes I get $16-$18 extra.
It shows $18 surge and there is a explanation under it states $6 is included we want to make sure you get big percentages of surge price.
I didn’t able to figure out how it’s been some surge prices are higher then what uber shows in the screen.
That fits with what you are saying but they are also paying that extra in some of those rides.
In a Thursday night it was surge price for downtown Orlando for 4-5 hours straight without any cut
Every ride that I picked paid extra
(I only except xl and select) I made about $175 in 4 hours with $70-$80 extra surge.
The other days if I have 4 surge rides one of them pays extra.
Do you guys have any knowledge about how it calculates
Thanks
Ben
Post automatically merged:

Here is an example

Attachments

jlong105

Now i have a question.When I have rides with surge pricing there are two types of fares that I don’t understand.
It shows $18 surge and there is a explanation under it states $6 is included we want to make sure you get big percentages of surge price.
I didn’t able to figure out how it’s been some surge prices are higher then what uber shows in the screen.
That fits with what you are saying but they are also paying that extra in some of those rides.
In a Thursday night it was surge price for downtown Orlando for 4-5 hours straight without any cut
(I only except xl and select) I made about $175 in 4 hours with $70-$80 extra surge.
Thanks
Ben

Here is an example
Basically, when Uber thinks you will complain about being paid less than 50% they add more in so that you make 50%. There is no rhyme or reason beyond that. You cannot predict it nor expect it because they only said you would make the $6.

Nats121

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks
Ben

Here is an example
Post screenshots of what the riders paid.

You drive XL, which has higher rates than X.

Uber makes the decision on whether or not to pay "extra" on those surges, and most of the time they don't.

Ssgcraig

Thanks
Ben

Here is an example
I noticed something similar on Saturday night in NH. I accepted an XL ping, $3.50 surge. When I looked later at the fare, I got $9.27 surge with some weird explanation of making sure I got the bigger percentage.

Nats121

I noticed something similar on Saturday night in NH. I accepted an XL ping, $3.50 surge. When I looked later at the fare, I got $9.27 surge with some weird explanation of making sure I got the bigger percentage.
How much did uber receive for that ride?

When uber took away surge multipliers, they threw a bone to the drivers by saying if the surge rides went long distances, they "might" add to the original payout.

Drivers get screwed on the vast majority of "surge rides".

Ssgcraig

How much did uber receive for that ride?

When uber took away surge multipliers, they threw a bone to the drivers by saying if the surge rides went long distances, they "might" add to the original payout.

Drivers get screwed on the vast majority of "surge rides".
First time I have seen this. Could be because I was in NH too. Uber charged $30.12 and took $3.71. I stopped at McDonalds so the 3.12 mile ride took 38 minutes at 1AM. Got $40 in cash for stopping, 4 hot ladies from a bachelorette party and they were pretty cool.

BenerD

I usually work at night hours
When there is a surge I always double check the rider app.
From downtown Orlando to Championsgate
About 31miles
With $9 surge rider rate $145
With $6-7 surge rider rate $115
With 3.75 surge rider rate $75
When the surge is over rate is $45-48
That can actually shows how much they can charge as a idea

WindyCityAnt

Uber on fellow ants. All markets are different. Just remember that. A 6$ surge here is large for us most of the time. I can’t apeak about any other market.

Amos69

Thanks
Ben

Here is an example
When Flat Rate Surge is fresh or active then it can multiply if the ride is longer. If the Passenger is paying more then you are eligible to see some multiplier. When surge is waning, or when you drive through surge and carry it with you to a non surge area then you get paid the $6 but the Passenger does not pay it. Often times on short rides Goober loses money on this type of ride. There is no multiplier in these situations

Atom guy

As you can see, despite the decimation and even absence of surge pay for drivers, uber is LYING to the pax by telling them that higher fares during "busy periods" attracts more drivers to the area.

While charging pax "high demand" fares, in many and probably most cases, uber pays the drivers little to no surge pay.

It's amazing. Uber took a simple logical and fair pricing system and needlessly complicated it with gimmicks in order to shave a little bit more from both drivers and passengers. In doing so they inadvertently turned drivers into employees and defrauded passengers.

No Prisoners

Price gouging of riders on backs of drivers. A federal investigation is required.

nosurgenodrive

They aren't lying. I only drive when it is surging, especially for drunks.

Reason #55 on why I quit rideshare
Yet still post on rideshare boards. What an interesting life you must lead.

I usually work at night hours
When there is a surge I always double check the rider app.
From downtown Orlando to Championsgate
About 31miles
With $9 surge rider rate $145
With $6-7 surge rider rate $115
With 3.75 surge rider rate $75
When the surge is over rate is $45-48
That can actually shows how much they can charge as a idea
In hot surge zones on long rides, my flat rate surge is almost always adjusted to my benefit.

Solid 5

They aren't lying. I only drive when it is surging, especially for drunks.

Yet still post on rideshare boards. What an interesting life you must lead.

In hot surge zones on long rides, my flat rate surge is almost always adjusted to my benefit.
Actually troll, I still do delivery, 6 days a week, and make almost twice as much on a good week as I did driving rideshare. I haven't had a pax in my car since February 20th. Sushi never asks for an aux cord. Pizzas never ask to turn the radio down. Jersey Mike's subs never says "hurry up I'm late to work".

SuzeCB

No lie. They say it's to attract drivers... not that they're using it to PAY drivers!

Silly wabbit!

Nats121

No lie. They say it's to attract drivers... not that they're using it to PAY drivers!

Silly wabbit!
Attract drivers with what?

You and Uber can try to parse words all you want, but they're deliberately creating a false impression that drivers are not only being paid extra, the amount they're being paid is enough to get them driving.

It's false advertising, and if it gets to court they'll lose because BOTH drivers and customers are affected by this scam.

SuzeCB

Attract drivers with what?

You and Uber can try to parse words all you want, but they're deliberately creating a false impression that drivers are not only being paid extra, the amount they're being paid is enough to get them driving.

It's false advertising, and if it gets to court they'll lose because BOTH drivers and customers are affected by this scam.
Oh, I'm sorry. I forgot not everyone here speaks sarcasm.

Let me explain it to you. I was not parsing words. I was pointing out how Uber would defend themselves, if necessary, and how a judge would agree with them.

Did they intend to have the pax think a particular way? Yes. Was it a way contrary to what was actually happening? Yes. Did they actually LIE? No. They let the fact that people read into things what they want to believe work its magic. Same way they do with Guarantee promos.

It's kind of like "puffing" in ads selling something like a used car. "Real beauty!" "Great condition!" "Runs great!"

The only reason such a suit would get anywhere would be because Uber would do what Uber always does: settle out of court. In this case, not even because they would fear losing, but because other things would become public knowledge.

There is, I truly believe, a better way. Search for my posts that contain "FTC" in the text, if you're interested. It involves using information Uber has already submitted to the government and swore to be true under penalty of perjury law (meaning possible jail time for any and all involved).