heyfrankie

Hey guy's just want you to know i'm in long island been driving for uber for about a month and I think we all need to get together and file a class action lawsuit against uber,me and my friend signed up at the same time and we both noticed that uber randomly takes out anywhere from 35-65% and their fares do not add up the same all the time we both had a fare for about 9 dollars where i received 4.73 and he only got 3.66 and they both had the exact amount of charge so i'm guessing they take what they see fit and not only that I noticed some of my fares were not even there i have been paying very close attention to everything and notice they are making some big mistakes and I think this guy is getting rich off our hard work this guy creates an app and sit's back and collects 35-65% for basicly doing nothing.I want to know if anyone else has noticed that each trip is different and the percentage varies which I find very disturbing because I know they are ripping us off and think none of us are paying close enough attention just like I had to fight tooth and nail over 10 day's to get paid for the 3 fares they missed that seemed to disappear after the shift I only noticed because it was to nyc and only got paid 31 dollars for 3 hours of driving because the traffic was so bad but at the end of the night i noticed the trip was gone.I recamend you keep very close attention to each and every ride because I think it's another way uber scams us out of money think about it if they can randomly make a trip disappear that was 10-50 dollars times that by the 100,000 uber driver's and see what he will make on that.

HarveyLB

Hey guy's just want you to know i'm in long island been driving for uber for about a month and I think we all need to get together and file a class action lawsuit against uber,me and my friend signed up at the same time and we both noticed that uber randomly takes out anywhere from 35-65% and their fares do not add up the same all the time we both had a fare for about 9 dollars where i received 4.73 and he only got 3.66 and they both had the exact amount of charge so i'm guessing they take what they see fit and not only that I noticed some of my fares were not even there i have been paying very close attention to everything and notice they are making some big mistakes and I think this guy is getting rich off our hard work this guy creates an app and sit's back and collects 35-65% for basicly doing nothing.I want to know if anyone else has noticed that each trip is different and the percentage varies which I find very disturbing because I know they are ripping us off and think none of us are paying close enough attention just like I had to fight tooth and nail over 10 day's to get paid for the 3 fares they missed that seemed to disappear after the shift I only noticed because it was to nyc and only got paid 31 dollars for 3 hours of driving because the traffic was so bad but at the end of the night i noticed the trip was gone.I recamend you keep very close attention to each and every ride because I think it's another way uber scams us out of money think about it if they can randomly make a trip disappear that was 10-50 dollars times that by the 100,000 uber driver's and see what he will make on that.
True Dat!

Spock B

What you are seeing is Uber's latest scam. Upfront pricing. Uber quotes a pax an amount based on their calculation for the trip. If you have a more efficient route or do it quicker Uber pockets the difference between the actual and quoted price as an additional amount in their service fee and you just make whatever the time/distance rate for the trip. Since most drivers want to make as much as possible in the shortest amount of time this works in favor of Uber in the majority of cases. Since the pax never sees anything but the total amount they are not aware of the time/distance calcs and therefore don't know they are being screwed. This is also why you are not seeing anymore monthly 1099 statements since the gross earnings would reflect the additional amount charged to riders. So we are being screwed as well with higher reported grosses.

Yes there is a lawsuit which has been filed in Los Angeles regarding this. But what else is new there.

Uberfunitis

How does those higher reported grosses hurt us? All we do is deduct all the BS that Uber is taking in service fees etc.

disp350

And dont forget, before you went on line, you had to agree to Ubers Terms of Service. They suck, but to drive, you have to agree.

Spock B

How does those higher reported grosses hurt us? All we do is deduct all the BS that Uber is taking in service fees etc.

Considering that Uber has gone to a lot of trouble in no longer providing monthly 1099's, only displaying net figures, made it impossible to download or even print fare information, has upped their booking fees considerably while raising mileage fees by miniscule amounts, is now charging riders differently to what it actually pays drivers and finally is considering bringing in route based pricing which no doubt will also not be passed on to drivers. Do you honestly believe that they will accurately report the income they are receiving when it is now almost impossible to verify the information they provide? They will understate as much income as they can for themselves while showing more income from drivers. Even if your only income is from driving the provisional taxes you become responsible for will rise due to higher stated gross income. The onus will be on you to demonstrate your deductions yet how can you do this properly when not given sufficient resources or information to do so.

Let me be clear. If Uber has not made it clear to riders that they may be paying more from upfront pricing or even know that what is quoted is not necessarily what the trip costs in their stated mileage and time rates then why would they tell drivers the truth? From what I have gathered from riders they do not even know this exists or that they have a choice (if they really do).

In my market as an example the minimum fare is $4. From this I make $3 yet the minimum service fee I have seen Uber charge is $1.02 and not the $1 which would be 25%. On top of their now $2.30 booking fee Uber makes $3.32, that is, 32 cents more per trip than what I make. Also added to this they charge the rider a 50 cent city fee. What is this extra 2 cents? Uber flat out won't tell me. Doesn't sound like much but when talking of thousands of trips per day, it all adds up. Is the total $3.82 deducted in the "Uber Fees" on the 1099. There is absolutely no way of verifying this and Uber has categorically stated in its agreement that (a) the contract is between the rider and driver (does not involve them) and (b) the driver pays the fee to Uber (not that Uber is taking whatever they want). This gives Uber the perfect out for them in stating what they make. Don't get me started on tipping where I have also found discrepancies in what is being shown.

Uber has clearly and continuously demonstrated its lack of ethical standards in its dealings with both drivers and riders alike as well as in the recent resignations of both the CEO and President under clouds of accusations. They have also been subject to continual lawsuits regarding their practices. If you trust Uber then you are the most naive person on the planet.

Uberfunitis

Considering that Uber has gone to a lot of trouble in no longer providing monthly 1099's, only displaying net figures, made it impossible to download or even print fare information, has upped their booking fees considerably while raising mileage fees by miniscule amounts, is now charging riders differently to what it actually pays drivers and finally is considering bringing in route based pricing which no doubt will also not be passed on to drivers. Do you honestly believe that they will accurately report the income they are receiving when it is now almost impossible to verify the information they provide? They will understate as much income as they can for themselves while showing more income from drivers. Even if your only income is from driving the provisional taxes you become responsible for will rise due to higher stated gross income. The onus will be on you to demonstrate your deductions yet how can you do this properly when not given sufficient resources or information to do so.

Let me be clear. If Uber has not made it clear to riders that they may be paying more from upfront pricing or even know that what is quoted is not necessarily what the trip costs in their stated mileage and time rates then why would they tell drivers the truth? From what I have gathered from riders they do not even know this exists or that they have a choice (if they really do).

In my market as an example the minimum fare is $4. From this I make $3 yet the minimum service fee I have seen Uber charge is $1.02 and not the $1 which would be 25%. On top of their now $2.30 booking fee Uber makes $3.32, that is, 32 cents more per trip than what I make. Also added to this they charge the rider a 50 cent city fee. What is this extra 2 cents? Uber flat out won't tell me. Doesn't sound like much but when talking of thousands of trips per day, it all adds up. Is the total $3.82 deducted in the "Uber Fees" on the 1099. There is absolutely no way of verifying this and Uber has categorically stated in its agreement that (a) the contract is between the rider and driver (does not involve them) and (b) the driver pays the fee to Uber (not that Uber is taking whatever they want). This gives Uber the perfect out for them in stating what they make. Don't get me started on tipping where I have also found discrepancies in what is being shown.

Uber has clearly and continuously demonstrated its lack of ethical standards in its dealings with both drivers and riders alike as well as in the recent resignations of both the CEO and President under clouds of accusations. They have also been subject to continual lawsuits regarding their practices. If you trust Uber then you are the most naive person on the planet.
There is a break down on each trip now on what you receive and all associated fees that you are paying out, you can even see what the passenger has paid now. It is easy to make a spreadsheet if one were to want to do such a thing and track all the money that is going out to Uber from you.

Spock B

So explain to me why they are now not providing monthly 1099's, taken away downloadable csv's, made you manually transcribe the details you require for your txes and take extra from riders without paying driver's appropriately. If they charge more for a fare than the published rate then shouldn't the driver benefit as well?

Uberfunitis

So explain to me why they are now not providing monthly 1099's, taken away downloadable csv's, made you manually transcribe the details you require for your txes and take extra from riders without paying driver's appropriately. If they charge more for a fare than the published rate then shouldn't the driver benefit as well?
Go to Uber.com and look at the bottom of the page for partner earnings and click on print statement.

What the passenger pays is completely independent of what we as drivers get we have agreed to get a set fee paid to us per min and per mile and pay Uber a percentage of that payment. There is nothing in our agreement that ties that rate to what the passenger is paying. We have all agreed to this if we are driving.

Gooberlifturwallet

[/ATTACH]
Welcome to the new age corporate model. They used to call it indentured servitude.
220px-Indenturecertificate.jpg

Spock B

Go to Uber.com and look at the bottom of the page for partner earnings and click on print statement.

What the passenger pays is completely independent of what we as drivers get we have agreed to get a set fee paid to us per min and per mile and pay Uber a percentage of that payment. There is nothing in our agreement that ties that rate to what the passenger is paying. We have all agreed to this if we are driving.

We as drivers do not get to agree on anything other than when we drive and that is totally dependent on whether you "agree" to Uber's terms or not. The words exploitation and extortion come to mind. Thank you for pointing out that I can now print statements which was not there recently and by the way do not include any service fees or other charges made by Uber. Additionally I have looked at the rider app and they are not given a choice either. The App states that they pay what is quoted "or" the applicable distance/time rates. So if the driver takes a longer route or takes more time than Uber calculates then Uber loses but if you know your way around or get there quicker then Uber collects the extra. Guess which way there algorithm is tuned for and guess which drivers will get more rides. I am sure they are monitoring the percentages in their favor.

If you actually look at the updated definition of "Fare" which was posted on May 22 it does not state that we only get distance/time rates but includes "predetermined" or "estimated" fares. What the rider pays IS important to drivers for two reasons. Firstly it is giving a false representation of what a driver is earning for the trip since Uber provides no breakdown to the rider. Secondly Uber continually increasing its charges for itself will reduce the number of people using Uber over the competition thereby reducing our income. As a supposedly "independent contractor" shouldn't you be concerned?

Also as a supposedly "independent contractor" your 1099 will have no relation to what you are given in these net (what we have paid you) pay statements.

If you haven't already noticed you will see drivers who make more money for Uber being given more trips and those less efficient being cut out. I have already seen posts where drivers suspect this is happening. Rideshare, as a concept is great for the community, however Uber as a company is the antithesis of this. To those like myself who currently rely on it for their income I would say keep looking for a better job. I know I am, simply because I find their moral and ethical standards abhorrent. I am reasonably certain that is also why the President (not the CEO) and other executives have recently left. Good luck in your continued defense of Uber practices though I doubt Uber will ever thank or reward you for it.

Uberfunitis

It sounds like you are very unhappy with your arrangement with Uber, I think you are probably making the correct decision in finding something that you enjoy more.

Rakos

It sounds like you are very unhappy with your arrangement with Uber, I think you are probably making the correct decision in finding something that you enjoy more.

The only way that I can describe this response is using the word crass...

He is just pointing out the obvious...

I guess you would rather we do this for free??!

Don't mean to rain on your parade...

Butt.. it's getting more and more obvious...

To most drivers...so I guess your solution...

Would be to just shut up and take it...ouch!

You'r not a jailer by trade are you...?

Rakos

Uberfunitis

The only way that I can describe this response is using the word crass...

He is just pointing out the obvious...

I guess you would rather we do this for free??!

Don't mean to rain on your parade...

Butt.. it's getting more and more obvious...

To most drivers...so I guess your solution...

Would be to just shut up and take it...ouch!

You'r not a jailer by trade are you...?

Rakos
Not for free, but for the agreed upon payment whatever that is where you drive. If one does not like the terms of their contract than finding something that offers term that are more to your liking seems the most logical choice.