Uber is now monitoring our driving behaviors

Uber_duber

I got a message that they're going to start monitoring the way we drive through the app. This is stupid because sometimes we need to make rush and aggressive decisions during high traffic times. I wonder how this is going to turn out and effect us. I wonder when Uber is going to start listening to our conversations.

Another Uber Driver

Does this mean that they are going to de-activate Uber SUV drivers in their Suburbans, Yukons and Escalades who turn left from the right lane on busy, downtown streets, who pull three point turns southbound on Fourteenth Street below K in the middle of P.M. Rush hour and who mow right through crosswalks when pedestrians have both light and pedestrian signal in their favour?

Get Dat Money

Seriously...OP Uber has been monitoring behavior patterns for years as well as data wrangling (gathering) this is how they continue to roll out more bs..most reactions by the drivers are anticipated but the 1st time drivers react in a totally unexpected manner...it'll be like eggs on their faces..but once again accepting it and someone will be like..I knew they would do it

PeacefulJ...

Seriously...OP Uber has been monitoring behavior patterns for years as well as data wrangling (gathering) this is how they continue to roll out more bs..most reactions by the drivers are anticipated but the 1st time drivers react in a totally unexpected manner...it'll be like eggs on their faces..but once again accepting it and someone will be like..I knew they would do it
⬆⬆⬆⬆⬆Correct⬆⬆⬆⬆ If you drive over the speed limit you'll get a beep on your screen showing you what your speed is and what the actual speed limit is. That is one of the ways I noticed I was being monitored.

kbrown

⬆⬆⬆⬆⬆Correct⬆⬆⬆⬆ If you drive over the speed limit you'll get a beep on your screen showing you what your speed is and what the actual speed limit is. That is one of the ways I noticed I was being monitored.
Eff that. I ride as fast as traffic patterns. Fuber is an idiot if they don't take that into consideration

Uber_duber uber already listens to your convo thru the app. Sometimes the beginning of this year they asked for permission to access your microphone. Off course I asked myself why and I denied that @@@@@.
I haven't driven in sometime but when I do, I close the app completely once I'm done with a trip and waiting for surge. Monitor thru pax app. It is a way for uber to kill surge. Even though you are offline, they still use your gps when app is open.
The other thing is the area uber always has some kind of guarantee going. I think it's their weakness. I think once that area starts to surge, it will be hard for them to kill it or at least maintain it to not spread the whole map.

Ubermanpt

Maybe uber can sell this info to someone. Most companies that collect information do it to sell and make $$$ and since we know uber is all about making cash for itself it plans to sell this info (to who I have no idea)

Lyft also seems to know when I'm on my cell phone during a ride--twice I've gotten messages that say 'please dont text and drive.' (of course one of these times, it was communicating with the mother of a boy I was driving to reassure her!)

Uber_duber

How fast over were you going though? Are you allowed a certain speed over the limit before it reacts?

Uberest

I don't mind the monitoring. It's a bit creepy, but heck everyone's monitored and tracked these days. There's no right to privacy any more.

PeacefulJ...

How fast over were you going though? Are you allowed a certain speed over the limit before it reacts?
Well I pushed the limits ( with a pax) in my car just to see at what point it would beep. I found that if you're 15 miles over that's when it beeps or at least in my case.

New2This

Well I pushed the limits ( with a pax) in my car just to see at what point it would beep. I found that if you're 15 miles over that's when it beeps or at least in my case.

Just a PSA. If you're driving in VA (with or without a passenger), going either 20 mph or more over the speed limit or above 80 mph, regardless of the speed limit, turns it from just a moving violation to reckless driving, which is a criminal charge.

HUGE difference in fines, points, but most importantly you can conceivably be looking at jail time for reckless driving. Not recommending speeding at all of course, but if you do in VA, be careful.

Uber_duber

I'm not worried since I don't drive that bad. Maybe this monitor thing isn't as bad as i think it is.