Uber is greedy and shady!

Would you be willing to strike Uber?

• Total voters

Cocamo

Uber has been nudging up the minimum ride fee, now charging $6.11, up from $5.75. That means Uber is now making 87 cents more than we are for every short ride that we give. Once again, they are pocketing the entire increase. I’m not seeing a penny more than the $2.62 I’ve always received. Uber claims they’re still charging $5.75 . The internet also says it’s the lower amount, probably because Uber hasn’t announced it. But, look at the fare details on all your $2.62 rides and you will see the rider is paying $6.11.
They also have stopped paying us a percentage for our other rides. I think most of us used to get 75% after their service fee of $2.25. Uber says this changed in December 2017, but it’s at least been since October. It seems like the average we now get is right around 65%, although it goes as low as 55% I was not made aware of this change, was anybody else?

History of Uberx price changes made for last 2 years

Effective Date Price Change
2/11/16 uberX base fare cost decreased from $1 to $0.95
2/11/16 uberX cost per mile decreased from $0.90 to $0.75
2/11/16 uberX cost per minute decreased from $0.16 to $0.12
4/14/16 uberX base fare cost decreased from $0.95 to $0.40
4/14/16 uberX minimum fare increased from $4.80 to $5
4/14/16 uberX cost per mile increased from $0.75 to $0.90
4/14/16 uberX cost per minute decreased from $0.12 to $0.09
8/19/16 uberX minimum fare increased from $5 to $5.30
2/17/17 uberX minimum fare increased from $5.30 to $5.50
2/17/17 uberX service fees increased from $1.80 to $2
5/9/17 uberX cost per mile increased from $0.90 to $0.95
7/10/17 uberX service fees increased from $2 to $2.25
7/10/17 uberX minimum fare increased from $5.50 to $5.75

Between 7/17 and now there’s been several minimum ride increases to the current $6.11. Drivers have not seen a penny of these increases, still getting $2.62. Uber claims it’s supposed to still be $5.75, They are now getting nearly $1 for every short ride we give. As you can see our base fare was all but taken away while Uber profits more.
Drivers Unite

Let’s stand together and make Uber answer to us and our customers, about what they’re actually charging to customers as well as how much they’re paying us. I think we should all turn our apps off and picket at the airport and by the downtown office, especially with the Waste Management open coming soon. We can get the news to cover it. They would have to listen! They wouldn't want it to get out nationally or other drivers will do the same thing.

Who would be in if we pick a date ( I'm thinking this coming Tuesday?)

Elmo Burrito

Of course I'd strike for higher rates but we are in a minority my friend.
That's because the vast majority of the drivers are part timers and don't give two terds bout nothin uber/Lyfts doin as long as they get a few coins in their bank account.
They have very little skin in the game and will not care bout any organized strike for any reason.
Uber/Lyft designed it that way.

Why do you think they constantly advertise for P/T drivers and pay such large signing bonuses?

Stephen Uno

Sorry buddy, you don’t even have picture on your profile. You see....this has happened in the past, some people turned theirs off while others don’t. I do know and understand your point but.... if you don’t dont like your job just quit.

DriverXLPlus

They seemed to have stopped talking about percent. They tell us how much we get per trip, per mile, and per minute. They can then charge the passenger whatever they want while keeping our rates the same.

Uber quit calculating driver fare off of pax fare way back last May or June... Remember agreeing to a new TOS? Yep... They can charge pax whatever they feel they will pay, and we get per mile per minute only. My last min fare trip shows pax paid $6.10 less a 50% promotion.

SEAL Team 5

6/1/14 UberX driver rates decreased from $2.25 to $1.35 per mile.

If people kept joining to drive after that rate cut (assuming present company included) then I don't think you will ever have enough committed drivers to make any impact whatsoever from a strike.

Bphelps

Uber has been nudging up the minimum ride fee, now charging $6.11, up from $5.75. That means Uber is now making 87 cents more than we are for every short ride that we give. Once again, they are pocketing the entire increase. I’m not seeing a penny more than the $2.62 I’ve always received. Uber claims they’re still charging $5.75 . The internet also says it’s the lower amount, probably because Uber hasn’t announced it. But, look at the fare details on all your $2.62 rides and you will see the rider is paying $6.11.
They also have stopped paying us a percentage for our other rides. I think most of us used to get 75% after their service fee of $2.25. Uber says this changed in December 2017, but it’s at least been since October. It seems like the average we now get is right around 65%, although it goes as low as 55% I was not made aware of this change, was anybody else?

History of Uberx price changes made for last 2 years

2/11/16 uberX cost per mile decreased from $0.90 to $0.75
2/11/16 uberX cost per minute decreased from $0.16 to $0.12
4/14/16 uberX base fare cost decreased from $0.95 to $0.40
4/14/16 uberX minimum fare increased from $4.80 to $5
4/14/16 uberX cost per mile increased from $0.75 to $0.90
4/14/16 uberX cost per minute decreased from $0.12 to $0.09
8/19/16 uberX minimum fare increased from $5 to $5.30
2/17/17 uberX minimum fare increased from $5.30 to $5.50
2/17/17 uberX service fees increased from $1.80 to $2
5/9/17 uberX cost per mile increased from $0.90 to $0.95
7/10/17 uberX service fees increased from $2 to $2.25
7/10/17 uberX minimum fare increased from $5.50 to $5.75

Between 7/17 and now there’s been several minimum ride increases to the current $6.11. Drivers have not seen a penny of these increases, still getting $2.62. Uber claims it’s supposed to still be $5.75, They are now getting nearly $1 for every short ride we give. As you can see our base fare was all but taken away while Uber profits more.
Drivers Unite

Let’s stand together and make Uber answer to us and our customers, about what they’re actually charging to customers as well as how much they’re paying us. I think we should all turn our apps off and picket at the airport and by the downtown office, especially with the Waste Management open coming soon. We can get the news to cover it. They would have to listen! They wouldn't want it to get out nationally or other drivers will do the same thing.

Who would be in if we pick a date ( I'm thinking this coming Tuesday?)
I've also seen uber lose money on rides.

just_me

Speaking of California.
If the split does happen, then old California had better learn how to extract massive amounts of fresh water from the Pacific pretty quick, cause the price of water may skyrocket. Something tells me that the new California farmers are going to need the fresh water for themselves, which would be new California's livelihood.

Second, old California could see a huge increase in the price of electricity too. Remember 2001's electrical energy crisis, roving blackouts, and how Governor Grey Davis locked the Environmentalists out of the negotiating room for building the new and badly needed power plants in California? I don't recall too many of those new plants being located in old California. I maybe wrong on the locations, but I don't think I'm wrong on the overall point of old California not being able to generate enough electricity for it's own use. One thing that crisis taught us was if you have to import electricity from another state, then your buying electricity on the open market - which means skyrocketing prices if the other states won't increase their production, which is essentially what happened to California back in 2001.

(Lots and lots of court cases if this happens - a lawyer's dream come true).

Edit: http://www.energy.ca.gov/maps/powerplants/power_plant_statewide.html - Yup. High electricity prices for old California.

Last edited:

CarterPeerless

If the split does happen, then old California had better learn how to extract massive amounts of fresh water from the Pacific pretty quick, cause the price of water may skyrocket. Something tells me that the new California farmers are going to need the fresh water for themselves, which would be new California's livelihood.

Second, old California could see a huge increase in the price of electricity too. Remember 2001's electrical energy crisis, roving blackouts, and how Governor Grey Davis locked the Environmentalists out of the negotiating room for building the new and badly needed power plants in California? I don't recall too many of those new plants being located in old California. I maybe wrong on the locations, but I don't think I'm wrong on the overall point of old California not being able to generate enough electricity for it's own use. One thing that crisis taught us was if you have to import electricity from another state, then your buying electricity on the open market - which means skyrocketing prices if the other states won't increase their production, which is essentially what happened to California back in 2001.

(Lots and lots of court cases if this happens - a lawyer's dream come true).

Edit: http://www.energy.ca.gov/maps/powerplants/power_plant_statewide.html - Yup. High electricity prices for old California.
Add to that - their industry will tank. A good deal of the "things" that they produce are made for the government, specifically the military. Boeing, Lockheed, Nortrop, General Dynamics - they will all need to move production to the US if they wish to continue doing business with the US.

The shipping ports in Oregon and Washington would get alot busier, because now they are the primary point of entry for goods from Asia. Who is going to pay the extra fees associated with transshipping across a foreign country (hint - no one, or else we would already be doing it through Mexico)? They have no trade agreements, so everything they wish to sell in the US will have duty applied.

California has 250,000 federal employees. All of those jobs instantly vaporize.

California doesn't have a US dollar stockpile, they have billions of US dollar debt. It has to be paid somehow and creditors are not going to be interested in California's 5 minute old funny money. Congrats, you just became Venezuela.