1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Uber is getting ready to cut drivers.

Discussion in 'Los Angeles & Orange County' started by Knightrider02, Jan 6, 2017.

1. Knightrider02

Knightrider02 New Member

I met a young lady last night at the bar who works at one of the greenlight hubs. I didn't tell her that I drive for Uber, just told her about my career in management. I told her I had been thinking about doing Uber for extra money because I like to travel. She said I better do it now because they are planning on cutting employees in Los Angeles this year by at least 30%. She told me that they are getting ready to heavily roll out the "self driving" vehicles. She said that the hold back in San Francisco will be resolved soon. They are already training some staff on how to deal with drivers when they come into the greenlight locations after being deactivated. She also told me that she doesn't like the way corporate treats the drivers. She said that there mentality is that we are all replaceable and not worth taking care of. That's not really news to us though.

Yes I lied to her. But I'm not looking to marry her. So I'm sure there will be some comments about this. So just to let you know she is not looking for anything serious also.

My 2 cents on this.
    1. They will most likely cut anyone on the old 20/80 split first. It would be the logical business move.

2. I'm sure they will not cut all there drivers for now because there are a good amount of people that do not trust self driving cars.

3. They are going to use any excuse at first to start deactivating. After that they will just come at us with a hatchet and get rid of us because they can.

Her and I hit it off so I will continue to pump her for info.

2. Adieu

Adieu Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    Don't forget your hat when you pump her "for info"

3. DollarStoreChauffeur

DollarStoreChauffeur Well-Known Member

I don't believe any hub employees are privy to anything beyond speculation. They're bottom of the barrel people just like drivers are. I have no doubt, however, that those facilities are rife with grapevine nonsense so people can banter about being an insider at Uber among friends and coworkers.

4. senorCRV

senorCRV Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    I'm hoping Uber goes IPO before they release any actual driverless cars beyond "testing"

Otherwise how am I going to short their stock so hard as to buy my own private island?

5. RacerX

RacerX Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    except for maybe the area manager Green light workers are not real Uber employees. They are $15 per hour contractors who are employed through a staffing company. Uber corporate employees who have any real Uber info have signed Non-disclosures and are not going to risk being fired and losing their stock options by giving trivial info to contractors. I wouldn't take what she said to heart. Uber is still offering Sign up bonuses and autonomous cars are still years away. quit fear-mongering on UP. They still need a UberX on every corner for now.

Uberchampion, Bo Duke, qaz and 16 others like this.

6. uberist

uberist Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Hahahabahahaha going to cut because of self driving cars hahaahahahaaa so all these self driving cars are parked where?

The proto types havent been tested and approved yet!

Im just gonna say it, maybe not you but some one here at that bar was making up fairytales for the imaginary world they wish they lived in.

7. senorCRV

Driving:
    UberX
    Greenlight is a dark room, drivers are the mushrooms, and hub employees are the sh*t to fertilize the situation.

8. senorCRV

Driving:
    UberX
    Yes, don't worry, your pimp is still here to slap you around and take your money... BTW, you got any friends who need a good backhand? 20 tricks and I'll give you a nickel.

dirtylee and tohunt4me like this.
  9. Jfender

Jfender New Member

It has not been approved in California. Imagine a driverless car Around laurel canyon Coldwater and Beverly glen? Disaster

I bet she believes in unicorns as well

10. OCuber

OCuber Well-Known Member

Deactivate away.......driverless cars not coming to CA any time soon......Anyway, Uber treat the morons at GL centers worse than the drivers........those morons couldn't qualify as drivers so uber stuck em in GL centers....tell her she's being replaced by an half wit in Bangladesh, my neighbors cat told me.....in confidence of course.

11. LostOne

LostOne Well-Known Member

Who cares if there is little hope in this its still possibly good news start cutting now way too many damn drivers

tohunt4me likes this.
  12. Benalepsy87

Benalepsy87 Well-Known Member

She doesn't know what she's talking about. She's probably just as clueless as the average driver.

Also, self driving cars have around 10 years before they're actually used.

13. RacerX

RacerX Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Maybe what she heard was the rumor that Uber might be getting ready to lower base prices in LA to 75cent and they expect thousands of angry drivers to show up at greenlight stations with pitchforks and clubs in hand. that to me sounds more believable then all driverless cars in 2017

14. CaptSteve

CaptSteve Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Fake News! Are you Russian?

15. arto71

arto71 Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
  16. senorCRV

Driving:
    UberX
    tohunt4me and arto71 like this.
  17. LostOne

LostOne Well-Known Member

Hahaha this is probably true

tohunt4me likes this.
  18. shmuuber

shmuuber Well-Known Member

Honestly, is this really fear mongering? Is it really that far-fetched? Personally I don't think so. Uber has given up on trying to be profitable with human drivers and is dead set on doing this as soon as possible to please their investors. If their goal is to become public and sell off their stakes in the company as soon as possible, which we know it is, then it's a given that they're gonna rush this with everything they've got. Their optimistic and probably unrealistic timetable for autonomous cars is sometime this year, while drivers' skepticism here says another decade, if ever. The truth is probably somewhere in between, but sadly probably sooner than what we're hoping.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2017
    Donald J Prechtl and tohunt4me like this.
  19. MC&HE4EVA

MC&HE4EVA New Member

Ha ha!

tohunt4me likes this.
  20. senorCRV

Driving:
    UberX
    No. The goal is for them to very very limited use driverless cars in a very very controlled environment where they can rig the results to make it look viable before they go public.

IPO + cool new tech = overpriced stock

Sell stock for profit, new investors want new management... by the time they figure out how not viable the program is the people with money in the game today are long long gone and have someone in between to blame.

It's not even a new trick.