• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Uber is fighting Dynamex rule

vkandaharv

Nope
Post automatically merged:

The figure is 80% part time. Also, can validate from my own personal/corporate experience.

So, you're very wrong. Period.
Skepticism is appropriate when the only source provided is personal experience, especially when a different source contradicts, wouldn’t you say?

Nats121

As I stated in a previous post, the bedrock core of the rideshare business is the Mon-Fri commuters, most of whom are being driven by FULL TIME drivers.

There are fewer full time drivers than part timers, but the full timers provide a disproportionate number of trips, especially commuters.

Uber and lyft would be out of business in less than 24 hours without the full timers.

uberdriverfornow

If drivers can't make money fulltime they aren't making money part time either.

Come on a smart investor/landlord/propertymanager/uber driver like you knows that better than the rest of us.
lol fozzie is only happy because she makes almost twice as much as people in the rest of the country

it's no wonder now...if she was making 60 cents a mile like everyone else she would be singing a different tune

Fozzie

If Uber and Lyft want us to remain independent contractors, they should make Seattle's rates a nationwide policy.

In Phoenix, our drop rate is 30 cents. That's insulting. Uber and Lyft are expanding their profits at the expense of the drivers.
It's insulting, but you still @@@@ing drive, don't you? If you don't agree with the pay offered, go out and get a job that pays what you want to be paid. Anything less is just @@@@ing whining.

If you want our rates, move your ass here and buy a $800,000 median priced home.

Lissetti

Rebel Honey Badger
Article Manager
What @Fozzie says is true. Seattle has probably the highest rideshare rates in the country. I can easily make $1000+ a week on one app and under 35 hours. Seattle also has the highest minimum wage in the country at $16.00 an hour. Our cost of living is more closer to San Francisco than anyone with all the giant StartUps that came from here and who currently have their HQ's here. (Amazon, Microsoft, Nintendo, Bungie, Expedia, Starbucks, and Costco) We have other tech giants such as Facebook, Uber, Zuilly, 3 Google campuses, and the T-Mobile HQ campus to name a few.

Seattle is also the test market for most of Uber's "bright" ideas. Lets not forget The Teen Rider Platform which they forced on us and had we not went to the media, it would have went nationwide.

It's also true the city of Seattle has Uber and Lyft under a microscope.

If the collective bargaining succeeds and Uber loses, this also will go nationwide. Uber wants us drivers to help them fight the city of Seattle. That....is why we Ants are their best friends right now.

BobMarley

It's insulting, but you still @@@@ing drive, don't you? If you don't agree with the pay offered, go out and get a job that pays what you want to be paid. Anything less is just @@@@ing whining.

If you want our rates, move your ass here and buy a $800,000 median priced home.
Indeed, there is lots of BS with the way Uber does business, but I have no idea why anyone thinks a corporation should pay the same rates for contractors in every area they operate. Sure I get less here in ABQ, but my house cost around $130 sq/foot in a slightly better than average neighborhood.

observer

Indeed, there is lots of BS with the way Uber does business, but I have no idea why anyone thinks a corporation should pay the same rates for contractors in every area they operate. Sure I get less here in ABQ, but my house cost around $130 sq/foot in a slightly better than average neighborhood.
AB5 is about Uber paying drivers at at least the minimum wage plus expenses in California.

Just like every other company in California does now.

There's nothing special about Uber.

BobMarley

AB5 is about Uber paying drivers at at least the minimum wage plus expenses in California.

Just like every other company in California does now.

There's nothing special about Uber.
"If Uber and Lyft want us to remain independent contractors, they should make Seattle's rates a nationwide policy. "

? I was responding to a complaint that Uber doesn't pay everyone the same rate in the country. I already make more than New Mexico minimum wage doing rideshare, like 40% more (thats like saying I make 40% more than jackshit though lol).

observer

"If Uber and Lyft want us to remain independent contractors, they should make Seattle's rates a nationwide policy. "

? I was responding to a complaint that Uber doesn't pay everyone the same rate in the country. I already make more than New Mexico minimum wage doing rideshare, like 40% more (thats like saying I make 40% more than jackshit though lol).
Ahhh gotcha. Yea a nationwide rate isn't feasible.

nosurgenodrive

My name should make it clear to you that, no, I don't drive for base fare.

Ahhh gotcha. Yea a nationwide rate isn't feasible.
A nationwide basefare minimum IS feasible.

observer

My name should make it clear to you that, no, I don't drive for base fare.

A nationwide basefare minimum IS feasible.
Will never happen.

We don't even have a nationwide minimum wage.

Minimum wage ranges from around three bux up to 15 bux.

BobMarley

Will never happen.

Yeah we do. Federal minimum wage is $7.50/hour, though there are some exceptions most notable for tipped employees (but what they make plus tips must equal $7.50). Several states have no minimum wage, so that is the de facto one there.

nosurgenodrive

Will never happen.

The power of courts is more influential than you realize. Courts are already pushing for destination information to be mandatory. Courts also protect us from being deactivated for not having a high acceptance rate.

A minimum base fare and driver feedback as independent contractors for base rates and drop rates will likely be one to two years down the road.

observer

Yeah we do. Federal minimum wage is $7.50/hour, though there are some exceptions most notable for tipped employees (but what they make plus tips must equal $7.50). Several states have no minimum wage, so that is the de facto one there.
That's what I meant. I think the minimum wage for servers was 2.75, it may have gone up. Tips are voluntary and shouldn't be counted in my opinion.

I think four states have no minimum.

Georgia has a state minimum of 5.15, not sure how they get away with that.
Screenshot_2019-06-18-12-15-37.png

Seattle is up to 16 bux an hour.

What I meant was there is no level minimum wage. The federal minimum is not really used in places where expenses are higher which actually reinforces my statement that a national minimum wage isn't feasible.

The power of courts is more influential than you realize. Courts are already pushing for destination information to be mandatory. Courts also protect us from being deactivated for not having a high acceptance rate.

A minimum base fare and driver feedback as independent contractors for base rates and drop rates will likely be one to two years down the road.
Maybe but I doubt it.

Every state has a different minimum wage. Cities and counties within those states have different minimum wages.

Unless Congress raises the federal minimum wage to the highest state minimum wage there cannot be a national base fare.

People in states with higher minimum wage would revolt if the MW were lowered.

I don't see a national base fare as feasible.

Last edited:

nouberipo

you think being employee is gona help ? lmao

say by law employers only have to give benefits to FULL TIME Employees, Full time = 30 hrs a week

LYft/UBER will do this

max hrs per week , 29 . Force you to sign non compete clause .

As Employees , they pay you minimum wage, plus bare minimum for car costs .

Fight for Higher Fares , Rates , Saturation, Forced Gratuity .
As I stated in a previous post, the bedrock core of the rideshare business is the Mon-Fri commuters, most of whom are being driven by FULL TIME drivers.

There are fewer full time drivers than part timers, but the full timers provide a disproportionate number of trips, especially commuters.

Uber and lyft would be out of business in less than 24 hours without the full timers.
Although I would like to agree with you as I have zero respect for or trust of Uber/Lyft, the number of full time drivers/part time drivers cannot be determined without empirical evidence (statistics) which would only come from Uber/Lyft who will not supply them as that would be too transparent. Again, I wish I could agree with you but conjecture will get us nowhere. Empirical facts/figures about the rideshares are very difficult to find for a reason.

I didn't believe you. I googled it.

"For many drivers, driving is their full-time, primary work. 2 out of 3 ride-hailing drivers in Los Angeles rely on driving as their main source of income. 1 in 2 drivers say that driving is their only job. " https://www.labor.ucla.edu/publication/more-than-a-gig/

I still don't believe you.
First of all this is not a peer-reviewed scientific report but rather one that was likely done by a bunch of graduates or undergraduates. Second, the methodology on how they obtained the numbers if fully absent. They don't even show the most basic number.....the sample size. What, did they talk to 2, 20, 200, 2000 drivers and how exactly were they representative of the LA drivers? As an academic for most of my life I can tell you that this sort of trash reporting is exactly why empirical truth is difficult to comeby nowadays. Anyone who relies on this report to substantiate an argument without knowing the methodology is perpetuating misinformation. I do not refute that many drivers do this full-time but how many is only known by Uber/Lyft who as we all know will not give out the information or will give out false information to meet their needs. Truth is irrelevant to Uber/Lyft and is a reflection of the government under which it operates.

Last edited:

Nats121

Although I would like to agree with you as I have zero respect for or trust of Uber/Lyft, the number of full time drivers/part time drivers cannot be determined without empirical evidence (statistics) which would only come from Uber/Lyft who will not supply them as that would be too transparent. Again, I wish I could agree with you but conjecture will get us nowhere. Empirical facts/figures about the rideshares are very difficult to find for a reason.
I don't remember what article I read it from, but recently both companies acknowledged that their full time drivers do a vastly disproportionate number of the total rides.

Also, if you read between the lines of both companies' claims that most of their drivers are working 10-20 hours per week, you'll see there's no way all those millions of commuters are being transported without the full timers.

nouberipo

The only thing I don't understand is why people continue to drive rideshare when their local rates are so damn low. As long as you work for those wages, Uber and Lyft have won.

That said, having lived in more than a dozen states, I understand the dynamic differences between regions, and that there is no one size fits all fix to this problem. Yeah, I make more per mile here, but that's what it takes to get people to drive here due to cost of housing, fuel, etc. Someone living in Orlando has much lower living costs, and that needs to be considered when setting rates.

Choosing to be an employee working for minimum wage isn't going to make your life any better than going out and applying for a job at McDonalds.
The larger question is why companies can operate in this country exploiting workers at wages under minimum wage while the workers pay employee and employer taxes AND use their personal resources. This should not be allowed and that is why regulators will be regulating. If Uber/Lyft get away with it what will stop other companies from following the same exploitation model

Polomarko

Everyone who thinks that in Ca he make money with U/L is not right..
There is no way that driver in Ca after expenses can make even minimum wages. 401 , Social security benefits, health care, pay vacation, pay holidays, sick days all of these with U/L are just driver dreams. I been driving part time for U/L for four years.
So, It is not essential are we going to be U/L employee or not. Fundamental question is how this companies are going to compensate driver,
How much drivers are going to be paid after all car expenses? So, If you think that you are independent contractor please google it to fined out what real independent contractor charge per hour in Ca. $125 is a min. charge. So, U/L driver are just people manipulated with this two companies.It is time to regulate this businesses.

vkandaharv

First of all this is not a peer-reviewed scientific report but rather one that was likely done by a bunch of graduates or undergraduates. Second, the methodology on how they obtained the numbers if fully absent. They don't even show the most basic number.....the sample size. What, did they talk to 2, 20, 200, 2000 drivers and how exactly were they representative of the LA drivers? As an academic for most of my life I can tell you that this sort of trash reporting is exactly why empirical truth is difficult to comeby nowadays. Anyone who relies on this report to substantiate an argument without knowing the methodology is perpetuating misinformation. I do not refute that many drivers do this full-time but how many is only known by Uber/Lyft who as we all know will not give out the information or will give out false information to meet their needs. Truth is irrelevant to Uber/Lyft and is a reflection of the government under which it operates.
Did you look at page 47 of https://www.labor.ucla.edu/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/Final-Report.-UCLA-More-than-a-Gig.pdf

uberdriverfornow

What @Fozzie says is true. Seattle has probably the highest rideshare rates in the country. I can easily make $1000+ a week on one app and under 35 hours. Seattle also has the highest minimum wage in the country at $16.00 an hour. Our cost of living is more closer to San Francisco than anyone with all the giant StartUps that came from here and who currently have their HQ's here. (Amazon, Microsoft, Nintendo, Bungie, Expedia, Starbucks, and Costco) We have other tech giants such as Facebook, Uber, Zuilly, 3 Google campuses, and the T-Mobile HQ campus to name a few.

Seattle is also the test market for most of Uber's "bright" ideas. Lets not forget The Teen Rider Platform which they forced on us and had we not went to the media, it would have went nationwide.

It's also true the city of Seattle has Uber and Lyft under a microscope.

If the collective bargaining succeeds and Uber loses, this also will go nationwide. Uber wants us drivers to help them fight the city of Seattle. That....is why we Ants are their best friends right now.
the reason shes making $1.10 an hour is because uber is under the threat of employee-sation in seattle with that law they passed over there that is making its way through the courts...which is basically what is now happening in california...forcing uber to play nice