Uber IPO. The million $ question.

IMMA DRIVER

OK...so let's say you invest your entire $500 or $1000 achievement award into Uber stocks. How much do you feel it be worth in 5-10yrs?

Veal66

I think Uber and Lyft stocks are going to struggle quite a bit. Not go to worthless, but be down 30-50% overall over the next couple years. I said this awhile ago, but the only way I see these stocks making a profit is if some bigger fish (like Amazon) came along and decided to do a buyout/takeover to get all of their intellectual property and the rider database data that they have accumulated.

IMMA DRIVER

I think Uber and Lyft stocks are going to struggle quite a bit. Not go to worthless, but be down 30-50% overall over the next couple years. I said this awhile ago, but the only way I see these stocks making a profit is if some bigger fish (like Amazon) came along and decided to do a buyout/takeover to get all of their intellectual property and the rider database data that they have accumulated.

What do you think if the driver-less vehicles take over in 5-10yrs? Wouldn't the value increase? Have to think about the future, right?

Veal66

What do you think if the driver-less vehicles take over in 5-10yrs? Wouldn't the value increase? Have to think about the future, right?
Uber and Lyft are near the bottom vs. all of their competitors in that arena, in getting SDC to market. So I don't think that will be part of any success story for them in getting to profitability.

Article from Bloomberg ranking all of the companies racing to be first on SDC:

Last edited:

Arb Watson

Waymo will be there before Uber. Plus the tech is still pretty price. Alphabet is looking for additional investors to spread the risk.

E30addixt

My million dollar question is if we have to hold onto the shares for any length of time. I see a big initial pop with uber now with a lot of drivers buying in.

Arb Watson

Started going through S1. Uber burning cash on sales and marketing. This includes driver referrals. Looks like ant referral amount went down. I guess there could be two conclusions: less ants signing up or the referral bonuses are lower.

john1975

OK...so let's say you invest your entire $500 or $1000 achievement award into Uber stocks. How much do you feel it be worth in 5-10yrs?
I could give a crap about it if it’s only $1k. That’s peanuts. If I invest real money in it I’d be more concerned. I think it will be worth more.

TheDevilisaParttimer

Uber and Lyft are near the bottom vs. all of their competitors in that arena, in getting SDC to market. So I don't think that will be part of any success story for them in getting to profitability.

Article from Bloomberg ranking all of the companies racing to be first on SDC:
The article just highlights how screwed Uber really is. SDC technology due date has came and passed, with new 5-10 years away promises. Albeit this time companies are admitting when it finally does come it will only be in smaller geofence areas with have been mapped and lights timed.

DONALDTRUMPSHAIR

I think you’re underestimating the driver pool. It’s made up of all sorts. Sure most can’t but say even 10-15% invest 50k or more that’s still a decent number of people.

Have you ever ridden in an Uber?

If you have, then you know just how insane your guess that 10-15% of Uber drivers have $50,000 laying around.

I'd be shocked if 15% of Uber drivers had $500 laying around.

BillyTheKidd

There are several just on this forum. We constantly say this forum has a miniscule representation of drivers just in this city. I think there are more than you'd like to admit.

While I agree with you I think John saying 10 % to 15% can invest 50k is absurd. Very few people have 50k to invest in a stock or the stock market. In a retirement plan yes, to just wake up and drop 50k in the market, no.

E30addixt

While I agree with you I think John saying 10 % to 15% can invest 50k is absurd. Very few people have 50k to invest in a stock or the stock market. In a retirement plan yes, to just wake up and drop 50k in the market, no.

Yeah 50k to invest in Uber is probably unrealistic.

I can totally see a lot of drivers spending small amounts on the IPO and like grinding minimum fare in the city that can add up pretty fast.

I think this "reward" is one of the smarter things Uber has done from a business perspective. I'm sure they're looking for ways to prevent the stock from cratering right away like Lyft's did.

Last edited:

Arb Watson

I think you’re underestimating the driver pool. It’s made up of all sorts. Sure most can’t but say even 10-15% invest 50k or more that’s still a decent number of people.
I doubt the percentage of Uber drivers that have 50k to drop is that high.

IMMA DRIVER

I read this on Markets Insider
"Even successful companies often stumble out of the gates, for example Facebook shares fell more than 50% during their first three months of trading before rallying more than 800% off the lows."

Arb Watson

Most people have about 20k in their retirement.
Post automatically merged:

I read this on Markets Insider
"Even successful companies often stumble out of the gates, for example Facebook shares fell more than 50% during their first three months of trading before rallying more than 800% off the lows."
Facebook is very different now. They got whatsapp and Instagram. Facebook didn't burn so much cash. Uber has potential, but right now its overpriced.

A lot of public companies don't do well. Examples Fitbit, Blue Apron, Snapchat etc.
Post automatically merged:

Yeah 50k to invest in Uber is probably unrealistic.

I can totally see a lot of drivers spending small amounts on the IPO and like grinding minimum fare in the city that can add up pretty fast.

I think this "reward" is one of the smarter things Uber has done from a business perspective. I'm sure they're looking for ways to prevent the stock from cratering right away like Lyft's did.
Nothing you can do to stop the stock from getting smoked. Short term algos will control the price of a stock. Long term earnings will set the tone. I can bet there is ton of hedge funds that will be shorting Uber along with longs who will try to protect gains.

Last edited: