uber in Jacksonville Sunday 9/10/17

jonhjax

Was uber running Sunday? If so, how big was the surge? Our company wouldn't let customers book rides with us so you guys must've made a killing.I wanted to work for a few hours but no go. I did do an emergency trip to Miami early Saturday so my weekend was very good. Getting gas on the way back was an adventure, though. Gas was nonexistent in Dade and Broward counties but I found a station in WPB. Weather was windy with scattered rain throughout the trip, nothing dangerous to drive in . Miami was starting to get bad as I was leaving. Glad I got there when I did. Hope everyone got through the storm OK. Evidently Clay county is pretty bad and downtown is messed up too. Good luck and God bless you all.

TwoFiddyMile

Was uber running Sunday? If so, how big was the surge? Our company wouldn't let customers book rides with us so you guys must've made a killing.I wanted to work for a few hours but no go. I did do an emergency trip to Miami early Saturday so my weekend was very good. Getting gas on the way back was an adventure, though. Gas was nonexistent in Dade and Broward counties but I found a station in WPB. Weather was windy with scattered rain throughout the trip, nothing dangerous to drive in . Miami was starting to get bad as I was leaving. Glad I got there when I did. Hope everyone got through the storm OK. Evidently Clay county is pretty bad and downtown is messed up too. Good luck and God bless you all.
You drive a cab in Jacksonville? What's it like, do you lease?

Fastlane1588

Saturday night was busy because there were few drivers out. I was getting pings 25-35 min away non stop, but unfortunately there wasn't even a surge. Wasn't worth it.

TwoFiddyMile

Yep - he is a cab driver who trolls the Uber site. He must not be a good one either he spends all of his time on the Uber site.
Lol.
The more successful I am, the more free I have to "troll".
Tuesday morning was slow. $163 in 7.25 hours from 01:15 to 08:30.

Funny addressing me like that about him...I'm the most famous cabbie on this board, hands down :smiles:

Cheers, mate.

jonhjax

Good one, Dragonetti. I've read your posts many times,TwoFiddy. Yes I lease. I'm retiring in late October or early November. Uber's cheap rates pretty much screwed taxis and their own drivers to where if you really do your expenses as a business the amount you make isn't worth the hours you put in. It's usually less than minimum wage, sometimes much less. What uber's cheap fares have done is drastically reduce the amount of long trips we get. That's how we make good money. Sorry for the long story, but I'm being real. Thank God I have the resources to retire. BTW, $163 is about how much I gross in 10 hours here.

canyon

Good one, Dragonetti. I've read your posts many times,TwoFiddy. Yes I lease. I'm retiring in late October or early November. Uber's cheap rates pretty much screwed taxis and their own drivers to where if you really do your expenses as a business the amount you make isn't worth the hours you put in. It's usually less than minimum wage, sometimes much less. What uber's cheap fares have done is drastically reduce the amount of long trips we get. That's how we make good money. Sorry for the long story, but I'm being real. Thank God I have the resources to retire. BTW, $163 is about how much I gross in 10 hours here.
That's nothing to brag about.

jonhjax

That's not bragging. It's reality. Business is crappy. That's why I'm retiring. I'm fortunate that I have the resources to do so. Good luck to you all. The next couple of years in this business should become very interesting, rates will increase to near taxi rates and I hope uber doesn't increase its commissions too much. If uber doubles their rates and increases their commission to 40% they will become profitable. You'll make more money and taxis might gain some business back too. Just my opinion, for what it's worth . I'll be watching but probably not participating. Once again, good luck.

Telsa34

I don't think it's uber's cheap rates that screwed the taxi I believe it's the taxi owners that have not conformed to a more modern way of transportation this is what brought about Zip Trip which is owned by Checker Cab when you consider that a taxi charges$3 per mile a lot of the taxis are used police cars that are completely worn out with three or four hundred thousand miles on them a lot of the drivers are foreign Nationals a lot of the drivers have issues with the cleanliness of their cars and their own personal hygiene now this is not saying every driver is like that because I know it's not, but this is a stigma that the general public does share with their opinion of a lot of taxi drivers, the owners of the taxi cabs franchises they have little or no investment and those type of vehicles so they've made hundreds of thousands of dollars over the years doing this and unfortunately somebody smarter came along and said hey we can do this a little differently.

TwoFiddyMile

Lol. It's funny (not humorous) the little pockets of taxi hatred you can still find on UPnet. Most enlightened Uber drivers now realize they got roped into being taxi owner operators for far less revenue.

jonhjax

Telsa, the fares in Jacksonville for taxis are capped by the city at $2.00 per mile, with the exception of black cars and the super shuttles. There are probably less than 40 old Crown Vics and Impalas left in service out of more than 250 vehicles at our company. Some minivans have more than 200,000 miles on them but they're being replaced, not all at once, but they're steadily being replaced. Yes. there is still a stigma attached to taxis, no doubt about it, but one thing uber has done is force the taxi companies to improve their fleets with newer vehicles with lower mileage. The will still run the vehicles up to 300,00+ miles as long as they run well and I've had two vans I was driving temporarily taken from me to get new paint jobs and body work. Anyway, I've got 49 days left until my first check's in the bank! Thank God for that. Have a good one, fellow driver.

KMANDERSON

I don't think it's uber's cheap rates that screwed the taxi I believe it's the taxi owners that have not conformed to a more modern way of transportation this is what brought about Zip Trip which is owned by Checker Cab when you consider that a taxi charges$3 per mile a lot of the taxis are used police cars that are completely worn out with three or four hundred thousand miles on them a lot of the drivers are foreign Nationals a lot of the drivers have issues with the cleanliness of their cars and their own personal hygiene now this is not saying every driver is like that because I know it's not, but this is a stigma that the general public does share with their opinion of a lot of taxi drivers, the owners of the taxi cabs franchises they have little or no investment and those type of vehicles so they've made hundreds of thousands of dollars over the years doing this and unfortunately somebody smarter came along and said hey we can do this a little differently.
It the cheap rates.
20170907_220603.jpg

Last edited: