1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Uber in Charles Town, WV

Discussion in 'Complaints' started by mbj217, Apr 16, 2018.

1. mbj217

mbj217 New Member

Hello,

I've been doing Uber/Lyft in Charles Town, WV since the end of October. When I initially signed up it forced me to pick the Baltimore region( I called and they advised this was ok). Two Friday's ago I received a call from Uber saying I had to pick WV or Maryland. I said WV. They said ok and that they had to do another background. Why do they have to do another one? I have a 4.98 rating and have never been in legal trouble once. I haven't been able to drive for 10 days now awaiting the completion of my second background check in 2 months. This is really aggravating.

2. Uber's Guber

Uber's Guber Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Maybe regional requirements mandate specified record checks when doing an investigative background checks for the area you chose.
    Anyway, Uber is re-running all their drivers (including already established drivers) through a more thourough background check. Everybody is getting a do-over.

3. Ben Wood

Ben Wood Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    This would be a GREAT question for...

Uber.

4. mbj217

mbj217 New Member

No doubt. I have spoked to 3 people on the phone and at least two times through email. They don't have any idea and could care less. My neighbor who does Uber just had the same thing happen to him yesterday. Makes no sense. The other BS is that in my full time job I do criminal background checks. I can run a guy with a ton of aliases and a 150 page rap sheet in 2 hours. Why am I getting a second one, and why does it take weeks when I have no aliases and no arrests.

Rakos likes this.
  5. reg barclay

reg barclay Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    I'd take a guess that what happened is something like this: When you first signed up Uber wasn't yet available in your area so you were signed up in a different one (Baltimore MD). Uber then became available in your area, so Uber contacted you to find out if you wanted to switch to your own area (WV), or continue driving in MD, presumably you can't do both. You chose to make the switch to WV and that's why they're running a new background check, a new background check is standard procedure when you switch the state you drive in.

6. mbj217

mbj217 New Member

I think your spot on. Just frustrating that I'm out of commission for this long, when I have done everything by the book. It's ridiculously inefficient how long their background checks take especially b/c they are probably dealing primarily with people who do not have criminal records. My guess is they have one person doing 100s of people or something like that but if that's the case their is much more chance for error.

7. Ben Wood

Ben Wood Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX

my guess? they have outsourced the background check process to a company that completes them in zones... potentially the company changed or the zones changes and now you need a new check

8. reg barclay

reg barclay Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Last time I switched it took less than a day, although IIRC they said it could take up to a few weeks. I don't know why some take longer than others, it might have to do with how busy they are, either way it's frustrating.

If you have Lyft in your area, I'd try signing up with them (if you haven't already). You might be able to do Lyft rides while you're waiting.

9. mbj217

mbj217 New Member

I do have lyft but it's not good near me. It kicks me 28 minutes away for a 1 mile ride. Then I have to sit and wait and sometimes get no return rides. I only turn on lyft if I'm desperate!