Uber ice cream 2016

Adam S

Is anyone doing Uber ice cream? I received a call from an Uber representative last night (which has never happened). So I thought I was going to get deactivated or something. Rather it was for a standby position to deliver ice cream. After some thought I decided to sign up. Did anyone do this last year? How did it go?

tohunt4me

Is anyone doing Uber ice cream? I received a call from an Uber representative last night (which has never happened). So I thought I was going to get deactivated or something. Rather it was for a standby position to deliver ice cream. After some thought I decided to sign up. Did anyone do this last year? How did it go?
They pay you to " stand by " ?

ptuberx

Although I don't plan on doing it myself, I am curious as to what the "promised" rate is for this? I got the notice from Uber about stopping for some ice cream this weekend, but honestly I didn't have time to stop. Friday and Saturday I logged 60 trips (28 Fri / 32 Sat), one of them at a 4.4X surge)... The only "break" I got was to get gas when I had to go offline last night for some gas and a fast slice of pizza, but everything the last two days has been non-stop back-to-back fares. Ice cream does sound refreshing, don't get me wrong, but when I can't even pull out of someone's driveway without having an overlap waiting to be picked up, it makes a little tough to ignore the fare and stop for ice cream. However that being said, I thank those who are signing up and willing to help out others who request it when they want it.

Last edited:

Adam S

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm doing it.

And what sins have you committed that made you think you would be activated?:smiles:
I am assuming that activated Is not a typo. I have a decent rating and do alright on hourly earnings every week. However, I want to make good money, so I am pickey on the pings I accept. They send me warning emails often, even if I am above the 80% mark for the week. Plus I am part of the 20% crew, so if they can oust us they can bring in more money by replacing us with newer drivers.

Adam S

Although I don't plan on doing it myself, I am curious as to what the "promised" rate is for this? I got the notice from Uber about stopping for some ice cream this weekend, but honestly I didn't have time to stop. Friday and Saturday I logged 60 trips (28 Fri / 32 Sat), one of them at a 4.4X surge)... The only "break" I got was to get gas when I had to go offline last night for some gas and a fast slice of pizza, but everything the last two days has been non-stop back-to-back fares. Ice cream does sound refreshing, don't get me wrong, but when I can't even pull out of someone's driveway without having an overlap waiting to be picked up, it makes a little tough to ignore the fare and stop for ice cream. However that being said, I thank those who are signing up and willing to help out others who request it when they want it.
The rate was $20 an hour with one being non driving. If figured it would be a good change of pace. I hardly put any miles on my van during that time and was able to keep half of the ice cream at the end of the day. However, I did give most of it away to a good cause.

WDM1wood

I don't know if I would do it again. It felt like... work. I was watching the clock drag the last hour, just like being on the clock at a real job. Plus, no nobody in the car to talk to.

ptuberx

I don't know if I would do it again. It felt like... work. I was watching the clock drag the last hour, just like being on the clock at a real job. Plus, no nobody in the car to talk to.
Sounds about the same as the boat I was in a week or two ago. The races were on in Newton, and they "guaranteed" a fare between certain times, totaling $216 over two days. I left my phone on in Newton during peek hours. A few hours went by, no pings. I drove out to Des Moines and WDSM and made $216 that single night in bring-home and tips. The next night, I brought home over $270 in Des Moines.

The Newton thing was a bust, same as the ice cream apparently. I would rather drive and make money. Even with so many new drivers in Des Moines, there is a really easy way to make money.

14gIV

Sounds about the same as the boat I was in a week or two ago. The races were on in Newton, and they "guaranteed" a fare between certain times, totaling $216 over two days. I left my phone on in Newton during peek hours. A few hours went by, no pings. I drove out to Des Moines and WDSM and made $216 that single night in bring-home and tips. The next night, I brought home over $270 in Des Moines.

The Newton thing was a bust, same as the ice cream apparently. I would rather drive and make money. Even with so many new drivers in Des Moines, there is a really easy way to make money.
that's over $98k/yr which again confirms that you drivers make an avg of $90k and still seem to complain about everything

ptuberx

that's over $98k/yr which again confirms that you drivers make an avg of $90k and still seem to complain about everything
And not only was I not complaining, if you think that every driver in Des Moines is pulling in $90k/yr, you are very mistaken. I was referring only to the night/weekend in question. The amount I made is a high number, and nowhere close to a daily average for Des Moines, not even in the same ballpark for Uber drivers as a whole. This figure is a "once in a while" figure: I was using it to compare it to the guarantee for that weekend for a different venue.

Ducky

ptuberx is right. You cannot use that "once in a while" number as proof that drivers make a lot of money.

On New Year's Eve, I pulled in $350 in 3 hours of driving. (A couple of XL 8x surge fares sure helps). Does that mean I make $230,000 per year?

I would say typically I pull in $12 / $13 per hour after Uber fees but before driving expenses. Uber always conveniently forgets about driving expenses when they claim we're making more money because of more rides.

14gIV

ptuberx is right. You cannot use that "once in a while" number as proof that drivers make a lot of money.

On New Year's Eve, I pulled in $350 in 3 hours of driving. (A couple of XL 8x surge fares sure helps). Does that mean I make $230,000 per year?

I would say typically I pull in $12 / $13 per hour after Uber fees but before driving expenses. Uber always conveniently forgets about driving expenses when they claim we're making more money because of more rides.
obvisouly its possible and yet you self entitled drivers only like to complain pfffffft

ninja warrior

obvisouly its possible and yet you self entitled drivers only like to complain pfffffft
Don't listen to them, we are all making 6 figure incomes. Bankers are quitting their jobs just to come and drive with uber! No one on this board wants to let the cat out of the bag lest everyone will start driving! As stated before, blame it on the surgey!

14gIV

Don't listen to them, we are all making 6 figure incomes. Bankers are quitting their jobs just to come and drive with uber! No one on this board wants to let the cat out of the bag lest everyone will start driving! As stated before, blame it on the surgey!
i already know you guys try to scare new people from becoming drivers...greedy is greedy and you guys make bank off the surgey greedy

Adam S

How much do you make a year? If it is less than $90,000 you should quit your job and sign up to drive for Uber. Then in six months come back and tell us how you are doing. You should be about $45,000 richer at that point, so you realy have nothing to loose. The flexibility is great. What do you think?

Ducky

There is nothing "entitled" about setting the record straight. Uber advertises you can "make good money" which is only true if you're willing to work odd hours. I am getting tired of pax commenting that "you drivers do pretty good" when most drivers barely clear minimum wage after expenses.

You go ahead and take a 65% pay cut and try not to complain. obvisouly.