Uber Hertz Question (Please Help!)

Hello all,

For those of you familiar with or rent from Uber/Hertz program, please help me with some info.

So, I can only use my debit card. I understand this isn’t an issue but would my score prevent me from renting a car? I was under the impression that Hertz does a “soft check” (that still means a “no” for me, considering my score isn’t good at all). But, I read an article that compiled a number of rideshare rental options and the article states that the program doesn’t do credit check.

Can someone please tell me the deal? Thanks!

BostonTaxiDriver

Did you eventually rent?

Maybe try Lyft ExpressDrive which doesn't do a credit check, I believe.

My credit is horrible and I've always been approved there, as well as MavenGig and now Getaround.

UberSFDriver2016

Hello all,

For those of you familiar with or rent from Uber/Hertz program, please help me with some info.

So, I can only use my debit card. I understand this isn’t an issue but would my score prevent me from renting a car? I was under the impression that Hertz does a “soft check” (that still means a “no” for me, considering my score isn’t good at all). But, I read an article that compiled a number of rideshare rental options and the article states that the program doesn’t do credit check.

Can someone please tell me the deal? Thanks!
A lot of rental places are doing this now. But I guess they do that because they can't put a hold on funds on a Debit Card, which I don't understand why? What's the difference if they put a hold on $250 on CC versus taking $250 from a Debit Card for a Deposit and then refunding it once you return the car? How is a $5000 limit on a CC any different than $5000 in my Checking Account attached to the Debit Card?