• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Uber has no more cards to play

tomatopaste

Uber's business model has always been broken. However until the fatal Uber self driving car crash, there was still a glimmer of hope for Uber's survival. Not anymore. It's clear Uber will never be able to produce a commercial self driving car system able to compete with the Waymos of the world.

To stay in the game you either have to provide the car (car companies) or the self driving car system, Waymo and others. Uber provides neither. Why would investors continue to dump money into a business model that has no future? I think investors are asking themselves this same question.

SEAL Team 5

Uber doesn't need any more cards to play. They've been bluffing with the same seven deuce offset for nearly tens years now.
image.jpg

And still to this day are easily recruiting new drivers to operate their personal vehicles for less than minimum wage. Why change anything?

Autonomous vehicles will be just like Cabbage Patch dolls, a novelty. Americans will never give up their freedom of being able to jump in a vehicle and drive anywhere at any speed at any time. Do you really think Lebron James wants to ride in the same vehicle that just took one of the unwashed masses somewhere else? SDC's will be for the inner city commute only. Although I would love to see pax after a Super Bowl trying to find their Uber in a parking lot with 10,000 of the exact same Volvo autonomous vehicles.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rat

Uber's business model has always been broken. However until the fatal Uber self driving car crash, there was still a glimmer of hope for Uber's survival. Not anymore. It's clear Uber will never be able to produce a commercial self driving car system able to compete with the Waymos of the world.

To stay in the game you either have to provide the car (car companies) or the self driving car system, Waymo and others. Uber provides neither. Why would investors continue to dump money into a business model that has no future? I think investors are asking themselves this same question.
Uber has the majority of customers. Uber was never planning on manufacturing their own cars anyway

BurgerTiime

The overhead of self driving cars is not sustainable. You nailed it. You'd have to make and own the vehicles. Provide parts for cost and even then prob break even. Uber would need a fleet in 200 cities. Yeah good luck with that. Good luck keeping those cars clean, powered or gased up and Uber should be regulated like a taxi required to have 100% commercial insurance and taxi permits.

tomatopaste

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Uber has the majority of customers. Uber was never planning on manufacturing their own cars anyway
Uber was planning on cornering the entire worldwide taxi market. They've flushed billions down the toilet trying to do so.

Kalanick: what would happen if we weren't a part of that future? If we weren't part of the autonomy thing? Then the future passes us by basically, in a very expeditious and efficient way.

Kalanick was and is not stupid.

The overhead of self driving cars is not sustainable. You nailed it. You'd have to make and own the vehicles. Provide parts for cost and even then prob break even. Uber would need a fleet in 200 cities. Yeah good luck with that. Good luck keeping those cars clean, powered or gased up and Uber should be regulated like a taxi required to have 100% commercial insurance and taxi permits.
Waymo just put in an order for 20,000 Jaguar i-paces.

New York Auto Show: Google's Waymo buying 20,000 electric SUVs for driverless rides

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2018/03/27/waymo-acquiring-20-000-electric-suvs-driverless-ride-hailing-service/461537002/

Uberyouber

I hate to say it but we need driverless cars. I got stuck in traffic about 2 weeks ago. I was amazed how many bad drivers are out there. people cant drive worth a damn! either that or jack the price of gas to 4 dollars a gallon to keep drives on the road to a minimum...

tomatopaste

I hate to say it but we need driverless cars. I got stuck in traffic about 2 weeks ago. I was amazed how many bad drivers are out there. people cant drive worth a damn! either that or jack the price of gas to 4 dollars a gallon to keep drives on the road to a minimum...
Yup.

circle1

Uber was planning on cornering the entire worldwide taxi market. They've flushed billions down the toilet trying to do so.

Kalanick: what would happen if we weren't a part of that future? If we weren't part of the autonomy thing? Then the future passes us by basically, in a very expeditious and efficient way.

Kalanick was and is not stupid.

Waymo just put in an order for 20,000 Jaguar i-paces.

New York Auto Show: Google's Waymo buying 20,000 electric SUVs for driverless rides

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2018/03/27/waymo-acquiring-20-000-electric-suvs-driverless-ride-hailing-service/461537002/
I would *think* that those 20,000 will be driver-less capable. . . . Or else politicians running the big cities will have to force the issue of modifying their streets. Because people are getting killed by SDCs

tomatopaste

I would *think* that those 20,000 will be driver-less capable. . . . Or else politicians running the big cities will have to force the issue of modifying their streets. Because people are getting killed by SDCs
The only true driverless capable car on the road today is Waymo. You'll notice they didn't pull their cars off the road, didn't change a thing.

upyouruber

Uber doesn't need any more cards to play. They've been bluffing with the same seven deuce offset for nearly tens years now.
View attachment 219959
And still to this day are easily recruiting new drivers to operate their personal vehicles for less than minimum wage. Why change anything?

Autonomous vehicles will be just like Cabbage Patch dolls, a novelty. Americans will never give up their freedom of being able to jump in a vehicle and drive anywhere at any speed at any time. Do you really think Lebron James wants to ride in the same vehicle that just took Laquisha and her 8 baby daddyless kids to the welfare office? SDC's will be for the inner city commute only. Although I would love to see pax after a Super Bowl trying to find their Uber in a parking lot with 10,000 of the exact same Volvo autonomous vehicles.
Simply put, the self driving cars that Uber so desires, will be as succesful as "New" Coke and the Arch Deluxe!

Rakos

You know in the 70s....

People were starting to freak out about....

Get this....Robots...8>O

There was so much fear of the unknown....

Here we are 40 some odd years later....

Where are the robot hoardes....?????

Eventually there will be driverless cars...

Rumor has it they are here now...8>)

Butt...for the masses it seems a bit early....

Rakos
Copy of Prince-Orang--11787.jpg

Boca Ratman

Although I would love to see pax after a Super Bowl trying to find their Uber in a parking lot with 10,000 of the exact same Volvo autonomous vehicles.
A scenario like this would be easy, they wouldn't end a specific car, any one of the volvos would do. they just jump in an confirm through the app they are an account holder and go.

it's the every day life situations that will be comical. when the navigation says the drop off address is on the Expressway off ramp or the middle of a draw bridge. The temporary road construction closures. Even in the superbowl parling lot where traffic patterns are changed and go against the normal flow of traffic.

what happens when Sally passes out, how does the car wake her up?