• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Uber has been testing to see if Drivers will drive without Surge. With ACL coming up will anyone refuse to take handouts?

JustTreatMeFair

I've seen it here in Austin late at night as well as after football games and some events. The will start charging passengers and pay drivers nothing over base for a bit and then trical in some "surge" for the drivers but not what one would expect.

It's happening in other cities as well. Passenger app showing prices surged and driver app showing nothing.

It seems that there are people that will drive no matter what pennies are offered. Personally I've greatly limited what I will do outside of airport runs where I tend to accept any (looking to meet and talk to those people for other reasons)

I've asked a couple of times as people are getting in the car what they were quoted for the ride because there appears to be some problems where passengers are being grossly over charged. If their quote indicates they are paying higher than base rates and I'm getting none of it I suggest they cancel and rebook. I've canceled a few now myself as well when they won't. "Sorry man but I can't drive if the fares are not loaded correctly."

Sooner or later I will probably hear from UBER but damn them to hell, I'm driving a passenger paying 3X for a base fare plus $1.25 which I've seen.

Anyone else seeing this?

Noonespecial

Well, drivers bend over for lyft, why shouldn't uber do the same? Theres too many drivers that are willing to be exploited because they have made this their full time job.
Lyft is even worse, especially at the airport, no surge or "ppz" but on the pax app they're charging 300%.
I post over and over to not pick up at football games or when ACL is over at night or at COA. Im not the driver Uber or Lyft wants, and they have got plenty of the type they do want

Noonespecial

seeing lots of weak or no surge which means I am driving less and less which is a bummer because I like this gig
Exactly why im so frustrated with the lyft drivers. If Uber follows suit then Im 100% done and I like this gig. Lots of boring rides back and forth from new braunfels have been assuaged by having a pax, and lots of extra $$$ has been made on busy weekends.
No way in hell im doing rides at 47 cents a mile tho.

Ziggy

It was to be expected- as soon as the companies went public the shifted any sense of decency they had in exchange for pleasing shareholders. Which is why I’m hitching my wagon to the new company in the works- and while it’s an employee (job) rather than an independent contractor (gig), we should make much more than we do with the gig since they provide the cars and have really good benefits.

dssoper

It was to be expected- as soon as the companies went public the shifted any sense of decency they had in exchange for pleasing shareholders. Which is why I’m hitching my wagon to the new company in the works- and while it’s an employee (job) rather than an independent contractor (gig), we should make much more than we do with the gig since they provide the cars and have really good benefits.
New company?

Ziggy

Is it legit?
Yes. They are still in startup phase and they will not start interviewing drivers for several months; but over 2K TX drivers have applied so far and several 1K more in Florida & Tennessee. They probably will hire at least 5K in Texas

dssoper

Yes. They are still in startup phase and they will not start interviewing drivers for several months; but over 2K TX drivers have applied so far and several 1K more in Florida & Tennessee. They probably will hire at least 5K in Texas
Nice!!

Bigsk8r

Well, this is where being on RA might help. They will follow whatever Uber & Lyft put out to the pax, and we get paid based on that.

I will sit and wait for a 2x RA before I will take a less than $10 surge on ACL nights. I want money, but I'm not letting anyone pay me dimes and quarters to their dollars.

Ziggy

RA used to surge at the airport when Uber was surging, but I haven’t seen that for weeks. Still most times RA without surge is better than Uber or Lyft with surge

Bigsk8r

I also think that RA has caught on that Uber is only using the surge in 10 - 15 minute increments to get drivers attention. It isn't staying around for long periods anymore. The real problem is that many drivers will turn down RA Standard, to take an Uber X with a $6 surge.

Unless they are dropping off South of the river and coming right back, they won't do any better and punting the RA rides is literally the worst thing you could do as it erodes customer confidence at the busiest pickup location.

"Let's slap Momma in the face for $2 and see if she wants to keep giving us our allowance" :thumbdown:

JustTreatMeFair

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I've been thinking that RA has moved away from following Uber's surge and set their own up based on meeting their demand.

I think a lot of drivers sitting at the airport holding $6 or more of surge and close to getting a ride in the Uber Que pass on RA ride requests. I've caught there in the 6 to 10 spots while in the 50+ on Uber if I get there dropping an Uber and no rematch.

Bigsk8r

I've been thinking that RA has moved away from following Uber's surge and set their own up based on meeting their demand.

I think a lot of drivers sitting at the airport holding $6 or more of surge and close to getting a ride in the Uber Que pass on RA ride requests. I've caught there in the 6 to 10 spots while in the 50+ on Uber if I get there dropping an Uber and no rematch.
Last week, I had a ping from the airport after I made a drop at the domain. I declined it and immediately got another. Since I wasn't averse to going back down there, I called the guy and asked if he would wait and he said he would because Uber was "surging crazy". For the drivers, it was $11. I am sure it was far more to the pax and we are only seeing sliver of the love.

But... the airport is our most visible pickup location for making a first impression... especially with someone returning town, or using RA on a local friends advice.

Yes, I want to make good money, but I am also playing the long game with RA and want them to make it. I take all pings at the airport with them regardless of Uber surge.

Shinino

I'm off tomorrow -- how quick is it to sign up and get approved for RA? I know you have to get a Chauffer's license -- is this something I could do within an hour or two? Figured I"d better look into this before making up my mind.

Ziggy

I'm off tomorrow -- how quick is it to sign up and get approved for RA? I know you have to get a Chauffer's license -- is this something I could do within an hour or two? Figured I"d better look into this before making up my mind.
You won’t be able to complete the process by this weekend, it takes about 72 hours for the fingerprints to get back from the FBI. And then you’ll have to take a written test
Post automatically merged:

I've seen it here in Austin late at night as well as after football games and some events. The will start charging passengers and pay drivers nothing over base for a bit and then trical in some "surge" for the drivers but not what one would expect.

It's happening in other cities as well. Passenger app showing prices surged and driver app showing nothing.

It seems that there are people that will drive no matter what pennies are offered. Personally I've greatly limited what I will do outside of airport runs where I tend to accept any (looking to meet and talk to those people for other reasons)

I've asked a couple of times as people are getting in the car what they were quoted for the ride because there appears to be some problems where passengers are being grossly over charged. If their quote indicates they are paying higher than base rates and I'm getting none of it I suggest they cancel and rebook. I've canceled a few now myself as well when they won't. "Sorry man but I can't drive if the fares are not loaded correctly."

Sooner or later I will probably hear from UBER but damn them to hell, I'm driving a passenger paying 3X for a base fare plus $1.25 which I've seen.

Anyone else seeing this?
Post automatically merged:

Looks like Lyft is getting into the “no need to give drivers surge “ game.

347ABD5A-FA2F-4750-9A13-16C98995AAEE.jpeg

Last edited:

Noonespecial

Yep. Why oh why is anyone doing lyft rides??
Why? I did $176 in 6 hrs, and when I left town Uber was showing $9 surge at airport, lyft showing ZERO.
WHY WHY WHY is anybody doing lyft rides??
You are a complete tool if you do any lyft rides for the next 3 days. The uber demand will be there. Some kind of surge will be there. Why would you do no surge and 47 cents a mile??

Attachments