1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Uber has a new brand. Again.

Discussion in 'News' started by BurgerTiime, Sep 12, 2018.

1. BurgerTiime

BurgerTiime

Driving:
    Lyft
    https://www.fastcompany.com/90235065/uber-has-a-new-brand-again
    [​IMG]

This is Uber’s second major brand overhaul in less than three years. The Uber logo, in particular, has been tweaked over time, but it was still been an imposing, all-caps monolith. The word UBER was a visual manspread, evoking the members only corporate club from Uber’s roots as an on-demand black car service for Silicon Valley’s elite. The app icon was a confounding, highly controversial circuitboard thing that seemed only tangentially related.

[​IMG]
    Wolff Olins began its exploration by traveling abroad, to markets like India, to see how the Uber brand lived there. A story began to emerge. Uber messengers rode bikes in 100-degree heat, sweating through on-brand all black uniforms. Many riders and drivers could not read–and the app icon was a confusing mismatch to that Uber word mark. Vehicles would arrive and people wouldn’t know, is this my ride or not? Uber’s Silicon Valley branding didn’t scale globally.
    [​IMG]
    For nearly the past year, Wolff Olins worked with LA-based type design studio MCKL to develop a new logo and custom typeface for the company. Young points out that the old Uber logo evoked the history of cars. “You’re talking about adrenaline, letters that live on a grill. The letters are squareish and hyper masculine,” he says. “But thinking beyond the car, to flying cars, a tut tut in Delhi, or a scooter in L.A., what’s an entity that’s broad enough to be colored by all these modalities that are yet to be defined, rather than constrained…to the automotive space?”

Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
    Who is John Galt? and tohunt4me like this.
  2. Fozzie

Fozzie

Driving:
    UberX
    Yeah, this will make a world of difference for the idiots who still can't even read my license plate number properly.

Julescase, MrMikeNC, ROTA and 22 others like this.
  3. But Uber said they were sharing with me first.
    WTF Uber you lied again.
    Screenshot_20180912-105530_Email.jpg

4. CarterPeerless

CarterPeerless

Driving:
    UberXL
    Attention Uber investors - this is how your money is being spent. Or to be more exact, how your money is being wasted.

Buckiemohawk, Ziggy, KellyC and 15 others like this.
  5. Forest Young- GENIUS!!!

Forest is the young cowboy who traveled the globe (expense account style), watching young Uber boys and girls and the way the logo hung on their clothes. After sampling beers around the globe, Forest didnt just write the word Uber....he hung out with a trendy LA studio and "created a font". I can only imagine the amount of weed and booze involved in fontification.

[​IMG]

And a word about our fontificator-Jeremy Mickel

HARDWORKING, METICULOUS, INNOVATIVE
    I run MCKL, a type foundry and design studio providing custom typeface design, lettering, and logos. I've created custom fonts for top design firms Pentagram, Leo Burnett, and Turner Duckworth, and logos for Etsy, Kraft, and House Beautiful. Always 'working', but looking for fun projects too. Recently I collaborated with Forest Young to create the new Uber font. Notice my smile below....

[​IMG]

6. Lee239

Lee239

I bet that new logo cost Uber $100 million.

Ziggy, KellyC, Matthew Thomas and 8 others like this.
  7. MHR

MHR Moderator

Hyper masculine, man spread, who comes up with these words. Oh, it must have been the Fontification Group emdeplamemdeplam referenced.

8. AllGold

AllGold

It took a year traveling the world--at who knows how much expense. After all that, they came up with... a new font (not to mention the "new" font looks similar to dozens of already existing fonts.). Bravo, Uber! Bravo!

UbingInLA, Ziggy, Termie and 6 others like this.
  9. *sigh*

Burn baby burn...

We can't even make up the absurd level of company waste can we?

10. Kodyhead

Kodyhead

Driving:
    UberSUV
    More likely a lot lower amount in uber stock lol

11. JimKE

JimKE

Probably quite a bit. Although it seems pretty simple, fontification is actually much more complex than other forms of -ication.

But I guess the crux of it is where your interests lie...

12. Cdub2k

Cdub2k

I think it's mandatory for this company to introduce something new every 3 months. I've been on the platform for 14 months and this is the 3rd Logo.

3.75 and tohunt4me like this.
  13. Meanwhile the cab company i drive for replaced the logo several years ago and switched the name (which is HUGE for a taxi company) and isn't going to change the name or replace the signage on the old taxis...

HotUberMess and tohunt4me like this.
  14. KenLV

KenLV

Upon reading that sentence, I realized the article's author was a tool and I stopped reading.

15. It’s all about innovation.

Big companies are really pushing innovation.

No one wants to stay the same right now.
    So they change for the sake of changing.

16. Soon
    Soon
    It will say " DIDI"
    " Didi" of Communist China.

They will set money ablaze

Before they PAY DRIVERS !

I worked the oil field in the late 70's.

I know about Glorious Waste & Promotion.

We
    Well
    The LAST LOGO was inspired by BATHROOM FLOOR TILES while the " "artist" sat on the toilet suffering from alcohol & Cocaine induced headrush . . . .

Sooooo . . .

It also promptly inspired an Uber driver to shoot innocent people in between driving Uber passengers.

He actually sued Uber over App.

Many of us would like to . . .

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
    JimS and Cdub2k like this.
  17. uberdriverfornow

uberdriverfornow

These idiots will blow money on anything.

18. Kodyhead

Kodyhead

Driving:
    UberSUV
    Its like they somehow deleted the real logo by accident and since they had only 5 mins left till the presentation, made this new logo in a panic.

Bro Olomide, GT500KR, AllGold and 7 others like this.
  19. Taxi2Uber

Taxi2Uber

It took a year....well, a one year old, to develop the new logo.
    uber new logo.JPG

20. 1.5xorbust

1.5xorbust

This sure is exciting news. I can’t decide how to celebrate.

Julescase, GT500KR, AllGold and 2 others like this.