1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Uber has a never-ending stream of driver sexual assaults

Discussion in 'News' started by BurgerTiime, Dec 9, 2017.

1. BurgerTiime

BurgerTiime

Driving:
    Lyft
    Orlando Uber driver charged with sexual assault of passenger
    [​IMG]

ORLANDO, Fla. (AP) – A Florida Uber driver is facing charges that he sexually assaulted a drunken passenger.

The Orlando Sentinel reports that 38-year-old Jorge Alberto Antunez Quintero was charged this week with sexual battery after an investigation into the alleged May 21 attack.

The victim told Orlando police she had requested an Uber ride to a hotel. She said she felt fine but suddenly lost consciousness.

Antunez Quintero told investigators the woman asked him to pull over because she felt sick. He said she pulled up her dress and he noticed she wasn’t wearing underwear. He told them he took that as a sign she wanted sex.

He says he took her to a hotel room and undressed. He said he got on top of her but stopped because he is married.

The victim says she woke up and he told her she was dreaming.

Rakos likes this.
  2. SEAL Team 5

SEAL Team 5

Driving:
    Livery
    Every woman's dream is to be sexually assaulted by an Uber driver. Usually when a Latino is referred to by having 4 names that's an indication of only having a "Green" card and not being a citizen. But I'm sure that the thorough background check by Uber proved Mr. Quintero to be an upstanding 1st class immigrant. Uber on America!!!

Rakos likes this.
  3. BurgerTiime

BurgerTiime

Driving:
    Lyft
    Uber has no lack of excuses when it comes to thier background checks. I think they just love being sued.

Rakos, ABC123DEF, keb and 2 others like this.
  4. grams777

grams777 Moderator Author

Mostly likely they have done a cost benefit analysis and figured the damages and costs of getting sued are cheaper than more thoroughly screening drivers.

So this is an intentional risk they knowingly take in the hopes that they profit from it more than they pay for it.

It happens all the time. It’s the same dance with different performers. It works like this example of the Ford Pinto:

During production, Ford engineers discovered a major flaw in the car’s design. In rear-end crash tests, the Pinto’s fuel system would rupture extremely easily. Despite this hazardous defect, Ford officials decided to manufacture the car anyway.

Safety proved not to be a major concern in the development process. The development specifications for the Pinto were that it “was not to weigh an ounce over 2,000 pounds and not cost a cent over $2,000.”

The financial analysis that Ford conducted on the Pinto concluded that it was not cost-efficient to add an $11 per car cost in order to correct the flaw.

Benefits derived from spending this amount of money were estimated to be $49.5 million. This estimate assumed that each death, which could be avoided, would be worth $200,000, that each major burn injury that could be avoided would be worth $67,000 and that an average repair cost of $700 per car involved in a rear end accident would be avoided. It further assumed that there would be 2,100 burned vehicles, 180 serious burn injuries, and 180 burn deaths in making this calculation. When the unit cost was spread out over the number of cars and light trucks which would be affected by the design change, at a cost of $11 per vehicle, the cost was calculated to be $137 million, much greater then the $49.5 million benefit.

https://jamesptaylor.wordpress.com/2007/12/15/the-ford-pinto-and-the-price-of-life/

Last edited: Dec 10, 2017
  5. uberdriverfornow

uberdriverfornow

6. Skorpio

Skorpio

Driving:
    UberX
    Thats a bad hombre

7. Mars Troll Number 4

Mars Troll Number 4

Driving:
    Taxi
    Yes, never ending is right. Now we have another case in Dallas. This guy was already in an investigation for something else while this happened.

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/cou...-woman-sues-uber-dallas-driver-accused-raping

An elderly Tarrant County woman who told police an Uber driver raped her before dropping her off in October is suing the San Francisco company and the Dallas driver for more than $1 million.

Hashem Ramezanpour, 40, is wanted on a charge of aggravated sexual assault. Fort Worth police said he may have fled the country. He is a citizen of Iran, according to court records.

ADVERTISING

inRead invented by Teads
    [​IMG]
    Hashem Ramezanpour
    (Fort Worth Police Department)
    The 77-year-old woman -- identified in court records only as "Jane Doe" -- said in a lawsuit filed Thursday in Dallas that one of her sons used the Uber app on Oct. 22 to get her a ride from her friend's home back to her house.

Ramezanpour picked up the woman in his white 2016 Honda Civic. But instead of driving her home, Ramezanpour took the woman to a secluded wooded area, where he "viciously beat and raped her," according to the suit.

The woman's complaint alleges that lab tests confirmed Ramezanpour as her attacker.

"When Uber placed unsuspecting women such as Mrs. Doe, alone inside Hashem Ramezanpour's vehicle, it was like locking visitors at a zoo inside a hungry tiger's cage," the lawsuit reads.

Rakos likes this.
  8. mikes424

mikes424

These sexual assaults could result in a new service. For x dollars more, Uber could offer a ride with a guarantee of no rape.

Ant-Man likes this.
  9. 7Miles

7Miles

Uber has a policy of not paying drivers their fair wage. Uber drivers have a policy of showing their middle finger to Uber when it come to acceptance rate and such.
    Pay up Uber. We don’t care about you and will talk sh@t if approached by a tv station news crew. Lyft is not much better.

ABC123DEF likes this.
  10. Buckiemohawk

Buckiemohawk

Somebody asked me why Uber drivers seems to come up in the news with the words rape a lot. "Well, Timmy when you hire anybody based on a car and never met the person and required no classes or screening of the individual. This is what you get. Also when you don't have a video recording device in said vehicle its going to happen a lot." Also didn't you mother warn you never to get into a car with a stranger

Rakos likes this.
  11. TwoFiddyMile

TwoFiddyMile

Driving:
    Taxi
    This is what my female pax fear, the endless string of sexual assaults.

Many female pax get in my cab and snap a pic of my hack license which includes my photograph. It's not a pretty picture, but they are covering their ass in case something happens.
    Everyone should want to be fully licensed.

Rakos likes this.
  12. BurgerTiime

BurgerTiime

Driving:
    Lyft
  13. UBERPROcolorado

UBERPROcolorado

Driving:
    UberX
    It Appears that immigrants and minorities are involved in the majority of the assaults. I would think uber has looked at this fact and is doing something to resolve the problem.

A few months ago a female rider told me that she rides on a corporate Uber account. I will leave out the name, but they are very big. After a number of problems with drivers, nationwide, the company suggested that female riders not accept rides with minorities or foreigners of the male persuasion. Hmmm

HereComesTrouble and grams777 like this.
  14. 2Cents

2Cents

I thought that was what the "safe rides " fee was??
    Oh wait that's right... they had to legally change that to the booking fee.

15. JimS

JimS

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    Yes. Guess what? There's visibility because there is TRACEABILITY! What victim is going to take the time to get the license plate, medallion number, name, etc from a cabbie???

Oh, and the NYC Transportation Bomber was a HACK.

16. Mars Troll Number 4

Mars Troll Number 4

Driving:
    Taxi

You don't NEED all that to go after a cabbie.

Just pay with a credit card and BOOM... lighting focus on which car/driver it is.

Here in Orlandoish all the taxis are required to have a vehicle# displayed inside and outside of the car.

So the taxis i drive...

Liscense plate if you can catch it.

text with the vehicle # (if you phoned in)

Vehicle number inside/outside the car

Receipts on demand (with vehicle/driver ID #)

driver name/City badge MUST be on display on person or in the vehicle.

Tracking a taxi is easier than you would think.

phillipzx3 and TwoFiddyMile like this.
  17. TwoFiddyMile

TwoFiddyMile

Driving:
    Taxi
    Once you call a cab through the ICabbi system, the job is recorded on a database INCLUDING THE VIDEO OF THE TWO WAY WINDOW CAM FOR 72 HOURS.
    The rest of the data is forever, but pax have 3 days to get the video retrieved and saved and reviewed.
    #BetterThanUber

18. JimS

JimS

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    Taxi's don't require CC. And I doubt that he'll be swiping your card after he rapes you. Yes, after being assaulted, young 16 year olds will be looking for that license plate and/or vehicle ID #. Sheesh.

EVERY Uber/Lyft ride - properly executed - will have GPS tracking (evidence) and identification information for both the requestor and the driver. How can this possibly be more unsafe than what is being offered in the legacy system?

19. TwoFiddyMile

TwoFiddyMile

Driving:
    Taxi
    Taxis don't pick up 16 year olds.

20. Mars Troll Number 4

Mars Troll Number 4

Driving:
    Taxi
    Depends on the city...

NYC?
    Yes

Orlando?

Yes

London?

Yes

washington DC?

Yes

Boston, San Francisco, Chicago?

Yes,yes,yes

So it depends on the city... (and everywhere else the company)

When i did my podunk 1 man operation even I took credit.

It's probobly harder to find a company that doesn't than does...