Uber get RID of current Location on Passenger app

dauction

Current Locations (and pin dropping) Does NOT Work in the City ..can be off upto 200 feet ..almost an entire city Block ...Driver app will always display the wrong address ....

Yes we can find the passenger ..the issue is TIME and frustration for Driver and Passenger...the Passenger thinks it's the drivers fault ..

I try and educate every passenger that used pin drop or current location that it isn't accurate ..that's why I am at Bldg 54 and you are at Bldg 58 ..half of them ask how did you know that (that they used current location)

Merc7186

Go to pin, wait 5 minutes, collect cancel fee. That is all you have to do.

GPS has improved significantly over the years and I rarely have issues picking up and finding passengers.

This.

Why are you driving to Current Location when there is a perfectly good address provided?

User Error.

#professoruber

Ummm the address provided is wrong based on the passenger selecting "current location" instead of typing in correct address
Not your issue. Go to pin, wait, and collect. Problem solved. This is called rider behavior correction. Uber and Lyft do not educate the riders or put in technology to verify the pickup location. Let them get hit with a cancel fee or two and I can guarantee they will correct the error in their ways.

Bottom line is that choosing to do a trip where it starts badly will always end as such.

Jerrie C

Not your issue. Go to pin, wait, and collect. Problem solved. This is called rider behavior correction. Uber and Lyft do not educate the riders or put in technology to verify the pickup location. Let them get hit with a cancel fee or two and I can guarantee they will correct the error in their ways.

Bottom line is that choosing to do a trip where it starts badly will always end as such.
Yes it’s not worth 1 star review . Collect cancellation fee and on to the next

dauction

That means I would cancel 40% of my trips... Seriously it's bad here ..damn near everyone just drops a pin or uses current location. Makes no sense to cancel ..ESPECIALLY Considering most will be repeat customers. Were talking 150,000 population...not a million where you never see them again.

touberornottouber

The app it seems is just purposely bad. There are all sorts of issues like this. For example why does it not ask for a building and or apartment number at apartment complexes? I mean the app obviously knows it is an apartment so why not get this info from the passenger?!!

It seems if it doesn't cost the company money, they don't care. We are the ones who have to deal with it and waste our time for free (or nearly so).

Every programmer and designer in the company ought to be required to spend three days in a row, eight hours each day, giving people rides per month. Then things might actually get fixed!

FLKeys

Use predictive text in your phone to create a standard message to send to the PAX. Text them all the standard message. I would use the letters CYL for Confirm your location. You can link any message you want to those letters. For Example: Hi, I received you pick-up request, the GPS and pin drop service seems to be a little off today, can you please confirm your address with me via text message?

Pretty sure this will solve your issues, if it does not than a drive to the pin and cancel may be in order.

Bus Bozo

Use predictive text in your phone to create a standard message to send to the PAX. Text them all the standard message. I would use the letters CYL for Confirm your location. You can link any message you want to those letters. For Example: Hi, I received you pick-up request, the GPS and pin drop service seems to be a little off today, can you please confirm your address with me via text message?

Pretty sure this will solve your issues, if it does not than a drive to the pin and cancel may be in order.

Great idea and I may use it. However, I find an old fashioned phone call to be more time effective. If the pax doesn't answer, it's their loss!

Taxi2Uber

Go to pin, wait 5 minutes, collect cancel fee. That is all you have to do.

GPS has improved significantly over the years and I rarely have issues picking up and finding passengers.
This.

Why are you driving to Current Location when there is a perfectly good address provided?

User Error.
I'm glad in your little world, all of it comes so easily for you.
But for the rest of us, there are issues often times. And yes it is an issue of unnecessary wasted time.
Timer won't start when the pin is in the middle of an apartment complex, mall, festival, park, etc.

@Merc7186 Here are some "perfectly good" addresses provided to a driver by Uber.
These should not even be offered.

bad address.JPG

I guess @#professoruber would stop on the I-15 freeway for 5 minutes to collect the cancel fee. :rolleyes:
(BTW that rider was in a hotel, 1/4 mile from the freeway)

As for "rider behavior correction", that would work except that Uber often times just refunds the cancel fee to the rider, especially when they see the rider order another Uber right away.

Merc7186

I have had several pins dropped on interstates, easy shuffles if you ask me, pull up, pull over, put on flashers, wait minutes and collect.

dauction

That's a good temporary solution ..I'd really just like to see them do away with Pin drop and current location .. that makes the issue go away completely (or at least until they GPS is 99.9% accurate)....

When using Lyft/UBer as a passenger we all know that when you start TYPING an address after the first 2 letters all the addresses start showing up and al you have to do is Select your address..you don't even need to type a full address .So it isnt like it's difficult or anything

anyway ..I doubt they will ever fix the issue ..I just needed to vent

grayspinner

Timer won't start when the pin is in the middle of an apartment complex, mall, festival, park, etc.

You can manually swipe that you've arrived in those situations. Swipe up from the bottom to see the bar & then just swipe it to say you've arrived. Then the timer starts like normal.

I guess @#professoruber would stop on the I-15 freeway for 5 minutes to collect the cancel fee. :rolleyes:

Yes. And this is the way the app is set up. It is completely the passenger's responsibility to make sure the app has them in the right location - we drive to the pickup point and wait.

Now, you could call and see if they are somewhere else- while you are doing so, you should ask them where they are going. Then you can decide if it is worth trying to find them. Since cancellation fees are higher than minimum fares in most markets, you'll often make more money by waiting 5 minutes at the pin and cancelling as a no show.

#professoruber

I'm glad in your little world, all of it comes so easily for you.
But for the rest of us, there are issues often times. And yes it is an issue of unnecessary wasted time.

@Merc7186 Here are some "perfectly good" addresses provided to a driver by Uber.
These should not even be offered.

View attachment 314063

As for "rider behavior correction", that would work except that Uber often times just refunds the cancel fee to the rider, especially when they see the rider order another Uber right away.
I would actually not be an idiot and question the pick up location and call the rider immediately. Problem solved. By the way, the pin is not on I-15.

And regardless of apartment or whatever excuse you want to make, I have zero issues collecting my cancel fees with a simple help ticket. Drivers like you will continually enable riders.

Last edited:

FLKeys

Markets are different. In my market it is worth it to quickly locate the pax and do the trip over the cancel fee. I use my method mentioned above to accomplish this. More often than not these are the ones that tip me because I made a little effort unlike the last driver that cancelled on them to collect the fee because of address/GPS issues. Now when I am in the Miami market, well that is a whole different game. Drive to pin/address, wait out timer, cancel and move on to next ping.

I find no fault in someone trying to make the most out of their market, even if it conflicts with what works in my market or some other market.

UberNLV

I'm glad I'm not the only one who deals with this. And mostly it just depends how I feel at the time. Sometimes I drive to where the person is at. Once I collected cancelation fee twice in a row from the same guy because he wouldn't update pick up location.
I don't mind driving to where passenger is at so much but many don't understand the app and blame the driver. Yesterday I made a template message to send passengers who don't have right pick up location.

"Your driver is at the pickup location you approved Uber to set.
You'll need to update your pickup location in the app prior to your driver proceeding to your actual pickup location.
Once updated it may take your driver up to ten minutes or longer to arrive at the updated location."

Taxi2Uber

I would actually not be an idiot and question the pick up location and call the rider immediately. Problem solved. By the way, the pin is not on I-15.

And regardless of apartment or whatever excuse you want to make, I have zero issues collecting my cancel fees with a simple help ticket. Drivers like you will continually enable riders.
Again, I'm super glad you have "zero issues" in your Utopia.
Unfortunately, just because you think you have "zero issues", doesn't mean an issue doesn't exist for some of us outside your little world.

#professoruber

Again, I'm super glad you have "zero issues" in your Utopia.
Unfortunately, just because you think you have "zero issues", doesn't mean an issue doesn't exist for some of us outside your little world.
Manage your rides and issues and majority of the crap ceases to exist. I have alleviated many issues in my little world by choosing when, where, and who to drive. By the way, I don’t drive X at all and that makes my world just a little smaller.

It’s great when I run on average 20-30 rides per week to make the same amount as most ants.

Most ants don’t want to think or have a strategy and play victim to Uber and inevitably blame Uber.

Reality is that the issue is not Uber. It’s GPS that is dependent on the signal and device and GPS technology that is controlled by the government. The issue is the rider being lazy or not knowing and a cancel fee will push them to figure it out.

Just happened to me this afternoon. Pickup was at a business at a shopping center. App just gave the address. Had to message the rider to ask where they were- then they told me. If I would have known the business name, I would have arrived quicker.