Uber full-timer's concerns

Assange

Dear ppl of this forum,

So, my dad has been driving uber as a FT for the past 8 weeks. He intends to drive for UBER FT. However, he has some concerns that maybe some of you can answer.

1) Its been noticed that UBER reduces incentives for 'older' drivers in their system; CashKing differs wildly for new UBER drivers, is this reduction of incentives set to last? Or reduced to the point where it is no longer financially viable to be driving for UBER.

2) He noted that a private car UBER driver mentioning about getting less 'pings' while using his private car to drive for UBER while my dad, who drives a LCR car, get pings non-stop. This brings us to the question, does UBER classifies drivers according to LCR and Private car, giving more rides to LCR drivers? (this is asked cause my dad wishes to buy a new car to FT UBER)

3) Is Grab better than UBER in the long run? Or does Grab reduces incentives accordingly like UBER does.

4) According to your own experiences, which platform is better?

I know this post is quite lengthy but I just wish to help my dad out as he has these concerns but not sure how to find answers to them. Thanks.

4566x

Dear ppl of this forum,

So, my dad has been driving uber as a FT for the past 8 weeks. He intends to drive for UBER FT. However, he has some concerns that maybe some of you can answer.

1) Its been noticed that UBER reduces incentives for 'older' drivers in their system; CashKing differs wildly for new UBER drivers, is this reduction of incentives set to last? Or reduced to the point where it is no longer financially viable to be driving for UBER.

2) He noted that a private car UBER driver mentioning about getting less 'pings' while using his private car to drive for UBER while my dad, who drives a LCR car, get pings non-stop. This brings us to the question, does UBER classifies drivers according to LCR and Private car, giving more rides to LCR drivers? (this is asked cause my dad wishes to buy a new car to FT UBER)

3) Is Grab better than UBER in the long run? Or does Grab reduces incentives accordingly like UBER does.

I know this post is quite lengthy but I just wish to help my dad out as he has these concerns but not sure how to find answers to them. Thanks.
1. Cash King on the surface is an incentive program. But deeper down its a test carrot program. its main objective is to weed out the unmotivated nonperformers. what is unmotivated nonperformers. in the rawest form, its a desperation test, based on known psychological studies. if the less motivation a subject received, rationally speaking the subject would more likely to move on to where there is more motivation. but if the subject does not move on readily, it confirms the subject is either rooted (conformed) or there is no better motivation elsewhere. hence fundamentally the longer the subject is stuck, the greater the desperation must be. in the long past, farmers use to whip their poultry harder and harder so that they "learnt" there can be no greener grass than the farmer backyard. Today the Thais still does it to baby elephants they catch until the poor things gave up the idea of escaping back into the wild altogether and submit themselves fully (and un-willfully) to a lifetime of hard labour until they literally collapse (and so the next one steps up..). obviously the same application still works over centuries and now on humans. In the most ideal situation, if I am a boss, I want a worker who willing to work more and more for lesser and lesser..until the worker is so cheap to me the boss that the worker would be almost as good as free! My whole management framework (which actually mostly comprise of labour) would be so much simpler..HR, Operations, Accounting shrunken and streamlined..and all I need is focus on 1 thing and 1 thing only. SALES!..which profits ME and me the boss directly.

In your situation, now in the 8th week, ask your dad, does he feel like he can drive like last week (7th). If he says yes..
Then next week in the 9th week, even if indeed the incentives are even lower, ask your dad again, the same question, does he feel like he can drive like last week (8th)
if yes, ask again the same question every other week he replied yes.
At some point he says no (and actually stick with no), then theres your answer if he feel its fair or viable.

2. YES.

All Drivers are equal. Some more equal than the Others.

If you (your dad) feel you (he) wish to be more equal, then you (he) know who to look.

[btw, THAT COMPANY thank you for helping raise this issue up in publicly so that EVERYONE sees it and understand it thoroughly like you (and your dad) now.]

[btw2, all along the main bulk of earning in this trade is NOT the fares. its the rental contract that says X weeks, to Y months to Z years..thats where the big bucks. NOT the stupid 10 20 30% cut on a that even stupider shared ride..]

3. Refer to Point 1.

Ask yourself. If the Farmer keep whipping the beast, isnt he afraid the beast will run? The problem to the beast is not how will the Farmer treat the beast, isnt it clear, the Farmer has been whipping it for 8 weeks.

The problem the beast has is why is the Farmer so confident of CONTINUING to whip it?
There lies your answer.

[I take away the burden of guesswork and tell you straight. If you have left, you would have left, its those who stay that they want AND KNOW CAN AND WILL WORK FOR THEM. This Farmer is very confident the NEXT FARMER is neither an angel.]

4. The Answer is right above.

A bit of summary in case you still havent get it. This is a trade founded on bad times. It relies heavily on people who are cut fats, or undesired or unapplicable for almost any other form of contribution to society, but yet these people still got hands legs still had got to feed themselves. aka DESPERATE.

In fact their system had even factored for another kind of people. People who do something for the sake or passion of doing it. Hence the system has been designed in such way to lower the fares, the incentives so drastically, and up the labour and the hours committed til even if the most passionate retiree gives up very soon, FEELING VERY STUPID.

last words, anyone feel otherwise, feel free to speak up (and contravene). please. or else please continue "driving"

zOrPhLiNg

Your dad worked corporate so long and can't even secure another job? What has he been doing his entire life beside creating a son like you.

Or he worked as a blue collar for his entire life and can't even master a skill to save his life and have to resort to driving?

Or he have too much money and find retirement bored and hence just drive for fun and talk to people. But in this case, all your questions won't be valid if monetary is not of concern.

4566x

Your dad worked corporate so long and can't even secure another job? What has he been doing his entire life beside creating a son like you.

Or he worked as a blue collar for his entire life and can't even master a skill to save his life and have to resort to driving?

Or he have too much money and find retirement bored and hence just drive for fun and talk to people. But in this case, all your questions won't be valid if monetary is not of concern.
no need blast TS la. thats not his main issues [which I think I had addressed].

Observingonly

This whole thing is a complex psychological play. You won't know what will come out next. Once trapped, you won't see the alternatives, even when there is such thing as a taxi industries next to you, you will just frown at it.

So keep asking why this and that your cash kings are this week and the next and keep wondering it was your wrong understanding and wrong doing that has resulted it. You will or have already submitted yourself to this complicated, gigantic psychological trap and be enslaved for the rest of your life.

renyeo

Thoroughly enjoyed reading! 4566x is probably correct on the motivation bits. Incentives are used as indicators to show up/differentiate hardworking and lazy drivers (whom I am one).

Also, I am beginning to entertain the conspiracy theories (my own out of experience) that profitable pings (based on estimated upfront fares) are allocated on more frequent basis/given priority to the hardworkers and or full-time drivers over lazier ones and part timers such as UFC members. Of course being conspiracy sums the truth will never be known. Like fate of all passengers on the four planes.

It's fair to say Uber's corporate ethos is to create cheap if not free labor out of its drivers. Like unilateral relationship between the farmer and cow.

Last edited:

Ultimate Warrior

Dear ppl of this forum,

1) CK is an extra incentive...like a performance bonus...that lowers as soon as you achieve it. Uber is the worst boss...it doesn't value loyalty. In fact is just the opposite.

2) Pings depend on the driver's CR imo. The more you cancel...the longer the pings come in.

3) Grab gives better incentive and higher non-surge fare but has a smaller market share. Doing both is the best I think. Just that grab still can't resolve a simple thing like iphone app, which brings me to the question of reliability of grab.

4) If your dad's car is beat up, it's OK for him TO work FT, otherwise don't. Encourage him to do it PT instead. BTW, was he a former cabby before?

5) You didn't ask this which is more important than the other questions. You will notice (if you keep track) that uber cheats on pings, surge, fare calculation and reimbursement of erp. Getting uber to make up the difference can be a chore cos uber hires young link staff who are still latching on to their mother's teats and haven't grown half a ball yet. You have to have hardcore evidence when claiming your right. (Now you understand why I said uber is the worst boss). My advice is to take pics of pings and be very sure of your erp.

Observingonly

You all are just Uber's chess pieces.

Keep receiving pings non-stop and going home dead tired everyday is what Uber wants of you because your mind will stop thinking. Uber doesn't need drivers who can think.

Last edited:

Ubercheaposcum

Very cheem until cannot cheem anymore,very interesting replies from 4566X.He seems like a veteran that has seen it all.I wonder what Mr Nochoice's weightage will be on this

Assange

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

He used to be a projects manager for a CCTV company that oversees the completion of said projects. He was tired of the previous job and wanted to do UBER FT as a change, reasons being more flexible timings and quite 'easy' compared to his previous job.

1) CK is an extra incentive...like a performance bonus...that lowers as soon as you achieve it. Uber is the worst boss...it doesn't value loyalty. In fact is just the opposite.

2) Pings depend on the driver's CR imo. The more you cancel...the longer the pings come in.

3) Grab gives better incentive and higher non-surge fare but has a smaller market share. Doing both is the best I think. Just that grab still can't resolve a simple thing like iphone app, which brings me to the question of reliability of grab.

4) If your dad's car is beat up, it's OK for him TO work FT, otherwise don't. Encourage him to do it PT instead. BTW, was he a former cabby before?

5) You didn't ask this which is more important than the other questions. You will notice (if you keep track) that uber cheats on pings, surge, fare calculation and reimbursement of erp. Getting uber to make up the difference can be a chore cos uber hires young link staff who are still latching on to their mother's teats and haven't grown half a ball yet. You have to have hardcore evidence when claiming your right. (Now you understand why I said uber is the worst boss). My advice is to take pics of pings and be very sure of your erp.
No, he's not a former cabby. I would definitely share with him the fare claims thing you've mentioned :smiles: thanks for your constructive comments.

1. Cash King on the surface is an incentive program. But deeper down its a test carrot program. its main objective is to weed out the unmotivated nonperformers. what is unmotivated nonperformers. in the rawest form, its a desperation test, based on known psychological studies. if the less motivation a subject received, rationally speaking the subject would more likely to move on to where there is more motivation. but if the subject does not move on readily, it confirms the subject is either rooted (conformed) or there is no better motivation elsewhere. hence fundamentally the longer the subject is stuck, the greater the desperation must be. in the long past, farmers use to whip their poultry harder and harder so that they "learnt" there can be no greener grass than the farmer backyard. Today the Thais still does it to baby elephants they catch until the poor things gave up the idea of escaping back into the wild altogether and submit themselves fully (and un-willfully) to a lifetime of hard labour until they literally collapse (and so the next one steps up..). obviously the same application still works over centuries and now on humans. In the most ideal situation, if I am a boss, I want a worker who willing to work more and more for lesser and lesser..until the worker is so cheap to me the boss that the worker would be almost as good as free! My whole management framework (which actually mostly comprise of labour) would be so much simpler..HR, Operations, Accounting shrunken and streamlined..and all I need is focus on 1 thing and 1 thing only. SALES!..which profits ME and me the boss directly.

In your situation, now in the 8th week, ask your dad, does he feel like he can drive like last week (7th). If he says yes..
Then next week in the 9th week, even if indeed the incentives are even lower, ask your dad again, the same question, does he feel like he can drive like last week (8th)
if yes, ask again the same question every other week he replied yes.
At some point he says no (and actually stick with no), then theres your answer if he feel its fair or viable.

2. YES.

All Drivers are equal. Some more equal than the Others.

If you (your dad) feel you (he) wish to be more equal, then you (he) know who to look.

[btw, THAT COMPANY thank you for helping raise this issue up in publicly so that EVERYONE sees it and understand it thoroughly like you (and your dad) now.]

[btw2, all along the main bulk of earning in this trade is NOT the fares. its the rental contract that says X weeks, to Y months to Z years..thats where the big bucks. NOT the stupid 10 20 30% cut on a that even stupider shared ride..]

3. Refer to Point 1.

Ask yourself. If the Farmer keep whipping the beast, isnt he afraid the beast will run? The problem to the beast is not how will the Farmer treat the beast, isnt it clear, the Farmer has been whipping it for 8 weeks.

The problem the beast has is why is the Farmer so confident of CONTINUING to whip it?
There lies your answer.

[I take away the burden of guesswork and tell you straight. If you have left, you would have left, its those who stay that they want AND KNOW CAN AND WILL WORK FOR THEM. This Farmer is very confident the NEXT FARMER is neither an angel.]

4. The Answer is right above.

A bit of summary in case you still havent get it. This is a trade founded on bad times. It relies heavily on people who are cut fats, or undesired or unapplicable for almost any other form of contribution to society, but yet these people still got hands legs still had got to feed themselves. aka DESPERATE.

In fact their system had even factored for another kind of people. People who do something for the sake or passion of doing it. Hence the system has been designed in such way to lower the fares, the incentives so drastically, and up the labour and the hours committed til even if the most passionate retiree gives up very soon, FEELING VERY STUPID.

last words, anyone feel otherwise, feel free to speak up (and contravene). please. or else please continue "driving"
Thank you for taking time to read and respond to my questions. I will convey your points to my dad :smiles: THANKS !!!

no need blast TS la. thats not his main issues [which I think I had addressed].
Ya lo, was asking legit questions and along comes this @@@@@@ that replies with an answer that is so salty that puts the dead sea to shame .

Thoroughly enjoyed reading! 4566x is probably correct on the motivation bits. Incentives are used as indicators to show up/differentiate hardworking and lazy drivers (whom I am one).

Also, I am beginning to entertain the conspiracy theories (my own out of experience) that profitable pings (based on estimated upfront fares) are allocated on more frequent basis/given priority to the hardworkers and or full-time drivers over lazier ones and part timers such as UFC members. Of course being conspiracies the truth will never be known. Like the fate of all passengers on the four planes.

It's fair to say Uber's corporate ethos is create cheap if not free labor out of its drivers. Like the relationship between farmer and cow.
So according to my dad he has spoken to many uber drivers in our vicinity. Drivers with lower ratings gets less pings. Drivers that don't drive often gets less pings. Wonder if it is the same for LCR cars and private cars; with LCR cars getting more pings.

Another question for those who have replied, how long have you guys been driving for UBER

Ultimate Warrior

I don't think the part of fewer pings for PT drivers is true. If you haven't been driving for several weeks, you'll get a message from uber encouraging you to drive. If they're gonna send you fewer pings then all the more these PT drivers won't drive often. Think they send you pings based on AR and CR.

4566x

I feel like solving a lot of "mystery" with this 1 single thread. TS question came very timely. I am in Revelation Mood!

anyone who wants to find out the roots (and future) of this trade probably no need refer other threads which in time will become more and more like subthreads, just start with this and the rest funny sh!t will fall into place..all the pieces coming together like a gigantic jigsaw that nobody saw coming

Both so free
actually FREE is a good thing in this trade. if not free can only means 1 other thing which is exact opposite.

SLAVE.

(people who know I am talking will know. people who still dont know, I am happy that you are going to find out for yourself SOON)

4566x

This whole thing is a complex psychological play. You won't know what will come out next. Once trapped, you won't see the alternatives, even when there is such thing as a taxi industries next to you, you will just frown at it.

So keep asking why this and that your cash kings are this week and the next and keep wondering it was your wrong understanding and wrong doing that has resulted it. You will or have already submitted yourself to this complicated, gigantic psychological trap and be enslaved for the rest of your life.

its because i came across some your posts, thats why i post. in a way u r my inspiration.

just between the 2 of us, its amazing how many bozos there are in this world (and calling themselves "High Earning Bosses")

Also, I am beginning to entertain the conspiracy theories (my own out of experience) that profitable pings (based on estimated upfront fares) are allocated on more frequent basis/given priority to the hardworkers and or full-time drivers over lazier ones and part timers such as UFC members. Of course being conspiracies the truth will never be known. Like the fate of all passengers on the four planes.

It's fair to say Uber's corporate ethos is create cheap if not free labor out of its drivers. Like the relationship between farmer and cow.

from what I read you have a great positive attitude, whoever have you working for them is bless

but i feel for you that you have to drive PT which..you have just recently found out for yourself, aka CK, those people who pull the strings from behind the scene treat fringe workers like sh!t, expendables is what they term these folks

35 to 50 is a 42% markup...in other words. you just been slashed 42% in just 1 week.

You all are just Uber's chess pieces.

Keep receiving pings non-stop and going home dead tired everyday is what Uber wants of you because your mind will stop thinking. Uber doesn't need drivers who can think.
FANTASTIC STATEMENT. couldnt put it better, simpler.

in fact, these people are SCARE of thinkers like us

Ubercheaposcum

Great analysis,I have to say.But not many people will read deep into it.For TS dad to hop straight into PH instead of considering other jobs or even taxis is a mystery and if he has been driving for 8 weeks and intends to go on FT.He has already been enslaved to Uber's culture

4566x

Very cheem until cannot cheem anymore,very interesting replies from 4566X.He seems like a veteran that has seen it all.I wonder what Mr Nochoice's weightage will be on this

to a nonthinker yes all that said might seems excessive (or even irrelevant!) all they think is where is the next surge. whats the next CK tier. would i hit that quest bonus?? what if i get complain (ohh interesting topic, come to that later..)

these folks have completely no urge or drive (the irony) to discover for themselves whats the mudpit they have gotten themselves...until eventually they accept they belong to the swamp..WHICH IS WHAT THE RINGMASTER WANTS.

the Ringmaster drives (haha another irony) the slaves so hard that the slaves only see Sun Rise and Sun Set. everything else in between is just a flurry of actions day in day out. but most of the workers here are already used to such treatment isnt it.. LIVE TO EAT. EAT TO LIVE.

but 2 primary reasons why the carrot of private hire works here.
1. Everyone UNQUESTIONABLY accepts the public perceived value of a Car.
2. There is an ABUNDANCE of underpaid/unpaid people with going costs, such as housing, family, retirement..because its been ingrained into the people NOBODY WILL TAKE CARE OF YOU. the Desperation factor is already there..all it needs is Harvesting to bring it out.

Harvesting means flashing in big bold words on front page of the only print in town.
VEZEL FOR $49/DAY. DRIVE AWAY for $500. DRIVE BACK ANYTIME!

the trick to great advertising is TELL THE TRUTH IN A LIE.

LeSaux

Great analysis,I have to say.But not many people will read deep into it.For TS dad to hop straight into PH instead of considering other jobs or even taxis is a mystery and if he has been driving for 8 weeks and intends to go on FT.He has already been enslaved to Uber's culture
FB just got someone post uber driver avoiding her and shouting vulgarities after she was late for 10 minutes. With this kind of cheapo riders that uber attracts, do you still want to drive for them?

UnG

So according to my dad he has spoken to many uber drivers in our vicinity. Drivers with lower ratings gets less pings. Drivers that don't drive often gets less pings. Wonder if it is the same for LCR cars and private cars; with LCR cars getting more pings.
Im not sure if this is true but being a low rating rider or driver, u will likely to get cancellation on your request...unless its a perfect matched...:biggrin:

Ubercheaposcum

FB just got someone post uber driver avoiding her and shouting vulgarities after she was late for 10 minutes. With this kind of cheapo riders that uber attracts, do you still want to drive for them?
The funny thing is that whatever happens such as being treated by these cheapos as a low life,people are still loving and driving it.With the stupid ratings and all,how low can a human go just to earn a decent living?