Uber for Welfare: "Uber/Lyft Drivers make $19/Hour"

chi1cabby

Uber for welfare
A bold proposal to use the “gig economy” to reboot the safety net.
By Derek Khanna (Twitter @DerekKhanna) & Cesar Conda (Twitter @CesarConda)

"What do these jobs look like? For those willing and able to drive, Uber and Lyft enlist anyone to be a driver — assuming they pass a background check — and offers special financing or rental discounts for vehicles. Currently, the average Uber driver makes about $19 an hour, and in cities like Los Angeles and New York, their earnings are even higher."

chi1cabby

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
It's been over a year since that was possible in L.A.... must have gotten the number from a craigslist ad!
The last study of Uber Drivers Earnings was done by Alan Krueger for Uber, and was released in Jan 2015. It was complied using data from Oct 2014 in Uber's 20 biggest markets. Since then, there have been at least 2 Rate Cuts in most markets that have slashed Drivers' Earnings by AT LEAST 40%.
(Edited) Uber Study: UberX Drivers Grossed $16.50/Hr (B4 Expenses) In Oct 2014 In 20 Biggest Markets
screen_shot_20150123_at_4.34.53_pm.png.CROP.promovar-mediumlarge.34.53_pm.png

cleansafepolite

There is this new thing where the news is being used as advertizing space. The statistics are skewed and the color of the language used . I have yet to see a derogitory article on uber that does not get fluffed up with "facts" showing how great uber is. If you never worked for uber and only read the news Uber is portrayed as an UNDERDOG, fighting on all fronts to provide public transportation and good paying jobs. If people are going to question the validity of the article, they should also question the integrity and motivation of the author. Dont just post saying that the article is false, post asking the source of the article how much uber pays them to lie.

mara

Los Angeles city Hall created low income uber army. Now they have to pay all benefits. Would be nice if someone smart will claim them because they allowed this company run business without testing. Stupid leadership.

chi1cabby

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
These are Uber's Guarantees for Pittsburgh Drivers after the 1/9/16 Rate Cuts:
12525377_10207167852971464_3732303127012686171_o.jpg

The Guarantee amounts are in "Fares", before $1.60/Ride Safe Rides Fee & Uber's 25% commission for New Drivers is deducted. Does that sound like Pittsburgh Drivers are earning $19/Hour? Uber won't even guarantee these Drivers minimum wage before any of Drivers' operating costs are accounted for!

Last edited:

excel2345

Another thing, I'm pretty sure the $19/hr is when you are driving, doesn't count all the time you might be online waiting for the elusive ping!

Novus Caesar

Another thing, I'm pretty sure the $19/hr is when you are driving, doesn't count all the time you might be online waiting for the elusive ping!
If it is like where I live, you just have to be online. Now, where I am you must accept 90% of all rides and have a completion rate of 25%. Further, you have to have at least one ride per hour.

Onthelake56

These are Uber's Guarantees for Pittsburgh Drivers after the 1/9/16 Rate Cuts:
View attachment 25807
The Guarantee amounts are in "Fares", before $1.60/Ride Safe Rides Fee & Uber's 25% commission for New Drivers is deducted. Does that sound like Pittsburgh Drivers are earning $19/Hour? Uber won't even guarantee these Drivers minimum wage before any of Drivers' operating costs are accounted for!
No guarantee available in Charlotte NC market. Wish there was. After cost deductions, I'm below min wage. I'm disabled and only drive PT for extra grocery money.