1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Uber fights off scammers every day. Here's how it learned the tricks...

Discussion in 'New Jersey' started by mikewithebike, Jun 14, 2018.

1. mikewithebike

mikewithebike Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
  2. I_Like_Spam

I_Like_Spam Well-Known Member

Uber does its best to scam the pax and the partners, the partners are looking to take advantage of the pax and Uber, the passengers are looking to scam Uber and the partners.

Its a never ending battle, and with each group aiming their computers and wits at each other, looking to scam the others both legally or otherwise.

Mr. Taxi likes this.
  3. mikewithebike

mikewithebike Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    It's a vicious cycle...

4. ToughTommy

ToughTommy Well-Known Member

First summer I drove -15-
    I'm outside Porta and a driver sees me and chats me up. Shows me his spoof phone where it showed his car in Spring Lake miles away. Hope he got nailed eventually

mikewithebike likes this.
  5. Lightning1181

Lightning1181 Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    I’m still here

njctuberx likes this.

6. SuzeCB

SuzeCB Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Uber only cares about that stuff when customers complain about not getting rides, or the app telling them the driver is 5 minutes away when s/he's really 20 minutes away. That's not going to happen at Porta.

The type of spoofing you describe is to help build surge. Uber makes more money from that behavior (or did in 2015 anyway), so, again, how much do you think they really cared?

njctuberx likes this.
  7. Y0d4

Y0d4 Active Member

From what I can tell I don’t think Uber likes surge I could be wrong but just look at the 3 trip bonuses they do everyday why do that if they like it

8. SuzeCB

SuzeCB Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Because they hold all the cards on the three trip bonuses. They can withhold that last ride anytime they wish, or they can virtually guarantee you will take whatever rides they send to you while you're chasing that bonus. You can get those rides that nobody else wants.

9. I_Like_Spam

I_Like_Spam Well-Known Member

Uber really isn't in the business of losing money- even if they have been.

If- because of a trip bonus- they will lose money by dispatching the trip to you, their algorithm is designed to try and prevent that from happening.

10. Caspita

Caspita Well-Known Member

I’ve been many times shy of 1-2 trips for those weekend bonuses (15, 25 trips, etc), so when that’s the case I go out Sun late afternoon looking for those 1-2 minimum fares... I can honestly say I get probably 3-4 45+ before getting a regular one and I’m still afraid they’ll get me, I usually let 2-3 more pings go out of feat and pay close attention to the pick ups in the map in case U is trying to squeeze one hiding the LT tag... yes, they try to make sure that bonus doesn’t come from their pocket at all!

11. Y0d4

Y0d4 Active Member

If you cancel the ride it won’t take out the streak but it does burn cancels personally I don’t bother with it all those places are hellholes with traffic and other great stuff

12. polar2017

polar2017 Well-Known Member

The best was when the 3 streak bonus you could game the system. Drive through the zone, trip the system and pick outside the zone and stay in the promo.