Uber (false accusations)

Hi,
Couple of days ago I received a message from uber with a warning, that I am asking pax to cancel the trips, which is just a white lie. I never ask riders to cancel but I do it myself, if a particular destination doesn't suit me. No doubt I am a bit choosy in accepting and completing rides to keep the feelings of so called independent contractor alive.

Pax Hack

You're not allowed to cherry pick rides, whether you cancel or have the rider cancel. Keep it up and you'll be deactivated. Or worse.

JimKE

Hi,
Couple of days ago I received a message from uber with a warning, that I am asking pax to cancel the trips, which is just a white lie. I never ask riders to cancel but I do it myself, if a particular destination doesn't suit me. No doubt I am a bit choosy in accepting and completing rides to keep the feelings of so called independent contractor alive.
You're an independent contractor, so do whatever you want. Your strategy, however, is virtually certain to lead to permanent deactivation if you do it very often...and especially if you do it at airports.

dryverjohn

Hi,

I cancel all the time, we are 1099 contractors. With the new DF policy I call the customer and cancel if I don't like the direction they are heading, next.

Lissetti

Rebel Honey Badger
Article Manager
Hi,
Cancel as you please, never speak or write that you do cancel or why. Uber can't deactivate you if you just happen to suddenly had to get to a toilet because of that Taco Truck meal....:wink:

Proof is on Uber as to why you cancelled. Never admit to being selective. Not to Uber, not to pax. Where I live we have a 2nd Uber HQ and many times I've given uber employees rides. They only admit this at the end of the trip though. The whole ride they are asking me questions about how I like driving for Uber and do I also do Lyft. Every time a pax asks me too many questions about how I like driving for either Uber or Lyft, I keep in mind they could possibly be an employee.

JimKE

I cancel all the time, we are 1099 contractors. With the new DF policy I call the customer and cancel if I don't like the direction they are heading, next.
Do you explain to the pax why you are canceling?
Do you even tell them you're going to cancel?
Do you call on every ride? Airport rides? 45+ rides only?
What are your criteria for calling?

The reason I ask those questions is that I think your strategy will be mine as well if we get either of the DF BS things they are testing. I will simply not be driving rides that will take me out of my preferred area with no reasonable way of working my way back.
Post automatically merged:

Cancel as you please, never speak or write that you do cancel or why. Uber can't deactivate you if you just happen to suddenly had to get to a toilet because of that Taco Truck meal....:wink:

Proof is on Uber as to why you cancelled.
I'm not sure you are correct. I've read many threads where some driver got deactivated for "cherry-picking" just from the pattern Uber identified. They warned OP based on the pattern they saw.

Uber doesn't have to prove anything to anyone. We are at-will independent contractors. They can deactivate us at any moment for good reason, bad reason, or no reason at all.

Nats121

They can deactivate us at any moment for good reason, bad reason, or no reason at all.
That's pretty much correct, and that's what uber has done for the most part, but they're also mindful that at any time, the govt could crack down on their "independent contractor" scam. That's the reason uber backed off from firing drivers over low acceptance rates.
Uber doesn't have to prove anything to anyone
As I pointed out above, that's correct to a point.
We are at-will independent contractors.
Hardly. There are several criteria that are supposed to be met before a worker can be classified as an IC, and uber fails to meet most of them. Fortunately for uber, the govt has looked the other way or misinterpreted the laws, but as NYC and possibly Connecticut are showing, that could change.
The reason I ask those questions is that I think your strategy will be mine as well if we get either of the DF BS things they are testing. I will simply not be driving rides that will take me out of my preferred area with no reasonable way of working my way back.
I agree, and the fact that uber is able to hide destinations from drivers who are supposed to be IC business owners gives lie to uber's claims that we're not employees.

Employees such as UPS drivers, pizza drivers, mail carriers, etc don't have to be told in advance where they're going, because as employees, their job is to go where they're told.

That's not the way it's supposed to be with drivers who are supposedly business owners. You can't make intelligent business decisions without the necessary info, and knowing destinations in advance is vital in order to make an intelligent business decision.

From day one I've always hated not knowing the destinations.

Screening by phone is riskier than screening at the pickup spot because all calls go thru uber, and thus leave a "call trail" that can be detected by uber's algorithms.

touberornottouber

I tell the passenger to cancel all the time. But it is usually because they reversed the source and destination pin (I'm not driving 3 miles for free) or because they are asking me to pick up their order at Dunkin Donuts or something. It's as a favor to them that I tell them to cancel right away because if they do it within two minutes of my accepting the request it is my understanding that they will not be charged fro the cancel.

JimKE

Screening by phone is riskier than screening at the pickup spot because all calls go thru uber, and thus leave a "call trail" that can be detected by uber's algorithms.
Agree, and that's why canceling at pickup is probably what I'll do rather than calling.

I don't think cancellations generally are a big problem. What's a problem is canceling a large percentage of your accepted rides, I think.

In my case, as a part-time driver, I don't expect to rack up a high percentage of canceled rides.

But IF Uber goes through with either of their two stupid DF plans (eliminating DF entirely, or paying a lower rate for DF rides), I WILL be canceling rides which will take me far away with no way to work my way back.

In my market, we get $0.625 per mile for X...which is just 4.25 pennies above the IRS deduction rate for 2019. 30% off our X rate (the LOWEST deduction Uber has been using for DF rides) would be $0.4375 per mile -- almost 15 cents per mile below what the IRS says it costs to drive your car for business purposes.

I'm not driving for -15 cents per mile, so I can't take rides out of my normal driving area. Simple math.