Uber Exec Adjusts Buddies Star Rating

Yankee

I cannot confirm if this was a hoax, but these guys seemed completely real, and totally uninterested in pretending they weren't as entitled as they presented themselves to be. Starts out with a ping I get in the hoity-toity part of town, about 20 min drive through the hills outside of downtown. I get the ping because I happened to be within 10 min. Didn't want to drive through these hills crawling with deer, but its been slow so I took it. The guy had a 4.5 rating. I've had cases where people with low ratings turned out to be very cool so I took my chances. But here, I arrive to a group of 6 mildly drunk 20-somethings. These are not small dudes, so they're on top of each other in the back, laughing their asses off. The car reeks of booze. I'm not having it. I say "No." They try pleading, then Mr. Big Shot tries to bribe me with $20, but no. The chances of getting pulled over up there is high, and I'm not taking more people than I have seat-belts. I'm not happy, but one guy gets out to call another Uber, and I still get the fare. I inform Mr. Big Shot that his 4.5 might be the result of this sort of b.s. The conversation into town focuses around the star rating system. Then the group starts casually discussing another buddy who "amazingly" decided to quit his job and ended up becoming "the #3 guy in Uber." As in, ALL of Uber. I'm listening to the conversation and they seem to be talking about a real person they're friends with. Then suddenly Mr. Big Shot casually remarks, "you know, I'm just gonna call him and he'll fix my rating for me." I really thought he was full of shit, so I disregarded it, and went back to the conversation. He gets quiet and starts texting. Just before getting out of my car, he holds up his phone and shows me a text conversation with said friend (#3 in Uber), where he asks to have his low ratings wiped out. And Mr. #3 replies, "Done". Mr. Big Shot looks at me and laughs, says, "told ya". And those entitled asses get out of my car. Of course, I got dinged pretty good by someone tonight, gee I wonder if I can call someone at Uber and get it "fixed"?

Fuzzyelvis

I cannot confirm if this was a hoax, but these guys seemed completely real, and totally uninterested in pretending they weren't as entitled as they presented themselves to be. Starts out with a ping I get in the hoity-toity part of town, about 20 min drive through the hills outside of downtown. I get the ping because I happened to be within 10 min. Didn't want to drive through these hills crawling with deer, but its been slow so I took it. The guy had a 4.5 rating. I've had cases where people with low ratings turned out to be very cool so I took my chances. But here, I arrive to a group of 6 mildly drunk 20-somethings. These are not small dudes, so they're on top of each other in the back, laughing their asses off. The car reeks of booze. I'm not having it. I say "No." They try pleading, then Mr. Big Shot tries to bribe me with $20, but no. The chances of getting pulled over up there is high, and I'm not taking more people than I have seat-belts. I'm not happy, but one guy gets out to call another Uber, and I still get the fare. I inform Mr. Big Shot that his 4.5 might be the result of this sort of b.s. The conversation into town focuses around the star rating system. Then the group starts casually discussing another buddy who "amazingly" decided to quit his job and ended up becoming "the #3 guy in Uber." As in, ALL of Uber. I'm listening to the conversation and they seem to be talking about a real person they're friends with. Then suddenly Mr. Big Shot casually remarks, "you know, I'm just gonna call him and he'll fix my rating for me." I really thought he was full of shit, so I disregarded it, and went back to the conversation. He gets quiet and starts texting. Just before getting out of my car, he holds up his phone and shows me a text conversation with said friend (#3 in Uber), where he asks to have his low ratings wiped out. And Mr. #3 replies, "Done". Mr. Big Shot looks at me and laughs, says, "told ya". And those entitled asses get out of my car. Of course, I got dinged pretty good by someone tonight, gee I wonder if I can call someone at Uber and get it "fixed"?
Do you have a recording to show the media?

Yankee

Do you have a recording to show the media?

I wish I did. Though I might write CSR and ask them about it. This is the second time in a week a pax has "pulled rank" over me by citing his personal friendship with an Uber exec. Last week it was a drunk ass who I had to cancel on due to his behavior, called me AN HOUR later and told me "Do you know Travis? He's a good buddy of mine, and YOU"RE FCKED!"

Toby

Ask him the name of his friend. When he acts frat-boyish like it's top secret info, you tell him that the #3 uber guy, john smith, was in your car last week and the frat boys must be mistaken. You insist and push it until you get a name then you post it.

UberXinSoFlo

I wish I did. Though I might write CSR and ask them about it. This is the second time in a week a pax has "pulled rank" over me by citing his personal friendship with an Uber exec. Last week it was a drunk ass who I had to cancel on due to his behavior, called me AN HOUR later and told me "Do you know Travis? He's a good buddy of mine, and YOU"RE FCKED!"

A CSR wouldn't tell you a thing. They would first cite confidentiality, they wouldn't release any info. Secondly, if they did discover something, they wouldn't do anything about it. If he truly is friends with the "#3 guy" (whatever that means), then the "#3 guy" could get that CSR dismissed pretty quick.

What you should of done (hindsight being 20-20) is ask the guy to ping you again to see his new 5* rating.

I had one guy claim he was a lawyer after I told him he can F himself and canceled on him (he set the pin wrong and started yelling at me for not knowing where he was.. to make it worse, it was early and he sounded sober). He told me that I was done at uber. I saved the voicemail, it was hilarious.

ReviTULize

People name drop and act like they're more important than they are. Most professionals are too busy to worry about doing little favors like changing a rating and don't usually surround themselves with people that would ask. They would have to be really close buddies.

Yankee

Ask him the name of his friend. When he acts frat-boyish like it's top secret info, you tell him that the #3 uber guy, john smith, was in your car last week and the frat boys must be mistaken. You insist and push it until you get a name then you post it.

Yeah, i actually did get the name but I'm kicking myself for not making note of it. There's a part of me that gets so turned off when these dweebs drop names of their "buddies at the top" that I tune them out. Then I regret it.

Tim In Cleveland

Everytime a pax address is off by even a house, I tell them "when you hit the summon car button, it immediately shows you the address it's sending me. If you see it's wrong you can text me the right address". I'm trying to educate them, but most just stare back at me like I'm insane.

Yankee

Everytime a pax address is off by even a house, I tell them "when you hit the summon car button, it immediately shows you the address it's sending me. If you see it's wrong you can text me the right address". I'm trying to educate them, but most just stare back at me like I'm insane.

Yeah, same problem here. In fact, most of the are emphatically defensive insisting its "Uber's fault". I've been lectured by some real haughty types that insist this is an Uber problem. And where does that attitude come from? UBER refusing to effectively educate riders about their role or behavior.