Uber Eats: What is too long to wait for food?

I have had bad experiences at a local Florida restaurant chain Duffy's for uber eats trips.

First time I waited over 10 minutes after arriving (15 minutes after accepting trip) before receiving the food.

Today, different location, waited over 15 minutes before just cancelling and walking out.

I think that if the food isn't ready or within 5 minutes of being ready that the driver should have the right to cancel and the restaurant be on the hook for the cancellation fee. Amirite?

chamomiami

mmmmm i always cancel request from that duffy place down here in Miami because they are in a second floor .. and isnt easy to park around, and relate to your question some time i make my decision regarding how busy is the time is others are calling i cancel after five min but if is slow i just wait, no reason why not (we dont make money if we dont have orders) .

DannyDrives

I've seen people say between 10-15. Also think it depends on how soon you get there.

IIRC the old business for the app was when the food was done they would ping a driver, but they aren't always nearby, so now they ping a driver so the food will be ready when they arrive.

The only pros to UE is that I don't have to place the order, don't have to pay and the food is usually always ready within 5 minutes.

Also read that Uber takes 25% for rides and 30% for drives and you don't get paid to wait so all the waiting is unpaid/free time. I don't like waiting more than 10 minutes, but 15 is my limit. Again it also depends on how long it took me to get there.

I hate McDonald's orders because (when I work late at night) only the drive through is open so I'm waiting in line for 5 minutes if I'm lucky and sometimes up to 10 for not even a $5 order. Needless to say I stop my deliveries at 11PM/12AM. Also hate looking for apartments and mailbox numbers in the dark and driving in creepy areas. Not worth the trouble without a better base pay, if there even is one. Sometimes I will do DD up until 1AM, just depends on how busy and my mood. Don't think you can order MDs on DD. :smiles:

Unleaded

I've seen people say between 10-15. Also think it depends on how soon you get there.

IIRC the old business for the app was when the food was done they would ping a driver, but they aren't always nearby, so now they ping a driver so the food will be ready when they arrive.

The only pros to UE is that I don't have to place the order, don't have to pay and the food is usually always ready within 5 minutes.

Also read that Uber takes 25% for rides and 30% for drives and you don't get paid to wait so all the waiting is unpaid/free time. I don't like waiting more than 10 minutes, but 15 is my limit. Again it also depends on how long it took me to get there.

I hate McDonald's orders because (when I work late at night) only the drive through is open so I'm waiting in line for 5 minutes if I'm lucky and sometimes up to 10 for not even a $5 order. Needless to say I stop my deliveries at 11PM/12AM. Also hate looking for apartments and mailbox numbers in the dark and driving in creepy areas. Not worth the trouble without a better base pay, if there even is one. Sometimes I will do DD up until 1AM, just depends on how busy and my mood. Don't think you can order MDs on DD. :smiles:

I never have to wait more than 5 minutes for Eats orders. I report the delay through the app and none of my recipients ever complain once the meal is delivered. Let’s face it, they didn’t have to lose their space in the parking lot, deal with traffic, sit in the drive up line or drive back to work, which could have compromised their alloted hour for lunch. . We provide a needed service, and a service need which is usually appreciated folliwed by a 1 or 2 dollar tip. Tips add up, and the reality is that we signed up to do the driving and perform the service. Smile as you count the fruits of your chosen labors.

columbuscatlady

I have had bad experiences at a local Florida restaurant chain Duffy's for uber eats trips.

First time I waited over 10 minutes after arriving (15 minutes after accepting trip) before receiving the food.

Today, different location, waited over 15 minutes before just cancelling and walking out.

I think that if the food isn't ready or within 5 minutes of being ready that the driver should have the right to cancel and the restaurant be on the hook for the cancellation fee. Amirite?
I walked out of a place called "Mr. Hero's" today here in Columbus, Oh

Bpr2

Fatburger and 5 guys are notorious for long waits. After the 3rd time at each; I requested no more pick ups from both. Luckily I got a good rep both times and now don’t have to worry about them.

JimHFD103

I waited 20 min today at an IHOP. Took almost 5 min just to get noticed (no one was manning the front desk)....finally someone came up, and said they'd check on the order....a little while later someone else said they'd check on it....I got told the order would be ready in 5 min....10 after that a third person asked me if I've been helped yet, said I had been waiting on the Uber Eats order for almost 20 min at that point. "Well did you talk to anyone about it yet?" "Yeah, you're the third person I've talked too, and neither of the first two have been back with any updates since they disappeared to check on the order" Finally right at the 20 min mark one of the first two staffers shows up to the front desk (only cuz a large party was waiting to be seated, and I had to interrupt her from grabbing the menus and clearly getting set to walk back without talking to me) "I checked, its gonna be a couple more minutes"...this being the 20 min mark I cancelled.

Shoulda Coulda Woulda cancelled at the 10 min mark since I'm capped out on excessive wait time fees already for the month.

So my new personal policy is if I have the Wait Fee available, I'll wait up to 20 min (since I'll get an extra 5 bucks at the 15 min mark) but in cases like today without it, 10 min is my new hard line.

I don't know what y'all are complaining about McDonalds, I rarely wait longer than 5 minutes at them here....it's the IHOPs and Applebees here I've noticed that routinely make me wait for forever and a day

Eugene73

Fatburger and 5 guys are notorious for long waits. After the 3rd time at each; I requested no more pick ups from both. Luckily I got a good rep both times and now don’t have to worry about them.

5 Guys are real SOB's. they see an Uber driver and they purposely leave the order hanging. i let loose on them after a few times when i caught on, probably scared away all the customers that were in line LOL

Bpr2

5 Guys are real SOB's. they see an Uber driver and they purposely leave the order hanging. i let loose on them after a few times when i caught on, probably scared away all the customers that were in line LOL
Have they ever tried to force you to fill drinks? (Which is THEIR job)

krazo

Try Denny's on a Sunday morning. The employees won't even look at you, let alone try to fill the customer's order.

uberboy1212

Depends on the location. The main 5 Guys that I pick up from almost always have the order waiting when I get there. As soon as I walk in someone yells "Ubers here". Pretty surprising because whenever I go there to eat I get annoyed by the long wait times

Try Denny's on a Sunday morning. The employees won't even look at you, let alone try to fill the customer's order.
Yea Denny's and IHOP on Sat/Sun mornings are the worst. I take an extra 10+ minutes before I start heading up. Its crazy that with all the options out there for breakfast so many people still flock to Dennys and IHOP

GruveRecords

Haha I had the same problem with Duffy's back when I started.. I requested to be unmatched with them and have never received another ping from any Duffy's.

Sorien

If you cancel for long wait Uber just sends another driver. That driver will arrive to hot and ready food, so they are unaware of what previously happened. There is no financial incentive for UE to get the restaurant to move on UE orders.

That being said, the only time I've feel I waited too long was on one particular Sunday night where everywhere I went was line-out-the-door busy and I ended up waiting over 20 min twice - for a total of 4 orders though - still made close to $20/hr on each.

Doowop

Isn't it wonderful when you enter a restaurant and the help deliberately fail to make eye contact with you? At a busy restaurant, McDs etc, I sometimes google UBER and click on logo to make it fit screen and stand at counter with cell facing workers. Sometimes it works when they fail to acknowledge you and the meal is sitting right behind them. FWIW

Bob Driver

Funny you should mention 5 guys, in the video below the founder of the chain, says that they will never deliver because it cheapens the brand and it will also make an impression that they may be struggling or something to that effect LOL

So I guess that means that they are struggling and they are another cheap brand burger joint now :smiles:

Kodyhead

I suspect this might be what happened lol. A a place like Duffys probably has 100 employees working, and 85 of them could care less if you are being helped with your uber eats order.

Probably asked some girl, who wanted to help but got distracted getting another blue cheese for one of her customers