• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Uber Eats Pool coming soon to a market near you

CahalM

I'm watching a video now and will include a link to the news article as well. Yes, the thread title is accurate; Uber has probably found yet another way to screw drivers!

Uber is rolling out "pool" for UE; basically it's stacked orders. What does that mean for us? If you've ever done a stacked order then you know but if you're new then let me explain.

You get pings for two orders for the same restaurant but for different customers, at different locations but near one another. In theory it sounds awesome right? But leave it to Uber to just ruin it by only paying us ONE pick up fee! The other thing is that you're paid for mileage on the second order NOT from the restaurant to the customers location, but from the first drop off to the second drop off. So let's say the restaurant is 2.5 miles from the first drop off. You get paid the whole 32 cents per mile (in my market). Now, let's say the second drop off is 0.5 miles from the first drop off. You don't get paid for the 2 miles from the restaurant to the second drop off but the 0.5 miles.

Driver's get screwed, period.
https://techcrunch.com/2018/12/10/uber-ads/

Rickos69

To be totally honest with you, I used to do stacked orders, but have stopped due to the uncertainty of something going wrong during the first drop off. I have to say, that my impression, and I may be wrong, is that stacked orders actually do provide you with more money for the same amount of time.

If you take into account the down time between pings, etc.

The Jax

So let's say the restaurant is 2.5 miles from the first drop off. You get paid the whole 32 cents per mile (in my market). Now, let's say the second drop off is 0.5 miles from the first drop off. You don't get paid for the 2 miles from the restaurant to the second drop off but the 0.5 miles.

Driver's get screwed, period.
https://techcrunch.com/2018/12/10/uber-ads/
Correct me if I am wrong but if you are paid mileage from pickup #A to Drop off #1 and mileage from Drop off #1 to drop off #2, how are you getting screwed? This is the mileage you actually drove.

Nats121

Eats has had stacked orders in most markets for a long time, and it's a RIPOFF.

The current stacked order system is usually limited to 2 orders, the new system will stack more than 2 orders.

Unless you desperately need orders to reach a quest, AVOID stacked orders like the plague.

Uber CHEATS the drivers by paying the driver only ONE pickup fee for both orders despite the fact they charge BOTH customers the full delivery fees.

Uber STEALS the 2nd pickup fee.

Correct me if I am wrong but if you are paid mileage from pickup #A to Drop off #1 and mileage from Drop off #1 to drop off #2, how are you getting screwed? This is the mileage you actually drove.
You get screwed because uber charges both customers a delivery fee but reduces the driver payout for the 2nd order.

Nats121

You are only losing on the pick-up fee. You get one instead of 2. I love stacked orders when doing a quest.
"ONLY" losing a pickup fee?

Before your beloved uber cut the pay in my market, the delivery fee was $2.86, which for most orders was 50% or more of the total payout.

So drivers lost $2.86 every time they did a stacked order.

Since the paycut, our pickup fee has been cut from $2.86 to a pathetic $1.12

amazinghl

$.98 for pickup fee here.

I'd be happy to trade that $.98 pickup fee for another order that makes me better money. As you know, driving to a restaurant often takes more than the $.98 pick up fee if you count the time and gas.

I'm fairly new to driving for UE. I had a 'stacked' order today. It was a pizza joint. 1st delivery is east of the pizza shop. 2nd is west of the pizza shop. I noticed the delivery distance calculation for the second order started from the pizza shop location, which is roughly half way from 1st delivery point. There doesn't seem to be much incentive for me to accept 2 deliveries from the same shop; as the pay combined is roughly only +60% versus an individual delivery.

I had issues with uber app's navigation telling me to go on roads that are blocked off/not yet build - it's a fairly new housing development on the fringes of the suburbs, but that's for another thread...

Sorien

So basically you're complaining you only get paid for the actual work you do. Got it.

stacked orders are extremely time and mileage efficient. The amount you lose in the 2nd pickup fee is more than made up by not having to spend time to drive back to a restaurant - which is ALWAYS the least profitable part of any delivery.

AtomicBlonde

The thing I don't like about stacked deliveries is the risk of an angry second customer. We've all had deliveries take an unexpected turn and end up taking way too long. Uber assumes this never happens (same thing when they start sending you pings before you finish the delivery you're on). What happens if that first dropoff ends up taking 10 minutes? I do like that it looks like (above) that the customer is told up-front that they're sharing a courier, which might mitigate that somewhat, if it ends up working that way.

Ambiguous

Wrong. You only get paid mileage from the restaurant to the drop off. Sometimes drop off #1 is the complete opposite direction of drop off #2, and you end up passing the restaurant again on the way to #2, you do not get paid for those miles.

Androidcoder

... I do like that it looks like (above) that the customer is told up-front that they're sharing a courier, which might mitigate that somewhat, if it ends up working that way.
They've stacked orders here since the beginning, maybe it will be more intense now. Before going into hiatus from the current lack of boosts in Minneapolis, I accepted stacked orders from Five Guys on the bike as I figured it would be be marginally better than waiting for the next ping. Many went in complete opposite directions from the pickup. Cars don't like accepting there as it's on a thin 'bus only' downtown street and like McDonald's they typically don't start the order till you've arrived. Having the second customer warned that his order is on a queue should have been done from the start.

Rickos69

The thing I don't like about stacked deliveries is the risk of an angry second customer. We've all had deliveries take an unexpected turn and end up taking way too long. Uber assumes this never happens (same thing when they start sending you pings before you finish the delivery you're on). What happens if that first dropoff ends up taking 10 minutes? I do like that it looks like (above) that the customer is told up-front that they're sharing a courier, which might mitigate that somewhat, if it ends up working that way.
Exactly me sentiments!!!

I have noticed that they aren't attempting to stack me anymore. They are still pinging me with the next pickup as early as when I'm still in the previous pickup parking lot. But I don't accept those anymore either. No more giving anyone an excuse for late Pickup thumbs down.

Last edited:

CahalM

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
And as a result of several recent "guaranteed" amount on stacked orders I just got feedback saying I was late delivering food.... SERIOUSLY???!!! It's not my fault there were no driver's in the area willing to pick up your McDouble, small fry and cup of water and being the nice person that I am... I took the order. It's also not my fault that McDonald's didn't have the food ready..... Nor that the order ahead of you took an extra 15 minutes to deliver because the customer was an idiot and wanted to do nothing to help themselves actually get their foif faster if they could just give me their apartment information.

yorker

I only do about 30% of them. One Friday night, I dropped off my second order to customer that said he ordered 2 hours ago. I think it did take me 1 1/2 hours to get it to him. No slow down on my part. Traffic and distance from first to second.
And IF your second drop off is at the same apartment coplex, expect only a drop off fee for the second deelivery. Here it is about .75 cents

Sorien

Wrong. You only get paid mileage from the restaurant to the drop off. Sometimes drop off #1 is the complete opposite direction of drop off #2, and you end up passing the restaurant again on the way to #2, you do not get paid for those miles.
not that I've seen. But then I don't get stacked order unless they are going generally the same direction. I've never seen one the opposite direction. When that happens the order does not get picked up.

In fact Tuesday I had 3 pickups in a row from the same restaurant, all in different directions so I had to drive back each time.

DiceyDan

Yep...I received a thumbs down for "late drop off" and that's the last stacked ping I take. I knew sooner or later this would be a problem. First customer tipped me second gave me the finger lol. Lesson learned.