• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Uber Eats on a bicycle

pwdinwy

Recently signed up for uber eats, on a bicycle. Waiting for my police check. Now debating whether or not I should actually do it (dont have a bike yet, so will need to buy one before doing any work).

From anyones experience, is it worth doing it around Perth on a bicycle?

Also anyone got a simple answer for whether or not I need ABN and GST.

ATO said I need them... though I'm not sure the woman was aware of Uber eats, just uber.

Any help will do? Thanks

UberDriverAU

I wouldn't touch UberEATS with a ten foot pole personally. If you're not doing UberX, XL, or Black as well, then you'll only need an ABN. GST registration isn't mandatory for delivering food.

UberDriverAU

I doubt anyone doing UberX, etc, is doing UberEATS. Compare rates after GST and Uber's fee:

UberX on 20%
Time: $0.2269/min
Distance: $0.7091/km

UberEATS on 35%
Time: $0. 00/min
Distance: $0.5032/km

If you averaged 30 km/hr on your push-bike you'd average $15.10/hour before expenses (admittedly low for a bicycle) and income tax. So you'd need to be doing lots of deliveries (to clock up those pickup and drop off fees) and cycling at a decent speed to make it half worthwhile.

Compare that to an average speed of 30 km/hr doing UberX. You'd earn $34.89/hour before expenses and income tax.

For you the rates will be a little higher because you don't need to register for GST:

UberEATS on 35%
Time: $0. 00/min
Distance: $0.5850/km

So at 30 km/hr you'd make $17.55/hr before expenses and income tax. Again, you'd need to clock up those deliveries at a fast rate to make it worthwhile.

pwdinwy

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
So to confirm... I don't need need to pay GST?

How easy is it to do a tax return? I have 2 jobs I already pay tax on, and this is deducted from my wage anyway... so now that I have o fill a tax return, will this affect the tax I pay on my other jobs?

UberDriverAU

So to confirm... I don't need need to pay GST?
If you can confirm you won't be carrying passengers for reward or running any other type of business, then you won't need to pay GST.

How easy is it to do a tax return? I have 2 jobs I already pay tax on, and this is deducted from my wage anyway... so now that I have o fill a tax return, will this affect the tax I pay on my other jobs?
Depending on your tax bracket, you'll also need to put aside, for example, ~34.5 cents per dollar in profit. It's not rocket science doing your own tax return, but unless you're good with numbers is complicated enough to cause you lots of grief.

pwdinwy

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I am here on a working holiday visa and therefore pay 15% tax. The profit you mention of, is that only my profit for ubereats? Or for all my other jobs? (which I wouldn't call profit).

UberDriverAU

I am here on a working holiday visa and therefore pay 15% tax. The profit you mention of, is that only my profit for ubereats? Or for all my other jobs? (which I wouldn't call profit).
Ok, I'm not sure what the arrangement is if you're on a 417 visa and running your own business on top of working two other jobs. If you've got taxable income less than $37K, you might get the 15% rate or you might have to pay 32. 5%. You'll need to confirm with the ATO what applies in your situation. Just make it clear to them that you're not providing "taxi travel". Profit is your business income less your business expenses. It doesn't matter what you call it, you have to pay income tax on it.