Inshur

Uber Eats drivers protest about their meagre pay of six shillings a week.

Mr. Mister

Fair play to them. Seems like they are getting paid more than the uber car drivers though if you take into account the cost of the bike versus a car. Uber trying to shaft them the same way they shaft the drivers. At least they have grown a pair of balls and are trying to do something about it. Shame that uber drivers only have balls and mouths on this forum.
The only way uber can operate is by paying their drivers and bikers slave wages.
And people on here say black cab drivers are jealous and our trade is dying.
Meanwhile in other news uber drivers are getting free yoga lessons, to enable them to bend over further for travis every time they go to work.

Karl Marx

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Fair play to them. Seems like they are getting paid more than the uber car drivers though if you take into account the cost of the bike versus a car. Uber trying to shaft them the same way they shaft the drivers. At least they have grown a pair of balls and are trying to do something about it. Shame that uber drivers only have balls and mouths on this forum.
The only way Uber can operate is by paying their drivers and bikers slave wages.
And people on here say black cab drivers are jealous and our trade is dying.
Meanwhile in other news uber drivers are getting free yoga lessons, to enable them to bend over further for travis every time they go to work.
Unfortunately Uber Eats seems to be at breaking point at least in the UK. The reach of Uber is now TRANSNATIONAL and this protest would set a bad precedent for Uber to deal with. Having done my taxi/limo days as a grad and undergraduate student ( many years ago) I know the economics of the industry and several months of not working enticed me into the business after a 30 year absence. From mid town Manhattan to LaGuardia Uber/Lyft is 40% of a cab, but even better, NO TIP. Uber has set up drivers to be little better than indentured labour. Taxi business was regulated for a reason. Back in the depression ( which many academics and even enlightened business people think we are in right now ) and after Wall Street handed us "help us" or we'll F U all. So many cabs we're roaming the streets of NYC, nobody made any money. But as well all know politics is crooked. The taxi business to save it from itself became regulated. As bad as it was for drivers, at least many of them made a fair and decent living wage. The rich ones owned the plates and the corruption became endemic and as we know, money makes money. Uber is trying to do a Jeff Bezos business model. Having worked in the book trade I saw how Amazon would order books and sell them for less than we sold to them at net pricing. Uber is desperately trying to keep their business model the same in the way Amazon destroyed the book trade. The Uber driver that goes to the Port for 60% less than a cab is indicative of how far capitalism has failed us and people behind us. For many mainstream economists they're are simply to many risks in speaking out. The Brexit vote was not about race it was about the need to have decent well paying and honourable work. My cohort did well under the fair rules of Glass-Steagall and knew Clinton was a republican, we knew the American/Canadian free trade agreement was the undoing of the manufacturing base. We didn't say anything, we kept on as long as we could but the corporate elite and in their full incompetence and greed, plodded into abyss. Many workers have reached their wits end and find little hope in a future of 0 hours contracts. I tried this for 3 months and I can honestly say it almost destroyed me physically and mentally. I know how these owners think and operate and they couldn't give a S___ about their fellow human beings.These information capitalists have no idea of what it means to work. Digital slavery is just at its' very beginnings. If we all lay down and die collectively than we'll have only ourselves to blame. PS. drivers should all be wearing masks when protesting.

Karl Marx

Got it - you're an international company if you also operate in China and India; transnational if you do not operate in those two.
China is largest market in the world for transportation. Americans arrived too late.

renod babek

Bless them. Don't worry they'll soon be replaced . They weren't complaining when they where getting bribed £20 hour were they?
Shouldn't of worked for them in 1st place. They made it what it is.
Peoples greed and short sightedness. Zzzzz
Back to sleep. ..ZZZzz.

Attachments

Mr. Mister

Unfortunately Uber Eats seems to be at breaking point at least in the UK. The reach of Uber is now TRANSNATIONAL and this protest would set a bad precedent for Uber to deal with. Having done my taxi/limo days as a grad and undergraduate student ( many years ago) I know the economics of the industry and several months of not working enticed me into the business after a 30 year absence. From mid town Manhattan to LaGuardia Uber/Lyft is 40% of a cab, but even better, NO TIP. Uber has set up drivers to be little better than indentured labour. Taxi business was regulated for a reason. Back in the depression ( which many academics and even enlightened business people think we are in right now ) and after Wall Street handed us "help us" or we'll F U all. So many cabs we're roaming the streets of NYC, nobody made any money. But as well all know politics is crooked. The taxi business to save it from itself became regulated. As bad as it was for drivers, at least many of them made a fair and decent living wage. The rich ones owned the plates and the corruption became endemic and as we know, money makes money. Uber is trying to do a Jeff Bezos business model. Having worked in the book trade I saw how Amazon would order books and sell them for less than we sold to them at net pricing. Uber is desperately trying to keep their business model the same in the way Amazon destroyed the book trade. The Uber driver that goes to the Port for 60% less than a cab is indicative of how far capitalism has failed us and people behind us. For many mainstream economists they're are simply to many risks in speaking out. The Brexit vote was not about race it was about the need to have decent well paying and honourable work. My cohort did well under the fair rules of Glass-Steagall and knew Clinton was a republican, we knew the American/Canadian free trade agreement was the undoing of the manufacturing base. We didn't say anything, we kept on as long as we could but the corporate elite and in their full incompetence and greed, plodded into abyss. Many workers have reached their wits end and find little hope in a future of 0 hours contracts. I tried this for 3 months and I can honestly say it almost destroyed me physically and mentally. I know how these owners think and operate and they couldn't give a S___ about their fellow human beings.These information capitalists have no idea of what it means to work. Digital slavery is just at its' very beginnings. If we all lay down and die collectively than we'll have only ourselves to blame. PS. drivers should all be wearing masks when protesting.
A fascinating post. Worth reading twice. You are obviously an intelligent man.
Unfortunately the slaves over here just don't get it however much you try to tell them.

renod babek

Well, no; that's the point. They were happy with 20 per hour, and would like the pay to go back up towards that number. Have another read of the article.
I don't need to. No one is holding a gun to their heads and forcing them to work for them. This is not on par with disrupting thousands of jobs that went b4 uber eats, unlike Taxis/private hire & blowing away the incumbents businesses.
It's a minimum investment self employed job.
Unlike private hire/Taxi profession. Which can run into £10"s of thousands.
I'm sure that these guys won't be doing this kind of work for Years, again, unlike Private hire/ Taxi drivers.

Last edited:

elelegido

I don't need to. No one is holding a gun to their heads and forcing them to work for them. This is not on par with disrupting thousands of jobs that went b4 uber eats, unlike Taxis/private hire & blowing away the incumbents businesses.
It's a minimum investment self employed job.
What it is, is companies using the loophole of independent contractor status to get around minimum wage and minimum benefit requirements, and governments not willing to do anything about it. Yes, workers can quit, but that's not the point. By that logic, there is no need for minimum wage, or statutory benefits, because workers could always just quit if they didn't get them.

Karl Marx

What it is, is companies using the loophole of independent contractor status to get around minimum wage and minimum benefit requirements, and governments not willing to do anything about it. Yes, workers can quit, but that's not the point. By that logic, there is no need for minimum wage, or statutory benefits, because workers could always just quit if they didn't get them.
Neoliberalism had a long run for the elites and a kick in the teeth to the workers that made those fortunes. Information capital disrespect for its customers and workers is just part of a larger plan of manipulation and control. They are very strong adversaries willing to go to any length to dismantle any threat to the digital order or unless you are China.

renod babek

My friend,
its been going on well before the gig economy started. And Government now supplies tax credits etc. If Uber supplied the Scooters uniform/insurance. Then perhaps they could be classed as employed. But they don't. I've been through all this with HMRC many moons ago. That's why ph operators rent the drivers the vehicles.

renod babek

Neoliberalism had a long run for the elites and a kick in the teeth to the workers that made those fortunes. Information capital disrespect for its customers and workers is just part of a larger plan of manipulation and control. They are very strong adversaries willing to go to any length to dismantle any threat to the digital order or unless you are China.
I wouldn't big up China either. That was a Thatcher/Regan policy, that has now came to fruit. From citizens to consumers we have become. From Gulags to Yangtze River delta, the peasant has become entwined to us.

elelegido

My friend,
its been going on well before the gig economy started. And Government now supplies tax credits etc. If Uber supplied the Scooters uniform/insurance. Then perhaps they could be classed as employed. But they don't. I've been through all this with HMRC many moons ago. That's why ph operators rent the drivers the vehicles.
Of course it has. I used to work as an IT contractor in the 90s. We workers used to prefer contractor status because it meant we'd pay much less tax. The revenue didn't like us treating ourselves as the contractors; they were missing out on a lot of tax revenue, and clamped down. It's all about money, as always. If the government somehow lost money because of the gig economy employmeent loopholes you can bet they'd close them up tighter than a duck's arsehole. But, because they're not, and there's virtually no public spotlight on the issue, nothing changes.